What's new

Hella's 35 gal Rubbermaid grow (336w CFL, Bagseed) *1st Grow*

Hella THC

ScrubNinja - The louver works exactly like your DIY light trap, only the design is a little more complex. I guess that's why I paid $20 for it. The T shaped PVC still lets light out. I'm hoping for the fan to arrive today so I can hook up my ducting and make it light proof.

Dr Fill-A-Bong - Welcome to IC Mag! Glad to have you here as part of the show. ;) They really do bring a tear to the eye, don't they? They are so beautiful with their little tails :D

Everyone else - I had a big long list of thank you's but I somehow managed to delete it :( So a big thank you to everyone who has joined in so far!

More updates later tonight/early tomorrow morning. (I'm a night owl)

Best,

- Hella

Hella THC

Short update tonight, but an update none the less. No pictures, unfortunately; I know that's what everyone wants to see ;)

The seedings are all in the soil! Only 2 have yet to germinate (from bag seed #1). I'm still waiting on them. Although to be honest, it's not the end of the world if they don't sprout... I hardly have room for the 17 I have crammed in there now! I guess if that's my worst problem, I'm doing alright! I'll get em sexed and then I'll see how much room I'm working with. I plan to get a tent midway through this grow so I can start a perpetual deal going. I never want to pay for my smoke again :joint:

The fan didn't arrive today. Bastards... :cuss: My make shift solution was to put a normal desk fan on top of the exhaust. It's efficient enough. I can feel air coming through the louver at the bottom. After an hour of use, the inside temp was 89 F, which is fine for this stage of growth :woohoo: All pots have been labeled and are sitting about 8" under the lights. 3am is when they go to sleep, and then they get drenched in wonderful artificial sunlight starting again at 9am :D Time to put your shades on, ladies! :cool: I've been talking to them all as if they were females. I figure it couldn't hurt for a little positive encouragement.

I'll see if any of them have popped their head above soil tomorrow night.

Next up on the shopping list: Digital camera. It's a must at this point!

All the best,

- Hella

zenoonez

Veteran
Sounds like things are going well. I have just two questions tonight, how are you planing to water these beauties? I mean it looks to me like those pots are just sitting in the bottom of the rubbermaid which I don't guess is a real problem but I would just think it would be easier to put a small tray in there to catch the runoff. Do you plan on bubbling your nutrients?

Hella THC

zenoonez - The pots in the picture were just placed there as a visual aid. I built a little contraption to raise the pots, as well as some metal baking pans to place the pots in so the runoff doesn't touch the box itself. I want to keep it as clean as possible. This cannabis will be used by myself and some others as medicinal relief and I want to keep it as neat as possible :joint: As far as the nutrients, the GH General Organics line is more of a mix and feed. I'll be mixing before every feeding. They say it must be heavily aerated if mixed more than 24 hours prior to feeding, and I don't have any sort of bubbling system. Hope that answers everything!

zenoonez

Veteran
zenoonez - The pots in the picture were just placed there as a visual aid. I built a little contraption to raise the pots, as well as some metal baking pans to place the pots in so the runoff doesn't touch the box itself. I want to keep it as clean as possible. This cannabis will be used by myself and some others as medicinal relief and I want to keep it as neat as possible :joint: As far as the nutrients, the GH General Organics line is more of a mix and feed. I'll be mixing before every feeding. They say it must be heavily aerated if mixed more than 24 hours prior to feeding, and I don't have any sort of bubbling system. Hope that answers everything!

Answers them perfectly :). A bubbling system isn't hard to setup if you want to do it in the future. Looking good, got my popcorn -> :lurk:

Pyrosin

im interested to see how it does when your fan comes... should be at your ambient temp once its in then youll be rolling. nice box dude ill be watching

Hella THC

Pyrosin - Thanks! I'm interested to see how it goes too!

growMEDS - Thanks man, you know you're always welcome here as well :D

Well, the fan arrived today! :woohoo: I'll be wiring it up tonight! It should keep things at ambient which is the ultimate goal here.

Sorry about no new pics... now that the ladies are in the ground, I don't feel comfortable using the cell phone camera. There's more to the story, but bottom line is, better be safe than sorry, and I'm holding out until I get the digital camera. Should be by this weekend though. See you all later tonight, with the fan!

Hella THC

The fan is installed and it's very nice! It was simple to wire as well, which I really appreciate. I decided to hell with it, and I snapped a crappy cell phone picture of the fan and the ducting.

I'm going to put tape over the holes that aren't quite light proof, and then things should be good. My only complaint right now is that I'm not positive how far from the lights they are. I would say about 6 inches.

Hopefully they will pop their heads above the soil in the nest few days. :abduct:

I think I'm going to slide the fan over to the right a little bit and then build a little pulley device attached to the top box so I can hoist it up like a set of blinds! I measured tonight and there is enough room to do it! It will make it so much easier to work with. I'm positive I want to get a tent as soon as I can. As much fun as this is, I already want better :D

Best,

- Hella

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Very nice HTHC! Do you know it's good to avoid bends in ducting? I guess you may be doing that to stop the light leak? Great idea for the riser. Rock on.

Hella THC

I know it's bad to have bends, but the reason its like that is because I need a lot of slack to put the lid on the floor when I slide the box out. When I implement the riser, I will be able to keep it straight. The fan over powered for the box anyway. 135 CFM is doing a good job :D

Oh, and I need to throw out a huge endorsement for S&P fans. Cheap. QUIET!! Efficient. Awesome.

Hella THC

Well, good and bad news tonight. First...

THE BAD
  • The soil wasn't anywhere NEAR wet enough and they dried out big time under the lights. I watered them big time. I watered until runoff and then let em sit, then watered to runoff again. There's a nice amount of perlite in the soil and it's very airy. I don't even think I could over water these things :bashhead: I'll just have to give them a nice bath daily.
  • Temps were getting too hot so I pulled two of the 42w CFLs and it made a world of difference! The box is at ambient temp of 80 F and theres amazing airflow in the box.
  • I realized I had them way too close to the lights :wallbash: I mean, we're talkin maybe 2 inches. I just didn't measure that well I guess, because when I measured today, I about shat my pants. I felt like such a noob. But I'm happy to admit it, because I know I'll never make this error again. It's all in the learning curve. :badday:
THE GOOD
  • Remember those two seeds that never germinated? Well, I decided to leave em in their terrariumesque environment and just let them do their thing. I checked on em today, and holy smokes, they were begging to get planted. One of them had already shed its seed casing and was starting to split at the top... beginning to form leaves :yoinks: !! After changing my shorts from the excitement, I potted them both. I can now say I achieved a 100% germ rate :woohoo:
  • I was finally able to know and see the difference between appropriately wet soil, and harmfully dry. I learned how my pots feel after a nice watering, and I can now compare it to what is dangerously dry. A valuable lesson :joint:
  • I learned to never give up and just take the hard knocks as stepping stones to an eventual final product that will be worth my time and effort. :cool:

So overall I'm happy with how things are going. I fucked up, I know, but I know for sure I'll have a few that make it through. I'm hopeful, and happy that two of the seeds got a fresh start today!

Thanks for stopping by,

- Hella