What's new

Hella's 35 gal Rubbermaid grow (336w CFL, Bagseed) *1st Grow*

Hella THC

Went and grabbed myself a nice digital camera tonight! It's a 12 megapixel, macro features... nothing super fancy. Olympus FE-3010. It should get the job done. It's charging as we speak. Won't be able to get any pictures with it tonight unfortunately.

So after all the scares the last few days, I had four little babies staring up at me today! :woohoo: The one that I planted last night, the one that was already starting to show leaves, it's looking great! You can already see the first set of serrated leaves starting to grow. It's dark green and healthy! The other three that have sprouted are just showing starter leaves, but they are thriving as well :yoinks:

I'm so excited! I actually have little plants! Brings a wee tear to me eye :D I feel like a kid on his first day of school! I wish I could get a picture or two tonight, but hopefully tomorrow, more of them will show their heads and I'll snap a bunch of pics so I can introduce you to the newest members of my family :grouphug:

They are all watered good, and ready to grow some more! I'm tickled with joy! Hehe.

See ya tomorrow!

- Hella

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hmmm the FE-3010 :chin: *glances over the specs sheet*

Shakeproof anti blur mode - check!
Red-eye fix - check!
Macro mode - check!

The perfect camera!

Hella THC

I'm still working on my macro skills, but here are the six that are showing their faces.

And here is a group shot...

And here is the grow box in it's entirety...

GH General Organics line (No Bio Bud yet. Will get it later into flowering)

So as you can see, some of the babies are very happy. The burning/dryness is just about gone, and is only visible on 1-2 plants. I'll be adding a touch of CaMg+ to my feedings tomorrow. I mean, just the smallest bit. I think that might help the wilt. I'm watering with distilled water as well, so it's dead water.

Hopefully you all enjoyed the pics!

Hella THC

Well, mostly bad news this time around :wallbash: Sorry for the lack of updates. The reason for this is because the ladies have pretty much done nothing. One of the seeds I planted late that I thought would for sure do something has just stalled out. Another one that I had just about given up on has found new life and started growing taller. All of the others have stayed exactly the same (maybe gotten greener/grown a tiny bit) and one was given up on altogether when I tried moving a chuck of perlite out of its way and ended up finding out it had ZERO root system... just a little green sprout. I figured this out when it uprooted with a single pass of my finger. :noway:

I now have two babies that are still very healthy, they just refuse to grow. I guess I'm no expert, and maybe its normal for this slowed growth, but from other grow reports, these things should be exploding by now. None of them have made any effort to grow OUT, just steadily upwards. It shouldn't be a lighting issue... they are 8 inches away, and I'm nervous about moving them closer as I fried the shit out of the other 10-15 poor little things (they are still getting watered and everything, but I've given up on most of them). The two healthy seedlings are about 3" tall, and haven't even started to "node" yet. The seedlings look like this still, just a little taller...

For those of you just joining the show, I am now on day ten. Granted, they were just little seeds with tails ten days ago, but I really feel in my gut something is wrong. Call it mothers' intuition. (No, I'm not female, but you get my point :) )

I don't think I'm over watering. They get a full soak every 2 days and misted on the days between to keep the tops nice and moist. The soil is having NO drainage problems so I know it's nothing to do with the amount of water. They're being fed with straight distilled, bought from the grocery store, pH tested water.

My soil mix should be giving them all the "nutes" they would need right now (except maybe Ca/Mg but I'll talk more on that later) so I don't want to introduce any of the GH organics yet. Temps are steady at 80 F which is ambient of the room, if not a degree or two cooler at some times.

I'm still running 18/6 lighting, but I should mention there was malfunction that went un-diagnosed for 2 days with the cheap ass light timer I bought at Wal-Mart (BRINKS brand = shit, FYI) For some odd reason, the lights would just randomly turn themselves off... no warning, nothing. I didn't notice right away A.) because I'm not with them every waking hour of the day and B.) because they magically turn themselves back ON sometimes, so when I would check, things might be fine, only to turn themselves off for who knows how long again. Very, very frustrating. This problem is being solved right now by manually plugging/un plugging the lights on the correct time intervals.

So, in conclusion, I know I shocked them, I know I've stressed them, but without having any experience, I don't know if these are lost causes or not. My plan is to just keep on keeping on, veg out as many that want to grow as much as possible, and then switch to a tent with a professional light for flowering.

So, ICmag, what the "hella" should I do? (Bad joke, pardon me) Give them 1/4 strength veg nutes? Give em a light feeding of some CaMg+? Continue doing what I'm doing? Move them closer to the lights? You're help is greatly appreciated.

I can't wait to get more experience,

- Hella

**EDIT** Just a clarification, I still have (6) seedlings/sprouts that are staying green and "prospering" to some extent, but only (2) of the 6 are really doing anything in terms of growth. Nothing is really dying though, so I'm very confused. Could this be a result of using some shitty unknown genetics? Are some strains just "like that"?

Hella THC

Yeah, I've been sitting here trying to reassure myself. I'm sure things will be fine, I'm just a concerned parent is all, hehe. None of the six are dead yet, though! I'm doing something right I guess.

Hella THC

Question, are you using your calmag+ with your "dead" water

No, I'm not, but I've been very tempted to try. It's the whole reason I bought it... I knew my water lacked it. I just didn't know if it was wise to add this early in growth.

Fuzz420

Ganja Smoker Extraordinaire
Veteran
I would add it. Since distilled water is just water,so adding back minerals that would be found in nature might pick up the pace of the younglings.

For seed sprouting i would use just the distilled water, but once transplanted to your growing medium i would start using calmag. I too just purchased botanicare's calmag+ to supplement my tap water as its an issue i keep running into

raysputin

i would let the soild completely dry then soak it and repeat that a couple times, if the soil is always moist you will see no root growth

ScrubNinja

Veteran
HI Hella. Why would you need calmag if you added dolomite lime to your soil? Man, I'm the worst guy to ask about seedlings after my recent luck, but then again, maybe I'm the best guy :) It's pretty embarassing having like 6 waves of germination attempts all poop out on me.

So I would say to you - forget any kind of watering schedule. It's all about the plants needs, not what you have worked out as the best watering timetable. So water only when they need it and if just one feels a tiny bit heavy, leave it. Hope it helps mate :yes:

Hella THC

Hey all :wave: Thanks for the good advice. I just left them alone tonight. I'm going to let them use up their water. I realized I need to encourage downward growth by not watering them all the time like you folks said.

The good news today is that things are looking meaner and greener! :woohoo: I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but they are doing well. Some seem to have some sort of deficiency... let me know if anyone has suggestions for that.

I seem to be getting the hang of my camera.

And this one is the weakest link... I'm sure it won't make it. Hasn't moved in days.

So as you can see, things are looking better than I was initially thinking earlier, and that makes me very happy. I can't wait to see these few start exploding in the next few days.

HI Hella. Why would you need calmag if you added dolomite lime to your soil? Man, I'm the worst guy to ask about seedlings after my recent luck, but then again, maybe I'm the best guy :) It's pretty embarassing having like 6 waves of germination attempts all poop out on me.

So I would say to you - forget any kind of watering schedule. It's all about the plants needs, not what you have worked out as the best watering timetable. So water only when they need it and if just one feels a tiny bit heavy, leave it. Hope it helps mate :yes:

Hey Scrub, thanks for peeking into my grow. Should the dolomite lime be enough of a calcium supp to not need the liquid CaMg+ nutes?

When should I start adding nutes? Any comments/suggestions guys and gals? Its much appreciated!

All the best,

- Hella

Hella THC

Just wanted to say I'm expecting some growth today. As you can see from the photos, three of them especially look like they are about to take off today :D I'll update the thread if there is anything note worthy. I have a feeling there will be something!

- Hella

ScrubNinja

Veteran
I don't have much experience with cannabis in soil mate but no, you shouldn't need calcium or magnesium. Here is my bag of dolomite

It's basically nothing but calcium and magnesium and apparently in a good ratio for da weedz :D But one thing I noticed is, you only used half a tablespoon per gallon and most recipes on the organic soil forum say to use 1 whole tablespoon. So you may wanna look into that. Edit: you ideally want to rest your soil for at least several weeks after you mix it too, for a lot of the stuff you add to take effect properly.

Latest posts

Latest posts