What's new

I Bought an Ounce in Michigan for $39!

imiubu

The big commercial growers are cutting corners to increase profit margins at the expense of quality. Don't kid yourself they know how to grow good dope for their own personal stash.
Reminds me of an instance in the mid-late 90's when my buddy was learning to grow ID. He brought me some beautiful looking/ smelling herb from his first harvest. Man, it ticked all the boxes until... taste and effects... there was NONE! Even the crappiest brick weed of the past had better taste and effects. I called him and let him know that unfortunately I could not move this stuff and why. Of course he was disappointed but ended up honing his craft in time.

Could you explain how LED grown herb is doesn't measure up in your opinion? What creates the deficit over other lighting? thx

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Reminds me of an instance in the mid-late 90's when my buddy was learning to grow ID. He brought me some beautiful looking/ smelling herb from his first harvest. Man, it ticked all the boxes until... taste and effects... there was NONE! Even the crappiest brick weed of the past had better taste and effects. I called him and let him know that unfortunately I could not move this stuff and why. Of course he was disappointed but ended up honing his craft in time.

Could you explain how LED grown herb is doesn't measure up in your opinion? What creates the deficit over other lighting? thx
Already a thread about it..... but in my opinion is that hps creates a higher leaf temperature and plants are less sensitive to environmental issues. Led seems to require closer attention to temps, co2 and humidity. That and there are several leds available that have improved every year. A lot of people seems to have a bad experience witv a particular model and are turned off by all leds from that point on.

linde

LED grown plants require more nutrients than HiD grown plants for whatever scientific reason I don't know...but in my opinion don't have the burn quality of hid grown smoke. Pump a plant full of calmag and extra fertilizer and the bud quality will suffer everytime. Regardless of flush or not. Those chemicals stay in the bud and can be tasted. I don't want to turn this into an LED vs Hps thread so I'll leave it at that.

HalfArsedFarmer

Maybe so to some growers. I've done side by side grows and Hps comes out on top but thats another whole can of worms. I shouldn't have brought up the LED thing on this thread....my bad sorry.
Nothing to be sorry about friend. It's what's happening in your area. They could be using fluro tubes/ HPS and cutting corners. As I thought, growers not tools.

moose eater

The title says it all! I bought an OZ of outdoor-grown weed in a Michigan dispensary last weekend for $39! I couldn't believe it! I haven't got an OZ for under $40 since the early 80's! Not the best I ever smoked, but far from the worst. The strain is Macaroon, whatever that is, lol.

Yes, I know, it's bad news for the growers, but is sure is great for us consumers! In this neighboring (and illegal) state that I live in, quarter oz's regularly go for $80- quarters!

Anybody bought an ounce for less than $39 lately?
I let go of some of my stored, sealed frozen oz's to a family member in need for $60 the other day. Satori #5.

:)

imiubu

Already a thread about it..... but in my opinion is that hps creates a higher leaf temperature and plants are less sensitive to environmental issues. Led seems to require closer attention to temps, co2 and humidity. That and there are several leds available that have improved every year. A lot of people seems to have a bad experience witv a particular model and are turned off by all leds from that point on.
Thx. I scouted down a couple threads to delve into :)

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I don't know. Some of y'all must be smoking straight out of God's own stash box. Lume is where I got my $39 oz, and a previous poster claims all they sell is shit. So I don't know, I started smoking in 1973, so I think I know good weed from bad weed. Many of my friends have smoked weed from different Michigan dispos in the last couple years. None of them ever said, "This weed is shit."

I'm sure there's some homegrown that's better than what you can get commercially, sometimes even my own. And I don't like them tumbling the kief off my weed either. But to just act like all the weed in all the dispos is just pure crap, well it says more about you than the weed, I think. Sour grapes maybe?

linde

I tried a couple of their " breath" strains that seemed to have a little more flavored and kick. Worth $17 an eighth. Hell when I started smoking in mid 80s shit brick weed cost more than that. Definitely good for the consumer I guess. These millennial kids are in heaven

Old Piney

shouldn't have brought up the LED thing on this thread....my bad sorry.
So I really don't know anything about lights but what a do know is fertilizer and that's what affects the taste a lot. In my state New Jersey the legal state-licensed growers all use chemical fertilizer and that's just plain nasty. I'm sure that top-quality weed can be grown using LED lighting even hydroponically but organic fertilizer / nutrients are a must

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
i certainly didn't say all disp's sell crap weed...but.... if i'm spending 30,40,50 bucks for an eighth... or as some asshole said 80bucks (oops that ass was me) the weed better be better then what i can grow... and in my exp. its not...
Sorry if I put words in your mouth. And I'm not saying all disp's sell good weed either. But as the weed gets both better and cheaper, there will be more good deals.

And some of the same people bitching about dispensary prices are some of the same people who bitch about growers getting screwed on prices. You can't have it both ways! Unless of course, you grow your own and supplement your stash with dispensary visits. I think of it as research.

linde

So I really don't know anything about lights but what a do know is fertilizer and that's what affects the taste a lot. In my state New Jersey the legal state-licensed growers all use chemical fertilizer and that's just plain nasty. I'm sure that top-quality weed can be grown using LED lighting even hydroponically but organic fertilizer / nutrients are a must
Agree organics much better burn quality. But I'll bet u a bud that big-time commercial operations are using cheap chemical ferts to save money. Therefore resulting in harsh flavorless product. Then flash drying their stuff and running it thru shakers so they can make tinctures waxes and edibles. Somewhere along the way pride gets thrown out the window.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Sounds like Colorado in the early A64 days. Lots of trash as growers attempt to learn the ropes and a slow, slow quality climb over the coming years.

And... that price was without million acre outdoor crops being harvested yet. Opening a standard dispensary 'grow' facility is a tough business to get in now. Glad I said no a few years ago.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I attribute most of the horrible taste of dispensary pot to the pesticides and (more importantly) becaue they don't cure the pot before they sell it. It's usually bone dry and less than 2 weeks off the vine.

Sure, cheap nutes don't help but it's an accumulation of a number of things. Mostly stemming from profit motives.

I look at dispensary pot vs home grown as fine wine vs cheap wine.

One is a fine California Reserve Cabernet with an amazing bouquet, a taste that explodes in your mouth at just the right moment and a wonderful, mellow wine buzz.

The other is Mad dog Mogen David MD20/20. Shit will fuck you up and introduce you to the porcelain god.

I suppose it's whatever you want in life. Fine wine or the Mad Dog.

Both will get you high.

Old Piney

Times are a changing back in the day ( 84 to 92 ) I was fetching $ 400 an oz for really good outdoor home grown. I'm not looking to sell now but I'm thinking $100 an oz now

RobFromTX

I attribute most of the horrible taste of dispensary pot to the pesticides and (more importantly) becaue they don't cure the pot before they sell it. It's usually bone dry and less than 2 weeks off the vine.

Sure, cheap nutes don't help but it's an accumulation of a number of things. Mostly stemming from profit motives.

I look at dispensary pot vs home grown as fine wine vs cheap wine.

One is a fine California Reserve Cabernet with an amazing bouquet, a taste that explodes in your mouth at just the right moment and a wonderful, mellow wine buzz.

The other is Mad dog Mogen David MD20/20. Shit will fuck you up and introduce you to the porcelain god.

I suppose it's whatever you want in life. Fine wine or the Mad Dog.

Both will get you high.
Oh man i get a headache just remembering drinking that cheap ass wine in high school. The worst was the blue raspberry, It didnt take me long to move up to boone farms :biggrin:

Ca++

Over the pond in the UK, the cheap garbage from the immigrants is getting difficult for the amateur grower to ignore. With electric prices on the rise, and the poor yield a newbie often gets, many have quit. The financial incentive to grow there own, no longer looking good beside the sentence if caught. The supply of good stuff is a bit thin in many circles, and it's reflected in the sales of new equipment and supplies. The current economic downturn has not led to people starting up more grows. The price of power is too great. It's the big boys stealing it, that are doing alright.

We should keep in mind, that much of our UK money, leaves the UK if we buy this muck. The russians for instance, have set up a couple of staff from one local shop, with their own shop, simply to be partners and get cheap supplies. Likely with a little laundry, but I don't know that much. These UK guys want out, but in effect, are stuck working for the russians, in a situation that no sanctions can effect.

I may of left the topic.. sorry.

About £80 an oz to people that are just buying the one. About $100 when they should be paying $200

Latest posts

Latest posts