What's new

Why do experienced growers still use plastic pots?

xtsho

You mean that the size of the pot doesn't matter? The 1.75l plant came out the same as the 3 gallon plant? incredible

It depends on how you're growing. With flood and drain hydro you can use small net pots of hydroton or blocks of rockwool and get huge plants. You need much less volume to get the same sized plants in coco drain to waste than soil. You're always going to get the biggest plants if they're grown in the ground without pot size limitation.

That particular plant was an ACE Oldtimers Haze which has low nutrient requirements. After it got large I started treating it like drain to waste with a mild nutrient solution every watering. I transplanted it to a 3 gallon pot before putting it into the flower tent. I had to supercrop it to fit in the tent.

The grow was too much work as the plant got too large and it took 20 weeks to flower. I've grown Oldtimers Haze since then but I started flowering the plants when they were much smaller and could be managed in a tent.

oth1013a.jpg

othbud1.jpg

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
went with fabric pots primarily for convenience because they were easy to order online and come shipped in a compact manner… slower to absorb moisture & they do bleed out a bit from the sides some ..this heat wave wet them down on the exterior first also, they do not get as hot like those black plastic containers when they sit in the sun…. That’s a benefit.

I’ve been using these corrugated sided pots for almost 20 years and they all outperformed the felt bags is 10 times easier to deal with, especially if you want to upsize the plant into a bigger container. The roots don’t spin around the outside, but go back into the center of the form of dense root mass that’s healthy.

those were my favorites for a very long time! there are also nice pots available originally intended for waterplants ;)

Fabric pots have been around for quite a while now. I know this is not a popular opinion but I believe, for indoor soil growers, fabric containers are the best innovation (with the possible exception of LED lights) in the past 25 years.

Here's some videos to illustrate why I feel this way:

A large, fully encircled/encased root mass, around the insides of plastic pots, with almost no root mass in the interior _soil_ of the plastic soil container, just doesn't make any sense to me. But I see so many experienced and knowledgeable growers still using containers that were originally developed almost 50 years ago.

Why?

Almost want to make a meme with my ass sitting in front of a table, with a large sign that says "This is my opinion, change my mind! ;)

The most simple answer is watering practices.
I think watering is one of the most important parts of growing cannabis. If something has the potential to impact watering schedule and environment then its not always a cut and dry switch. When I grew in 3 gallon pots I struggled to get the same results with fabric. Switching to 20 gallon pots and up fabric really shines.

Outdoors its hard to argue for a plastic pot however indoors a fabric pot can really screw up your VPD.
This will cause the plants to not grow as well even though the root are healthier.
Also not all fabric pots are created equal.
The new grassroots fabric pots that are tan and have a water proof lining at the top of the side walls reduces evaporation. The old black fabric pots also dry out very quickly and can make soil go hydrophobic where you water and it just comes out the bottom and sides but the soil is still dry. Very hard to come back from hydrophobic soil in a small fabric pot. You essentially lose the outer edge of soil if you have too many dry backs.
Indoors if my fabric pot raises my RH above 70% and I now have to buy an expensive dehumidifier to keep my environment in check thats a huge investment to make.
Chances are that grower already has plastic pots he used to use before trying fabric. If they had a horrible experience with cheap thin fabric and their grow suffered then they are likely to go back to plastic pots they already had and know how to use.
Sometimes people just want to do what they already know because its scary to continually try and grow. One set back or failure can drive someone into a cemented way of life or growing.
Much love have an AMAZING day

xtsho

I've seen people fill disposable plastic grocery bags and have killer grows. I remember a few ears back on another site a user was just giving me hell because I said type of pot is rather insignificant and there are more important things to worry about. They went on attempting to lecture me about root growth which I have no problem with regardless of type of pot.

I then see in a different thread that user using those no-pest strips in a tent and spraying poison on plants in flower due to mites. I said "You're obsessing over what type of pot to use and then you put poison on your buds. What sense does that make?" I didn't get a response.

I've seen people fill disposable plastic grocery bags and have killer grows. I remember a few ears back on another site a user was just giving me hell because I said type of pot is rather insignificant and there are more important things to worry about. They went on attempting to lecture me about root growth which I have no problem with regardless of type of pot.

I then see in a different thread that user using those no-pest strips in a tent and spraying poison on plants in flower due to mites. I said "You're obsessing over what type of pot to use and then you put poison on your buds. What sense does that make?" I didn't get a response.

When asking the right question leads to silence, it is always the same narcisstic habit shining through.

CocoNut 420

I've tried something similar to those pouches myself. Great idea but the material was so thin it was difficult for me to load up the soil inside the smaller container. I found some similar sized containers that were thicker, fabric-based, with Velcro.

Got some clones I've got a transplant today and I'm forced to use those smaller containers (can't remember what size they are right now) because I've run out of room in the clone / seedling closet.
Hey bud, it's been a while but i can't see a reply?
The pouches I get are quite sturdy, I mean you can tear them but only on purpose they've never torn accidentally even with me lifting them by the side.
20240617_113320.jpg

I've had plants in them long enough to get woody with repeatedly trimming them back (I only need a few clones)

Last edited:

CocoNut 420

View attachment 19023726
I use plastic unless I move them outdoors, then it's fabric. My indoor environemntal controls aren't great so anything that can prevent the spread of PM/mold or odors is proffered. View attachment 19023727 I know when it's ready for transfer by the visible roots.
They look great bud I'd love a space like that but holy moly I don't envy your trim job lol.

CharlesU Farley

Hey bud, it's been a while but i can't see a reply?
The pouches I get are quite sturdy, I mean you can tear them but only on purpose they've never torn accidentally even with me lifting them by the side.
View attachment 19023907
I've had plants in them long enough to get woody with repeatedly trimming them back (I only need a few clones)
The ones I used I got from Amazon and are no longer available. Here was the description:

Non-Woven Nursery Bags Plants Grow Bags 200 PCS Biodegradable Seed Starter bags Fabric Seedling Pots/bag Plants Pouch
Home Garden Supply (14x16cm)

The one you're using look like they're much thicker fabric and those are some damn fine roots there. (y)