What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

When comparing natural sunlight to LED grow lights, which one truly outperforms the other?

mr.brunch

Veteran
I prefer to smoke the outdoor, and this is in England.
Many people won't even try it though. Weed snobbery is real, and how $100 8th's sell. Marketing outdoor is a lost battle here. Even giving it away.
If it's not obviously outdoor, and you can brand it off as a Sat that took months, it sells off its own strengths. People don't need telling where it was grown. If they know, their programming kicks in, and they get more value from exercising their snobbery, than they could get paying for something that they think grows for free.
I hear you mate, people don’t understand weed in this country… got to have a dessert name and come in a little tub.
And you can see most of it has been tumbled for resin.

Brother Nature

People have a similar poor opinion of outdoor down here too, mostly as a lot of outdoor is grown guerilla style by criminal organizations and cared for poorly, so on a large scale the examples are bad, but I always do a few plants outside in my backyard each year and if I don't tell anyone they always prefer the outdoor to the indoor. I ran some sour diesel outdoor and indoors last year an the jar or the outdoor was finished long before the jar for the indoor.

Ca++

I was just musing over this.
When I switch to 12/12, I get a different type of growth. That couple of weeks, is not growth like I had in veg, slowly changing to bloom. No. I think it's a bit different. More structural development, of a meaningful nature. The plant stops keeping it's options open after 12/12, and sticks to a single plan. Making good, with what is has.
I might also draw evidence of this from a plant's dislike of training during this time. They really like to establish in grow, then reinforce that growth during transition.
If this bares out, then transition is worth a better look. Indoors, we see a rapid need to get through transition. Outdoors, it's a different picture (away from the tropics). Transition isn't forced upon a plant as something to rush through. A plant can hover around 13-15 hours light, for some time, outdoors. This gives a good DLI and the signal to transition, without the 'because you missed it' signal 12/12 brings.
If the transition truly exists as a time to toughen up what you managed to grow in veg, then it's a meaningful stage of life. One the indoor plant doesn't get.
Perhaps a week of 14h days, would produce a more capable plant once into later bloom.

My musings cross paths with those of others in this area. The 'why' being less important than the actual results. With related photoperiod trials pointing this way.

I am obviously stoned, so answers on a postcode :)

Latest posts

Latest posts