What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Serious Seventy Watts

grouchy

You have had nice buds before I am sure you will have them again. I will be following along on this one for sure. :joint:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
because of the nature of coco, i always thought if you were hand watering it was with medium and coarse coco. the fine coco hold water for quite some time, almost as long as a good soil mix.

SeriousNerd

A quick update:

The G13xHP was extremely dry, the BG very dry when I watered them each with 150ml PHd water + roots supplement 12 hours ago. Plants still look bad and grow slowly. Still the new growth looks promising. I think they'll make it.

I didn't measure runoff as I didn't want to overwater them again. Is there a way to get runoff without risking this?

Regarding coco: I didn't know it came in different versions. I've always been using coco bricks like this: http://www.hydroponics.co.uk/BioNovaCocoBrick-Product-741.html. Perhaps now is a good time to re-read that handwatering coco thread :1help:

Some pics:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you're supposed to water till theres some runoff, overwatering isnt when you water too much as the name might suggest, its when you water them more when theyre still wet and cutoff the oxygen from the roots. you need some runoff to ensure that the soil is thoroughly wet, and to flush out any excess salts that build up at the bottom of the pot. as the water is drawn up by the roots it is replaced with oxygen.

but you should be alright, if theres new growth then the problem is being fixed.

SeriousNerd

Thanks for the clarification regarding runoff and overwatering, stihgnobevoli.

Today I gave an easy feeding of 1ml+1ml Coco A+B per 1l of water @ PH 5.8. I watered until runoff, runoff PH was ~5.9 for the BG and ~5.8 for the G13xHP. Looks OK I guess.

grouchy

I read somewhere on here that you can add a little hydrogen peroxide to your water to help the roots get more oxygen. I don't know how much or if its compatible with coco but it may be worth looking into.

Hella THC

Regarding letting coco dry out in general: The hand watering coco thread mentions in the first post not to do it, and to water often. But it may be that this only applies to plants with a more developed root system (I overwatered my girls at the first watering after planting the clones).

I was having an issue with over watering as well. My plants looked healthy, and they were staying very green, but there was just no growth. Well, I was feeding them daily, and not allowing them to grow.

The only problem I see with message boards like these are, everyone wants ANSWERS when they really should be looking for SUGGESTIONS. Nothing in set in stone with growing Cannabis (I figured that out that hard way) and you just really have to let the plants be in charge. They know what they need and will tell you when they need it. Just learn to speak their language :D

Pyrosin

i would recommend rehabing your plants then clone from them as they had a bad start thats just gonna get you shit for a harvest. let the medium dry out before you water, the plant likes the wet/dry cycle itll pump that girl for all shes got.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
Something I have not mentioned yet: The clones were rooted in rockwool, and I buried the rockwool in the coco. I don't know if there's another way to do it, but it seems like it might play a role with the overwatering issue - I would guess that rockwool is more prone to overwatering than coco.

Hmm i am not positive, but with Soil + rockwool we leave the rockwool cube half way out of the medium, so only the lower half is buried. I imagine it would probably be the same for coco, this way the rw isn't constantly drenched.

SeriousNerd

grouchy, thanks for the hydrogen peroxide suggestion. Using the search, I couldn't find any definite information on here. A bit of googling got me this link: http://thegardenguy.tripod.com/omma/id15.html, but I'd like to read a bit more about it before I use it. It sounds like a very good way to prevent overwatering, though.

Hella THC, true, growing weed isn't an exact science. I always tell myself that if things always went smoothly, they wouldn't be much fun. The best learning experiences are those that hurt the most. :2cents:

Pyrosin, cloning the plants and restarting is an interesting idea. Tomorrow I'll leave for a week, and if there hasn't been substantial growth when I return, I will do just that.

thekingofNY, thanks for the suggestion! It makes sense - I'll try it next time.

Finally, two shots of my patients:

SeriousNerd

Yesterday, I came back from my trip. Growth was very underwhelming, so I decided to take up Pyrosin's suggestion: I cut up the plants into clones, and am now rooting them using Grandma's method: No rooting hormones, cuts go into straight water. It's the first time I'm taking clones, so I'm keeping it simple. Apparently, people have been doing it this way with some success.

In the next days, I'll get some perlite to mix with the coco. I'll report back as soon as some clones have rooted. Sorry for the slow start, but there will be buds in this cab, someday...

SeriousNerd

OK, so the BG and G13xHP are no more - sorry to everyone rooting for them. Heh.

Welcome my two newest victi... er, guests: 2 Super Silver Haze clones, this time planted in a nice perlite/coco mix, with the rockwool cubes sticking out a bit, to prevent me from making the same mistakes (i.e. overwatering) again. They were planted on the 10th, so they are now 10 days old and making good progress. I flipped to 12/12 after a week of letting them get settled in, so they're on their 3rd day now.

oct 18

oct 20

When you compare the canopy shots, you can see the rapid growth of the side shots. I read somewhere on here that LST and SCROG work so well because when the top of the plant is forced to grow horizontally, the plant actively diverts its growth into the side shots, to generate new colas to replace the old one. So the methods do not only force the existing growth into the place you want, but encourage the plant to grow differently in the future. But as you're reading the micro forum you probably know all of this and more already :D

grouchy

The bright side to your earlier tragedy is that when you threaten your new plants they will take you seriously.:D

Mk3Jetta

^lol

Hey SeriousNerd, those new plants look great btw. between the 18th and 20th it looks as though they blew up!

NJ

Latest posts

Latest posts