What's new

Biden: No Guns for Weed Smokers

GasD

Many of the guys hunting don't understand that they have it almost deli counter easy as far as killing a deer like punching paper targets.
You're speaking the truth here. I work with guys that shoot 6-8 deer a season with zero respect for them. All sitting on their ass in a stand or a blind. They only want to become "more consistent killers with a bow" as they've put it. They don't even process the animal.

Crazy Chester

https://freebeacon.com/biden-administration/biden-no-guns-for-weed-smokers/

Biden: No Guns for Weed Smokers

The Biden administration is defending a federal ban on gun-ownership for medical marijuana users, urging a federal judge to dismiss a challenge to the statute.

Medical marijuana users should be prohibited from owning guns because the substance impairs the "judgment, cognition, and physical coordination" of those under its influence, lawyers for the Justice Department argued. Florida agricultural commissioner Nikki Fried (D.) is spearheading the lawsuit against the government for its prohibition on people who consume cannabis products with a prescription from owning firearms.

"I'm suing the Biden administration because people's rights are being limited," the commissioner said in April after filing the suit. "Medical marijuana is legal. Guns are legal. This is about people's rights and their freedoms to responsibly have both."

The administration's stance stands in contrast to President Joe Biden's rhetoric on marijuana. Biden has endorsed decriminalization and argued the federal government shouldn’t interfere with state affairs when it comes to marijuana laws.

The Biden administration’s inconsistent stance on the drug mirrors that of Vice President Kamala Harris. As California attorney general, Harris was responsible for locking up thousands for marijuana-related crimes, the Washington Free Beacon reported in 2019. That same year, as she was running for president, she said she was pre-disposed to like smoking marijuana due to her Jamaican heritage. The comment drew stern criticism from her father, who said she was stereotyping people on the island.

Most Americans support both the legalization of medical marijuana and the private ownership of firearms. Ninety-one percent of Americans believe that weed should be legal in some form, according to a Pew Research Center poll.

Reason magazine pointed out that the Justice Department's argument citing marijuana's effect on the mind "could be applied to many legal drugs" such as alcohol or prescription opioids that are legal for gun-owners to consume.

In its motion to dismiss the lawsuit, the Justice Department cited historical disarmament of "groups deemed dangerous," such as 17th-century Catholics and American Indians, as precedent for the practice of preventing certain groups from owning weapons.

Fried is running in the Democratic primary to challenge Republican governor Ron DeSantis in November. Fried and the governor appear to be on the same page regarding medical marijuana users' Second Amendment rights.

"Floridians should not be deprived of a constitutional right for using a medication lawfully," DeSantis's office said.
It's just control freak Biden saying "no guns for anyone" - most gun owners use cannabis.

therevverend

Veteran
Not sure if this has been brought up elsewhere but it's a slippery slope.

I saw that too. The 6 year old climbed up the dresser and took the gun from her purse; who expects their 6 year old kid to do that kind of thing? The school district knew there was a problem and did nothing. The mother apparently has mental health issues; the kid obviously too. People like that need help. The media and government need a scapegoat so they used a terrible law to send her to prison.

Ironically in the context of this thread, it's the same law they used to prosecute Hunter Biden. Filmed himself using coke and owned a gun. It doesn't matter what drug you use, if you own legally own a gun they can prosecute you. But they usually only prosecute you if you get busted for something else, or if the federal government has a grudge against you. Those kinds of laws are very very bad.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread but this isn't a new law created by the Biden administration. Obama's justice department created it; Trump's extended it and so did Biden's. Because it's a 'tool' they can use to attack enemies of the state.

therevverend

Veteran
Any responsible parent would consider that a possibility
Sure. But if 6 year old kids regularly snuck into their parents' rooms at night while they're sleeping and stole their guns to shoot their teachers. There wouldn't be any teachers left in this country. I knew where my dad's gun was when I was a kid. If I'd stolen it I knew I'd never sit down again. He smoked ganja too.

therevverend

Veteran
The woman kept the gun in her purse. Out of reach of the child; apparently it had to built a makeshift ladder to get to it. The only other place she could have kept it was in a safe under lock and key. But then there's no way should could have accessed it quickly if an intruder broke into the apartment to attack her and her child.

How many other women who live in dangerous cities do the same thing? Or men who keep guns under their pillow. Or in a dresser. If you think this is a crime, and there should be a law. That guns should be kept under lock and key 24/7 and only removed for sport. Or handguns should be banned, that's okay. That's your position but don't pretend like this woman is different from all those other people and a criminal. Because there's no point in owning a handgun for self-defense if you can get to it quickly.

That's not what we're discussing here, the main issue is that she's going to prison for using cannabis. If you support the law, and you think the woman should go to jail, that's your position. That's okay. But I don't know what you're doing here..

therevverend

Veteran
Now that I think it over. My grandma kept a 22 revolver my uncle gave her for protection. In an unlocked cabinet shelf 8 feet off the ground in her bedroom. When I was 5,6,7. In case some rapist nut broke into her room at night. I guarantee in her wildest paranoid grandma imagination she the thought never crossed her mind that I'd sneak in, build a makeshift ladder. Steal the gun and shoot my 1st grade teacher.

Actually she showed me where it was, told me it wasn't a toy and not to use it unless bears or rapists attacked and she was incapacitated. My grandpa taught me to how to shoot it. Luckily they weren't addicted to marijuana or it would have been prison for them!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my parents showed me where mom's .38 was, how to load/unload it, and took me shooting with it from about 9 or 10 years of age. by then i had my own shotguns etc.
Because there's no point in owning a handgun for self-defense if you can get to it quickly.
this! ^^^ a handgun with a trigger lock is no more or less than an odd looking hammer. a ball bat, actual hammer or a hatchet would be more valuable for defense,

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Heck I was leaving my 12 ga. single shot shotgun on the bus when I went to school by the time I was 12 years old and kept the ammo in my desk. I'd walk through the woods to the bus stop with it and grab it for the walk home at the end of the school day.
My uncle was a instructor who worked for Smith and Wesson when I was a little kid and had us shooting all sorts of revolvers when we were 6-8 years old.
None of the guns in any of our homes were locked up. We kids just knew not to do stupid shit with them.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Politics

Medical Marijuana Growers And Caregivers Can Own Guns, But Patients Can’t, FBI Says In Little-Noticed Memo​

3b71d81faa493372a683c777756df1f4

Published
1 day ago
on
December 8, 2023
By
Kyle Jaeger

Being a state-registered medical marijuana caregiver or grower doesn’t automatically disqualify a person from owning a firearm, the FBI says. But merely possessing a medical cannabis card as a patient does render a person ineligible.
Amid the growing tension between federal gun policies and the ever-expanding state marijuana legalization movement, a little-noticed FBI memo from 2019 offers a lens into the byzantine legal interpretations surrounding cannabis and firearms—an issue that’s recently been raised in multiple federal court cases.
The government has several different ways it assesses firearm eligibility in the context of cannabis, according to the memo from FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division, which was briefly noted in a report from The New York Times last week. In some cases, that involves affirmatively restricting gun rights based on activities or documentation that doesn’t necessarily mean a person is an active marijuana consumer.

At their core, the federal rules say that being an “unlawful user” of a controlled substance, including marijuana, means a person cannot buy or possess a gun. Would-be gun purchasers are required to disclose such use as part of a Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) form before making a purchase, and lying on that form is a felony offense.
The statute behind that prohibition has been challenged in a number of federal courts over the past couple of years, with more than one judicial body determining that the restriction is unconstitutional. The Department of Justice (DOJ) has steadfastly defended the ban, however, contending that medical marijuana patients and everyday consumers pose unique dangers to society that justify withholding Second Amendment rights.

Latest posts

Latest posts