What's new

White House claims 24% drop in illegal drug use under Bush

marx2k

Veteran
A new study shows American teenagers are getting the message about the dangers of illegal drugs. VOA's Paula Wolfson reports the government-funded survey shows a significant overall decline in illicit drug abuse.

The study shows an overall decline of about 24 percent between 2001 and 2007 in the use of illegal drugs by American teenagers.

At the White House, President Bush welcomed the news.

"Because Americans took action, today there are an estimated 860,000 fewer children using drugs than six years ago. Because Americans took action, because grassroots activists stood up and said, 'We have had enough,' because law enforcement worked hard - communities are safer, families are stronger, and more children have the hope of a healthy and happy life," he said.

Mr. Bush cited enhanced efforts to curb the flow of drugs into the United States from Colombia and Mexico. He also praised the work of police departments across the country, saying they are going after drug peddlers in America's neighborhoods.

But the president went on to stress that cutting the supply is only part of the answer to the problem of teenage drug abuse.

"If we have people - fewer people using, there is not going to be a need to supply as much," he said. "On the front lines of this efforts are parents, are teachers, are counselors who are sending our kids a clear message: Drug use is not fun, it is not glamorous, it is harmful."

The statistics on drug use were contained in an annual study of the behavior, attitudes and values of American teens conducted by scientists at the University of Michigan with funding from the U.S. government.

Each year, they survey about 50,000 young people between the ages of roughly 13 through 18.

This year's survey shows the sharpest decline in illicit drug use is among the youngest teens, with the biggest cuts in the use of marijuana and stimulants.

But the authors of the study warn that much more attention must be paid to the abuse of legal drugs that teens find in their own homes, such as cold and cough medicine and strong prescription medications for pain.

marx2k

Veteran
And of course, here's the counterpoint...

Illicit Drug Use Down, Teens Turn To Prescriptions
Ingestion Of Medicated Pills A New Trend Amongst Youth

NEW YORK (CBS) ―

The latest youth trend is quite a disturbing one, according to a new report: Teens increasingly putting down the marijuana and other illicit drugs, and replacing them with prescription drugs to get their high. Knowledge of what the drugs are used for and how to use them for recreational purposes is becoming commonplace across the nation, despite the President's aggressive campaign on the teenage war on drugs.

President Bush sited a new study revealing a decrease in illegal drug use among teens, but more striking are the findings suggesting a dramatic increase in the use of prescription drugs.

"We of course don't see the improvement, we only see the problem and we see a lot of the problem," said Doctor David Deitch, of the Phoenix House Foundation.

According to Deitch, part B of the equation needs to take center stage. Teenagers, he says, are switching to prescriptions as a result of accessibility and convenience, a natural effect of a national epidemic that is still widely discreet.

The youth of America, on the receiving end of an endless source of information, is exposed to the often-aggressive advertisement campaigns of pharmaceutical companies, all jostling for control of one of the world's most lucrative industries. Some doctors believe the issue comes from these companies advertising the many wonderful benefits of their drugs, and providing the youth with ample ways to address their needs for their drugs to the prescription writing physicians.

CBS 2 hit the streets to find out just how much teenagers know about misusing prescription drugs.

According to an unidentified New York City student, everything from Ritalin, Xanax and Vicodin passes from hand to hand.

"They get painkillers prescribed to treat illnesses and refill them over and over again and pass them out to friends," said Holly Nelson, a high school student in New York.

"Since they probably can't find ways to get drugs they probably find real drugs that they can buy so that they can get high," said Brian Pasian of New York.

According to the Phoenix House, the younger the child gets hooked, the harder it is to break the cycle, leading them eventually to harder drugs. The treatment center also believes teen rehab resources are under funded by the local, state and federal government.

thcbound

Bush and Co. really don't care about kids using prescription drugs, because at least the corporate fat cats and the shareholders still get paid. As long as the kids aren't smoking a non toxic herb that the Pharma's cannot profit off of, all is well.

Bob Labla said:
yea kids stop smoking weed and start free basing oxycontin... great tradeoff
At least the war on pot was a success.
Oh, no, sorry, even that wasn't.
If it was... well, we'd all be sober :)

HAPPYTREE

Bush and Co. really don't care about kids using prescription drugs, because at least the corporate fat cats and the shareholders still get paid. As long as the kids aren't smoking a non toxic herb that the Pharma's cannot profit off of, all is well.

Tahts the truth of it.

And we got all the money in the world to fight Illegal drug users but no money for homeless or vets or rec centers for youth or schools, healthcare.....
FuGiNg satistics bend em how ever you like damn politicians

HT

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I give out study aid drugs to a friend or two, but only one at a time and they actually use them to study for finals, thats illegal but its still what the drug was made for.

I tell them "you cant get high off of this, its only for studying and if you crush it you'll have a heart attack and die" which is pretty much the truth since its released slowly over 9 hours... Only my friends in grad school want them and I cant handle them anymore, they make me all strung out... not a good feeling.

I notice a lot of the kids born after 88' or so tend to shy away even from pot and alky, they tend to be the outcast group.. the kids who before were the ones who smoked the most but now they all seem indoctrinated to think pot is bad.. but they still want to get buzzed so prescription pills are the answer especially since anyone can get prescribed anything these days, lots of "doctors" are nothing but prescription machines and will dole out anything to anyone if the patient says they suffer from common symptoms... which are spelled out online at the makers site and even in the doctors offices.

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
But Jenkem use by teens has increased 4000% under the Bush administration so they have missed the mark once again.

G

This is what not having money does.. :(
I mean atleast he's not doing black tar
It's defense? Organic...
No wonder plants like it lol
Jenkem1.jpg

:fsu: Red print

Last edited:
M

Mr. Nevermind

Further evidence that it isnt a " war on drugs" its a "war on their drugs" their being mexicans , columbians and so on. Hate to see poor mexicans selling weed to americans so they prosecute them so the citizen have no other drugs to turn to but the highly addictive pills that lines thier pockets.

Weed dont kill but lets make it illegal so kids can snort oxy's and OD. Makes alot of sense. Is there any more proof required to show that our government honestly dont give a piss about us? All we are to them are tax paying sheep whom they want sedated on pills so we wont question their authority.

Nevermind

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
24% of people just got smarter if you ask me

as to anyone wanting to inhale the fumes from there own crap :bashhead:

Dr. Buzz

Wow, I never heard of that Jenken stuff. Almost made me puke reading about it. Hey, if inhaling fermented shit (and the bacteria in it) is better than smoking herb, then well..........

I agree with many of you that the government would rather have people hooked on their pills than grass, but come on, a racial thing? Hasn't that horse been beaten enough?

newbgrow

Hey, I took those study aid drugs in college. Concerta and aderal. ****ing amazing. It makes you enjoy studying. I read my whole math textbook staying up 3 nights straight. But of course I still failed the exam. There's a limit to what your brain could handle in a certain period of time. Maybe if I drank Jankem AND did prescription pills, instead of weed, I would've been even better off. Damn, I missed out.

Linenoise

I feel older everyday. I've never heard of Jankem. Kids get more devoted (read: stupid) to finding a cheap high every generation. I remember in the 80s it was huffing. This is why you now gotta get an employee to open a glass case when you wanna buy certain paints or solvents (among other things). Back in the day you could just wander into any local supermarket, buy (or more likely steal) a can of paint and you were set for a week. :nono:

I guess I am in the same boat as all the other cynical bastards, the real war is not so much on drugs as it is a war over the money being spent on drugs. As with all things in life it all goes back to money. If you ever want to know why someone (or group) is motivated to do something or to have something done (or not done) it always, in the end, goes back to money.

the white house claims all sorts of shit happens that isn't true i doubt this is any different. bush and his droogs are ****ing liars.