What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Why go 24 hours lights on??

bobman

phoenix no offense but i don't know who the fuck you are as you don't know who the fuck i am. but i think we can both agree we know who the fuck these guys are and these guys know their shit. its like they are an impartial judge in the matter.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
phoenix no offense but i don't know who the fuck you are as you don't know who the fuck i am. but i think we can both agree we know who the fuck these guys are and these guys know their shit. its like they are an impartial judge in the matter.

You dont know who the fuck I am bobman, because I'm like a fucking ghost. That's why I'm able to do the things that I do.

I appear when I think I've got something to contribute, which is more than I can say about many here.

spurr

Veteran
The Phoenix,
spurr, you've made your point already, so now it's up to the viewers to agree or disaggree. Why are you so bent that some dont see things your way?

I get a bit annoyed when people say the sky isn't blue and the night isn't dark because other growers who are not aware might believe them. That's why, I am looking out for those who might get taken in by BS. That, and it annoys me that I spend so much time/effort learning and teaching these topics to have some yahoo come in, without reading, and make silly claims counter to what is proven. I gave up trying to post to other members in this thread, but boobman sounds like he's correct, even though he's wrong, and I worry growers might get taken in by his misunderstandings.

I have given up trying to show boobman 'the light' (no pun intended ;) ); carry on :)

BTW, I agree with your posts about looking at the plants in lue of using analytical tools like a chlorophyll fluorometer, etc. That is why I posted the info about praying leafs and rolling leafs.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
No need to get annoyed spurr, because once many growers get to a higher level of experience, then they will understand the point you are making. I've not read all your posts, but I understand the point your trying to make. Just throw your experience out there and let the people learn for themselves.

spurr

Veteran
No need to get annoyed spurr, because once many growers get to a higher level of experience, then they will understand the point you are making. I've not read all your posts, but I understand the point your trying to make. Just throw your experience out there and let the people learn for themselves.

Great point, and well taken by yours truly, tnx. :tiphat:

opt1c

Veteran
I agree, enough talk. There is no need to run side by sides because the jury is already in: plants like cananbis (C3) do better, and grow faster, with a dark cycle assuming enough DLI is provided in the day.

Also, side by sides without controlling all major factors that affect growth is a waste of time and proves nothing. To do a side by side that shows anything worthwhile you need to control and measure PPFD, PPFD-DLI, soil-water status (i.e. "water tension"), VPD, ADT, C02, etc., etc.

I am working on getting a very large grant this coming year, if I secure said grant I am buying a butt load of analytical plant physiology tools (worth around $50k+) to carry out proper scientifically sound tests/experiments/studies on cannabis to study various hypotheses and to re-prove already proven scientific theories (that isn't the same as a laypersons definition of "theory"); I plant t about C3 plants as they relate to cannabis. Stay tuned for studies that have never been done before on cannabis, and some that have been done, e.g. ideal PPFD, etc. :)

so every scientist before the invention of PPFD, PPFD-DLI, VPD, ADT, etc... was full of shit and wasting their time... because that's what i'm getting from your reply... furthermore why the fuck would i use a medium with as many fucking variables as soil when growing anything scientifically? i'd personally take two dwc tubs topped off from the same reservoir on float valves but i don't have 50K in equipment so i guess i'm not of the scientific mindset like yourself

and you're telling me two tents with the same strains, same lights, same feeding schedule, in the same fucking room have too many variables to be of any use when comparing light cycles during veg; really? i need 50K of lab equipment to see if 24/0 and 18/6 have differences in rate of growth; plant vigor; root mass; etc??

thanks for all the helpful info bro; i can't see how your helpful modest self would rub anyone the wrong way :thank you:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Bob, I did not think I could meet a bigger troll than Japan, yet somehow you manage to take the cake. You talk out of your ass and whenever Spurr posts anything beyond your capability to understand, you become aggressive and combatant.

Please feel free to take your crap to a newbie thread where they dont know any better. Maybe you will make some friends there.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
name one mother fucker i been growing since 94.

Here you go, Einstein:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=188495

Here's another nice one:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=140981

"I am thinking about going to 18/6 or 20/4 and was wondering if having cloning lights, daylight or light leaks in the same room during to lights out time will stress the plants? Basically, does it have to be completely dark like in flower?"

What, exactly, have you supposedly been growing since 1994?

Simon

spurr

Veteran
and you're telling me two tents with the same strains, same lights, same feeding schedule, in the same fucking room have too many variables to be of any use when comparing light cycles during veg; really?

Yes, it's called the scientific method and accounts for, and measures and controls, important variables.

i need 50K of lab equipment to see if 24/0 and 18/6 have differences in rate of growth; plant vigor; root mass; etc??

No. But to claim your results as anything more than conjecture, you need to spend some cash (granted, not $50K, but more than a few hundred, for sure ;) ). That is why real, provable science isn't done by people with no resources or analytical equipment.

spurr

Veteran
So if anyone dare disagrees with Mr. "I'm no scientist but I'm smarter than any doctor I meet" they're a troll, eh? It's too much for my simpleton mind to comprehend? That's kind of ironic, because I actually have an advanced degree (MSc, admittedly not botany or a biological science, but an advanced degree nonetheless) whereas he does not........

Like I wrote, a degree does not an intelligent person make. Sometimes those with advanced degrees are highly intelligent, and sometimes they are not; that is what I wrote, stop putting words into my mouth.

Also, I do not have an advanced degree, but that doesn't mean I am any less of a scientist than those with advanced degrees. A degree alone does not a scientist make. Drive, intelligence and money (for resources) can make a scientist out of anyone without a degree :tiphat:

Look into "DIY-BIO" if you are interested in that topic:

The diffence bewteen a "professional" and "amateur" biologist is a degree, that's it, as long as the amateur has money for resources and equipment...

bobman

Here you go, Einstein:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=188495

Here's another nice one:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=140981

"I am thinking about going to 18/6 or 20/4 and was wondering if having cloning lights, daylight or light leaks in the same room during to lights out time will stress the plants? Basically, does it have to be completely dark like in flower?"

What, exactly, have you supposedly been growing since 1994?

Simon

whats wrong with those posts. have you ever done seedlings in straight perlite or wanted to change light cycles. i guess you you born with knowledge on every aspect of growing.

S

schwagg

You are correct, me being in this thread is nothing more than wasting my time trying to help people who don't know they need help, so I'll bow out - again, have a very nice day and happy growing.

well then.... bow out and edit post 297. C-YA! i for one enjoy the info being brought to the table.

bobman

Bob, I did not think I could meet a bigger troll than Japan, yet somehow you manage to take the cake. You talk out of your ass and whenever Spurr posts anything beyond your capability to understand, you become aggressive and combatant.

Please feel free to take your crap to a newbie thread where they dont know any better. Maybe you will make some friends there.

buddy this guy does not even understand what he linked. did you try to read them. i am not a scientist but i can smell bullshit from a mile away. no where in those papers did i see something that said marijuana is better with a night cycle. it was citing sources to try to sound smart bottom line. also who the hell says phds and docs are not smart come on., especially in their own field. i have several friends with advanced degrees and let me tell you they know their shit better than an untrained person could ever hope to learn on his own. I can not believe not one of you would value what chimera, neville, shanti, simon, dj or any other top breeder would say regarding this topic instead you are willing to believe these scientific papers nobody here understands. it boggles my mind.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
18/6 is great if you need to avoid the heat of the day or high grow room traffic. No other advantage. I like to harvest in less time so I veg without a dark cycle.

I actually find that burning the bulb 24/0 gives me a much more compact plant with tighter node spacing, so to say you veg 25% less to get your 4.5' plant does not really add up to me Rumple.

Not alot of details in your post though to judge, but I can tell you that it costs more to run 24/0, especially in SoCal with the baseline rate structure.

From my experience, I just dont see that much of an increase in veg height to justify the extra cost. How many actual days of veg time are you saving with that strain?

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
I already proved beyond reproach that C3 plants (not "class III" ;) ) do better with a dark cycle. If you won't want to take the time to read my refs, or find your own refs, then that's your problem, not mine.

It's not what I believe, it's a fact assuming enough DLI is provided in the day, to provide enough "net rate of photosynthesis" and Co2 fixation and carbohydrate assimilate. This goes back to what I wrote about low light levels of DLI, etc.

Heya Spurr , fun to see u back stirring up the POT again ! lol:)

You're citing all some interesting studies ....but took the liberty of leaving out of your quote for sake of space .

Think u may have something with the need for some dark cycle & hav it pretty well backed up by what studies u cite. Hav always known moms to benefit from a little rest , say 20/4....human moms all need some rest & TLC to !
(Lets give em all a hug today/tnite or at least a call )

Bobman may have a point to, that 24/0 can be employed with lights hung up higher , distributing over more area if that was a need ..as in the case (mentioned b4) of BlueSky's 60kw cloning opp in Oaksterdam where am pretty sure they go raised parabolics running 24/0 over a large warehouse area . A lessened more ambient distribution of light over a greater area ...and these guys sell more clones per/mo than probably most anyone in the country.

But with u for the most part & can see benefits of running some dark period running 1kw or if on 24/0 would tend to switch down to the lessor wattages of 600/750 for veg .

And floros -->always 24/0 of course.

nite nite ,
hav some bubbles to blow:blowbubbles:and yes , some sales to catch !
love living in america !

Opposing viewpoints are censored here on ICMAG?

My original post is below this one. Can anyone see anything wrong with it (besides not agreeing with my facts). Why was it removed?

SumDumGuy

"easy growing type"
Veteran
Increase in veg height means you don't have to veg as long. Glad I could clear that up for ya. It also means you don't have to run your lights as many days.

Ed Rosenthal claims you won't save a dime on your power bill using a dark cycle. If you have to veg 33% longer to get the same growth, it will be a wash, except you lost a few days.

You may think you know more then Ed or the guy who wrote The Cannabis Grow Bible, but I am not convinced you do.

I used to veg (from a rooted clone) 14 days, to get a harvest height of 4.5'. Now I am able to get the same size plant but only veg 10 days.

If grow journals will help you, I can dig a few up for ya.

Day One:
009_1.jpg

Five days later. Things seem normal:

008_2.jpg

It's been ten days. She is all set for flowering. Switched bulbs and nutrients then changed the program on my timer.

00230.jpg

From an old grow journal, I can post up the whole thing if you like?
I do the same plant year after year in the same room. A small change in light cycle made a big enough difference for me to notice. It changed my mind. I grew for years using a dark cycle, not any more.
Need more details?

Hi Rumpleforeskin,
Nice addition to the thread :). I remember following your threads over at the other site. You were one of the reasons I tried hydro back in the day bro. Thank you.