What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Compact SOG with CFL's

frica

soooo....hi applesauce, ya saying replacing cfl with screw-in leds from the store? .....are they even in the same output ballpark as a 2700k 42w cfl? i dunno, i havent done the research and hoping you have as its time for me to build and i was going to go with 4-500w of cfl in a grow tent... i can get 9w and 11w led screw-ins pretty cheap.....1-2 bucks a pop....i ran a 600w cabinet ala Dr.bud style and it worked well but want to keep electricity usage down

Blynx managed about the same yield with 1/3rd the wattage when he switched over to LEDs.
That was a while ago and LEDs have become more efficient.
Also are those 9W/11W screw ins equivalent wattages or real power draw?

The biggest advantage of those LED bulbs is that if you take off the bulb part, the light shines in one direction which minimizes light losses.
It's the biggest reason why Blynx managed the same yield with 1/3rd the wattage, instead of the light going everywhere it's just going down.

EvergreenState

Probably the best thread on this whole site for the average home grower who wants to keep himself, friends and loved ones supplied with top quality buds. Small space used, cheap to do and very generously helpful. Brilliant!

ledtime

I read this thread ten years ago and have been fascinated ever since. I'm setting up to give this a go in a custom 2'x4'x4' box I'm building. I have an LED light that's at 600W with dimming. Going to run in coco with automated DTW. I'd by lying if I said I wasn't giddy about this.

Then this morning I started digging into some Vertical SOG grows. That's some AMAZING stuff right there, but I just don't have the room to grow 5' trees in veg. Maybe one day! I'll let you all know how my Dr. Bud LED/Coco grow goes. Pretty stoked.

Latest posts

Latest posts