What's new

Diary White Rhino & Friends. Fall 2021 Grow.

PCBuds

I'm taking bets on which one I'm going to kill first...

You've got your PH issue figured out now, so you'll be fine.

Keep in mind that the plants growing in perlite and/or coco are soil less and use the Hydroponics PH chart.

20211115_174541.jpg

The weird difference between the two charts, is that in hydroponics, calcium is locked out above 5.8 and in soil, calcium is locked out below 6.5

20211115_174615.jpg

Keep an eye out for calcium deficiencies and excesses.

I'm not sure if adding potting soil or compost to coco or perlite means that you're growing in soil?

aliceklar

You've got your PH issue figured out now, so you'll be fine.

Keep in mind that the plants growing in perlite and/or coco are soil less and use the Hydroponics PH chart.

The weird difference between the two charts, is that in hydroponics, calcium is locked out above 5.8 and in soil, calcium is locked out below 6.5

Keep an eye out for calcium deficiencies and excesses.

I'm not sure if adding potting soil or compost to coco or perlite means that you're growing in soil?

Thank you! 🤓 That is really useful! Latest test is .75g of citric acid to a 4.5 litre demijohn of my tap-water gives 5.81 pH after 24 hours. So that would be bang on for plants in pure perlite/coco. Will continue messing around with compost mixes, but also now minded to attempt to rescue some plants by trying the same root-wash that worked on the C6, and getting them rooting in pure perlite (or perlite/coco) - then I can take cuttings.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Keep in mind some nutes lower the ph as well. Some concentrated ones lower it enaugh so you don't need extra ph down. So even if you found the mix to get that ph, you should still check it again after you mix your nutes at the final concentration. I personally do the ph correcting last.
Good luck fixing it. For me it seems the problems are behind by now, so I hope you find at least a good degree of success, even if you can't totally save them by now. :wave:

PCBuds

Keep in mind some nutes lower the ph as well...

My degassed tap water is PH 7.20 and drops to 6.36 after I mix in my nutes.

... Will continue messing around with compost mixes,...

Compost can change the PH as well but it's hard to monitor because it happens in the soil after you water the plant.

Checking your runoff PH can give you an idea of what may be going on in the soil.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
4 parts pure water to a part soil/compost by volume. Actual lab sampling is done in a cacl2 solution, tho, and it will be more accurate by 0.4 to 0.7 on the PH scale. But for your needs, ~~0.5 away from lab method is still good.

aliceklar

Might keep some of the new batch just in coir/perlite, and give liquid feed. Would be a fun experiment. I've not totally given up on the older plants, but they are not gonna win any beautiful baby competitions any time soon. Low effort attempt to save some of the genetics - wash all the roots clean like I did with C6, and then plant into larger tubs of perlite, multiple plants to each tub - almost as if they were cuttings. Might even be able to get them all in 1. Will be easy to water/feed. If any revive, then I can repot them.

aliceklar

Depending on whether or not I manage to save any of the earlier batch, I might pop some more seeds. As the title was "White Rhino & Friends", I should include the other White Rhino crosses I made -
  • Dance world x White Rhino
  • Johaar#3 x White Rhino.
They might be fun. Or maybe just change the title to "Aliceklar murders a bunch of plants" 🤣:watchplant: This has been an embarrassing grow, but an educational one!

aliceklar

Attachments

• photo2088246.jpg
    photo2088246.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2088247.jpg
    photo2088247.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2088248.jpg
    photo2088248.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2088249.jpg
    photo2088249.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 36
  • attach17992780.jpg
    attach17992780.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 47
  • photo2088250.jpg
    photo2088250.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 38

PCBuds

I order mushrooms 🍄 on my pizza, but I'm not going to eat any shrooms out of my garden. lol

aliceklar

Gave the new babies some 1/4 strength tomato feed yesterday, with a little maxicrop seaweed extract. Water pH'd to 5.8. Maybe too soon, but they were starting to look a bit yellow.
filedata/fetch?filedataid=2088584

Likely a Mycena:

I know they can be a sign of overwatering, but I'm generally happy to see mushrooms in my compost - if there are mushrooms, there are mycelium in the soil, which is a good thing.

Attachments

• photo2088583.jpg
    photo2088583.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 35
  • photo2088584.jpg
    photo2088584.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 38
  • attach17994072.jpg
    attach17994072.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Latest posts