What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

When comparing natural sunlight to LED grow lights, which one truly outperforms the other?

Maybe-123

I would like to know which types of lights are best for plant growing. Are there any experienced growers who would like to share information with me?

Rocket Soul

Thats a very loaded question which answer depends on you first defining what is "best".
It also depends on the climate you grow in, HID may still work well for some in colder climate while not so well for us in hotter climate. And with diy led and strips youre not bound to just using one, you can mix lighting.

Personally; from growing with leds with several different generations of diy led, we found that low K high cri white leds+ red supplement and some coverage over the near uv and uva is what guves us the best combination of yield, quality and finiahing times.
Sadly youd have to build that light yourself, the led grow light market seems stuck in building copies of the same light, only wattage and output vary a bit.

Rocket Soul

LEDs are great for light spread, especially the bar types- but sodium is excellent for penetration of the canopy.
For me, small space + topped plants = LED
Large space + natural colas = HPS

Your mileage may vary :tiphat:
Have you done side by sides? We did, we didn't find any extra penetration in HPS.
Imo : Penetration is mainly a product of green content in the spectrum and pruning and lolipopping the plant to concentrate growth to the budsites that are actually viable.

mr.brunch

Veteran
Have you done side by sides? We did, we didn't find any extra penetration in HPS.
Imo : Penetration is mainly a product of green content in the spectrum and pruning and lolipopping the plant to concentrate growth to the budsites that are actually viable.
Only a small side by side- the led won.
Used Hps only up until a couple of years ago …
I prefer led since switching, but being on an extremely limited budget I will go back to hps when it breaks as the upfront price is so much cheaper

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nothing is equal to what the sun can grow. It is the best light source period.

Your environment is key to deciding what light source to use. Sealed/unsealed room. If you are in a cold environment LED will need extra heat.. If you are in a warm climate LED works great. I use a mix of CMH/LED to help with both scenarios. IMO it produces a better spectrum, the best of both.

Tynehead Tom

I use the triple whammy aproach hehehe ya I just made that shit up.... I'm f-cking bitzed right now haha
But I use LED , HPS and sunshine..... just not at the same time .... LED in the tent , HPS in the big room which usually runs in the winter though i am just fiishing up a quick bud run to tide me over till the greenhouse comes down. All the greenhouse plants were vegged in the tent. Gets real cold here in the winter so if i wasn't burning HID in the cold months I would be spending just as much in power having to run electric heaters to keep the LED room in optimal range. Just spent the last 2 years testing that out..... costs me more to run the LEDs and heaters in the winter than it does to run the HID.... not by huge money but enough that I can run the HID and it serves 2 purposes, light and heat.

But ya, nothing beats the sunshine , plants grow totally different outdoors under the sun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe-123

Thats a very loaded question which answer depends on you first defining what is "best".
It also depends on the climate you grow in, HID may still work well for some in colder climate while not so well for us in hotter climate. And with diy led and strips youre not bound to just using one, you can mix lighting.

Personally; from growing with leds with several different generations of diy led, we found that low K high cri white leds+ red supplement and some coverage over the near uv and uva is what guves us the best combination of yield, quality and finiahing times.
Sadly youd have to build that light yourself, the led grow light market seems stuck in building copies of the same light, only wattage and output vary a bit.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! It helped me understand how to DIY a grow light. Yes, that's right—the lighting market offers many types of grow lights, and often the wattage listed isn't the whole wattage.

Maybe-123

Sun is best of course....but with the sun comes outdoor pests and diseases.
LED being usually in a controlled environment works well, especially with a good spectrum.
So all other things aside....sun will always beat LED
Yes, the sun is always beat LED, although the sun comes pests and diseases.

Maybe-123

When you say "natural sunlight" what do you mean? Winter or summer, dusk or noon, overcast or cloudless equatorial or not, which elevation?

It varies tremendously depending on time, weather and location.
This is a complex question because the sun changes over time and there are many other factors to consider. I just want to know which option is better, but in reality, it's not an easy question to answer according to experienced grower information.

Hiddenjems

Sun is best of course....but with the sun comes outdoor pests and diseases.
LED being usually in a controlled environment works well, especially with a good spectrum.
So all other things aside....sun will always beat LED
You can get more photons into a plant with indoor lighting than outdoor almost anywhere in the world. Just look at some Dli charts.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
The optimum would probably be a sun powered greenhouse where the sunlight is extended with leds. And ofc featuring fully controlled environment.
If costs don't matter, and you comparing simple outdoor to indoor leds, leds will probably win, because the environment is much more stable, no pests, and the light while being less powerful, it's always there without variation and always given at the needed strenght.

Hiddenjems

The optimum would probably be a sun powered greenhouse where the sunlight is extended with leds. And ofc featuring fully controlled environment.
If costs don't matter, and you comparing simple outdoor to indoor leds, leds will probably win, because the environment is much more stable, no pests, and the light while being less powerful, it's always there without variation and always given at the needed strenght.
This is going to be one of my future projects. Basically indoor but with a glass roof.

Rocket Soul

This is going to be one of my future projects. Basically indoor but with a glass roof.
Glass roof takes away pretty much all of the uv goodness, which is the star of the show. I like my outdoor properly sunkissed, no greenhouses. Can you link those dli charts? In spain its hard to believe that you can pull of anything that beats the sun in intensity. Also if talking about total light you need to also consider that a lot of outdoor goes on for a whole season, theres a lot of days in summer and spring...

Hiddenjems

Glass roof takes away pretty much all of the uv goodness, which is the star of the show. I like my outdoor properly sunkissed, no greenhouses. Can you link those dli charts? In spain its hard to believe that you can pull of anything that beats the sun in intensity. Also if talking about total light you need to also consider that a lot of outdoor goes on for a whole season, theres a lot of days in summer and spring...
It’s not the intensity, it’s that indoor lighting is peak intensity for all 12 hours of daylight. There is no dawn or dusk period of lowered intensity.
IMG_1384.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts