What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Covert Crops-base of operationz

Mist

The buds look great!
You said that you had nutrient salts deposits on the top of your hydroton. This is pretty much normal with hydroponics where the nutrients come in direct contact with the hydroton. You won't see much of it with DWC because after the first week or so the nutes are below the bottom of the net pot and only the roots are in the nutrients.
But with the wicking action of hydroton in an ebb and flow, top feed or ebb&gro like I use, you are going to see these deposits. I flush my ebb&gro system every 2 weeks with fresh water a couple times to help reduce these build ups. There are products made that will disolve the deposits while you flush the system. One of them is called Clearex and is made by Botanicare.

Happy Growing.

CovertCrops

Strike99 - Thanks bro.

Mist - The buds look ok but they just aren't what they should be. I atribute some of the deposits to nutes but my tap water leaves a wicked mineral deposit behind all by itself. I think this is where the problem lies. I have flora kleen by GH, which I think is similar to clearex. I don't use it regularly, but have been flushing more lately. I am fairly certain my issues stem from my tap water. Just waiting for the RO to arrive. Do you find you have problems when you don't flush regularly? Does clearex have epsom salt in it or is that a different flush product?

peace
CC

Mist

I used clearex many years ago and can't remember what is in it. But I just flush with plain water now and is seems to do just fine. Are you on well water or city water? If it is well water I could understand there being issues with mineral deposits.
So what is it about the buds that makes you think they are falling short?

CovertCrops

I'm on city water and I kept telling myself that it was ok but the plants say otherwise. All plants show the same symptoms after a week of frequent exposure to my water. The only common factor to all tables is the water.

The buds are fantastic but I know the plants could yeild more. A jacked up plant isn't gonna yeild like a pristine plant. RO arrives tomorrow, gonna flush everything really well and run RO for a while.

peace

Mist

Have you checked your water quality report online? If you are in one of the cities that uses Chloramine (chlorine and ammonia combined) in their water as a disinfectant then it would be killing a the microbiological components of your nutrients. And an RO unit is not going to remove that from the water. You woud need a carbon block filter added inline with your RO system.
I use a product called "Chloramine Buster" to neutralize the chloramine in the water and it also neutralizes any free ammonia's present.

CovertCrops

Its almost the new year so I figured I'd get a jump on it and sent a fresh batch of clones to flower. Super silver haze, East coast sour desiel, and strawberry desiel on day 1 of flower.
picture.php

I got my RO unit installed, it's amazing how stable my water is after its been filtered. I checked the water quality report and there are no cloramines in my water. Has anyone else noticed that RO water makes the finest coffee?
picture.php

Has anyone else noticed that RO water makes the finest coffee?

Here are some more purple kush pulled at 61 days.
picture.php

and some strawberry desiel full of hermies. she could have gone longer but i opted to chop them.
picture.php

E

EvilTwin

Hey CC,
Nice lookin' new crop. I agree on the RO water. Good coffee and tea and for drinking I've added a little final filter which is just more carbon. Sweetens it up some more...but your water may not need that. Mine had a little acidic twang to it.

Your lucky you don't have chloramine to deal with. My water doesn't have it either...but like Mist said...there are additives to remove the ammonium component.

I used an improvised top drip to keep my plants alive over Christmas while i was gone worked perfectly. I'll be harvesting in a couple weeks and am getting ready to do my first top drip run. Should be interesting...
Peace,
ET

CovertCrops

ET, good to see you around. The RO came with a post filter also, I just haven't hooked it up yet. The water has a "rough" taste to it but not bad by any stretch. My only complaint is the amount of waste water. I intend to get the "green elbow" which reduces water waste. I have decided to reduce the frequency of rez changes I am pretty sure I have seen somewhere that you do not change your rez throughout flowering. do you have a target EC that you try to maintain? When you were running your 3x3 tables what were you using for lights?

I'm interested to see your top drip run. Do you plan to do a journal?

CovertCrops

Here is a little update since the begining of the year. There are 5 super silver haze's, 1 east coast sour desiel, and 2 strawberry desiels.

picture.php

picture.php

ECSD
picture.php

Day 10
picture.php

Day 15
picture.php

Started second half with some purple kush
picture.php

I took down the 1k to run a 600w with adjust-a-wing, curiosity got the better of me.

Ssh is starting to form buds. The desiels are taking their sweet time.
picture.php

This is my first run with ssh and ecsd so far so good. I have to give a big thumbs up to the garden trellis! I will be using them from now on. Excellent training aid.

E

EvilTwin

Hi CC,
Very neat little vegging unit. Blocks light to the roots. Good sized unit. Looking forward to seeing how it works. Mine is an open tray 18"x30". Haven't tried it out yet...but shortly.

Did you ever get the final filter on your RO unit for drinking water? Mine helps greatly.

My EC changes depending on the strain but I don't push it too high. 1200 in bloom but I'm not too careful so it's been higher. I just add nutes, check EC and correct ph all through bloom until I get to flush week. Then I change the res to final phase and water. I used 600w hps on two tables and a 400 mh on one.

My camera is wacked right now. USB socket. I might be able to get a few shots but I'm behind the curve and they aren't even in veg yet.
ET

CovertCrops

Thanks for the info ET. I have been going about every 2 weeks and changing out the rez. I was vegging in an open tray e&f but I wanted to reduce the size of my veg rez and allow unrestricted root growth. I was allowing them to air prune in the table but with the limited amount of vegging I do I thought it was better to encourage as much root growth as possible. So far the shake down run is going well.

I've been working hard to throw "lazy" out of the grow room this year. I spent a bit of time covering tables with black plastic. Would have been easier if I did it before putting the plants in.

picture.php

I finnished filling the other half of the table as well. Kerosene Kush, Dirty Harry, and Sensi Star. They should finnish right around the time the other side of the table does.... If I timed it right. Happy growing.

nice setup dude, this looks pro. i wanna try and build one of those veg tables and start getting babys going while im buddin too man, nice i like those pictures too that purple looks sweet@

looks like the drip feed is working. i used botanicare and liquid karma, worked pretty good also bud blaster worked good for me and some buddys.

CovertCrops

Thanks Sticky. The veg rig is working splendidly...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

pics from the 24th
picture.php

and 4 days later
picture.php

The other table is catching up a bit.
picture.php

Some ECSD, Strawberry Desiel, and Super silver haze about 4 weeks into flower
picture.php

E

EvilTwin

CC,
Indeed your veg system is looking good. I'm running some new strains next grow and was delayed by sexing...must have been stoned when I made my schedule. lol

I can't remember if I ran this idea past you. I bought the smallest grow bags I could find and am going to stick the clones (in small Rockwool cubes) in the bags with hydroton. Then, to transplant to the 2 gal pots, I'll just take a sharp knife and carefully remove the bag. Hopefully the whole root mass won't fall apart. If that fails...I think I'll copy your veg system which appears to be doing nicely.
Keep up the good work...
ET

CovertCrops

ET, thank you. I had a stoned moment with my scheduling also, I decided to run 12 wk strains at the begining of the year so now I'm scrambling to get my 45 day strain on some tables to offset the wait time.

I think its the first you have mentioned the grow bags. I used to use 3 gallon grow bags full of hydroton to flower in (also tried 1 gal). I was dissapointed with the bags becuase they lack rigidity. Just lifting a bag up causes the hydroton inside it to shift, often resulting in root damage. Your idea will work if the root mass is big enough in the bag to hold all the hydroton together. If it is not, when you cut the bag open the rocks will "run" potentially damaging your root mass. Oh, also, the bags like to hold a bit of water in the folds at the bottom which has caused me some root rot issues in the past. It's worth trying a few out but I wouldn't advise putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak. I'd be interested to know how it works for you, adequate veg time should help eliminate some of the problems. Hope some of this helps. Good luck
:smokeit:

E

EvilTwin

ET, thank you. I had a stoned moment with my scheduling also, I decided to run 12 wk strains at the begining of the year so now I'm scrambling to get my 45 day strain on some tables to offset the wait time.

I think its the first you have mentioned the grow bags. I used to use 3 gallon grow bags full of hydroton to flower in (also tried 1 gal). I was dissapointed with the bags becuase they lack rigidity. Just lifting a bag up causes the hydroton inside it to shift, often resulting in root damage. Your idea will work if the root mass is big enough in the bag to hold all the hydroton together. If it is not, when you cut the bag open the rocks will "run" potentially damaging your root mass. Oh, also, the bags like to hold a bit of water in the folds at the bottom which has caused me some root rot issues in the past. It's worth trying a few out but I wouldn't advise putting all your eggs in one basket so to speak. I'd be interested to know how it works for you, adequate veg time should help eliminate some of the problems. Hope some of this helps. Good luck
:smokeit:

Thanks much CC...

I'll try and give them enough veg time and maybe a root stimulator and some extra holes in the bottom of the bag. And some back-up plants in case it doesn't work might be a good idea.

I'm sort of a fiddler...can't leave well enough alone. But if I ever get this going and dialed in, I'm going to leave it the hell alone! lol
Cheers.
ET

CovertCrops

Glad to help ET. I have long been a fiddler and as you can see I still cant stop. I don't seem to have as much to fiddle with these days. I believe that is a good thing tho.

Thanks BorkBork.

Latest posts

Latest posts