What's new

What to do if I can’t smoke anymore.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
@Rider420

I was diagnosed with CHS. Had issues with it for 10 years. Figured out a good 90% of all the CHS csses are azadirachtin/neem based. I use cannabis all day, every day, and with zero CHS symptoms.

Out of all the people I have known with CHS, only one person still had symptoms when using neem/azadirachtin free cannabis.

Cactus Squatter

Also.. what are your omega ratios like? They need to be around 1:1 omega 3 and 6 to modulate cb receptors.
The western diet is about 10:1, far too much omega 6.
A couple of tablespoons of chia seeds soaked in a glass water every day helps the balance.
I actually do take chia almost every day. We also have a native chia in my area that we frequently eat from while hiking. Love the stuff.
Not sure exactly what my omega ratios are due to my wife being the one that pays attention to that stuff more but I’ll look into that further as well. We don’t eat a “typical American diet” though. Almost all organically homegrown veggies, grass fed beef, fish we get sent from up north her family catches because they’re psycho bastards who love sitting on ice all winter 😂 Everything as clean as we possibly can.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
There's a huge difference between burning and inhaling run of the mill marijuana and truly clean cannabis. When the last exhale of the bowl is almost as tasty as the first, you'll notice significant improvements in lung health.

It's not the cannabis Mon!! :)
Burning any plant matter and inhaling it will not be good for your lungs. No lung will be improved by inhaling "clean cannabis", whatever that might be.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Healthier than most smog, I'm sure, and much healthier than many working environments, homes and businesses.

Yes, you can help a lot of lung issues with cannabis.

This is pointless, 99% of cannabis users and growers have no experience or even clues about what I mean by clean cannabis. I'll refer those who insist they know anyway to my "Let them be wrong" thread.

Unwatching this one. ;)

Blue Rhino

So, I have a feeling the day is coming soon where I need to stop smoking, at least at the level I do. My throat is starting to get really sensitive to inhaling smoke, and after 30+ years of smoking I’m sure my lungs could use a break. Especially considering every job I have had is also hell on the lungs with dirt, particles and glass.

The problem is… I don’t feel edibles, at all. I thought I was screwing up everything I make at home somehow, but everyone I give edibles to gets annihilated by them. Apparently they’re plenty strong. I also can’t feel the store bought edibles anymore. The only way I can feel them is by jumping up to a 1000mg chocolate bar or something like that. Even if I take a month + off from smoking/using I still don’t really feel the edibles. They used to rock me, but not in the last 10 years or so.

I tried going to Dabs thinking 1-2 hits vs a whole bowl would be better for my throat/chest, but dabs tear me up and all I feel is a rushing feeling that goes away quickly.

I don’t drink so alcohol tinctures are out.

My entire life only smoking has given me the feeling I am looking for and the relief I need. Anyone have this same issue with only smoking being effective, but needing to cut way back on the lung abuse? Got any tricks to share?
Indeed I do. I have the same problem with edibles but there is an infusion recipe that that will work every time you take it. Be warned though, you may end up spending the bulk of your day pretty wrecked. I only make this for special occasions.

Use 5g of bud and break it up into pea-sized nugs and place on a baking tray, or in a Pyrex dish.
Heat oven to 240F, put your bud in the oven and decarb for 40 minutes.
Once decarbed grind it up. Now take a double boiler (or a saucepan, it'll just require more attention to the heat) and add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1/2 teaspoon of lecithin and heat at 220F for 20 minutes. If your weed starts to fall to the bottom of the pot give it a gentle stir. Once heated let cool and then freeze it.
Heat again at 220F for 20 minutes and you're done. Straining is optional. If you have access to empty gel-caps you can put a drop or three into each one. Take ONE and wait 45 minutes to an hour. If you don't feel anything take a second one. Wait 45 minutes to an hour. If you still don't feel anything keep repeating the pattern until you find your sweet spot. That of course will depend on the potency of the weed you use, how much oil you use and how many drops/cap you use.

You can also lessen the potency if they're too strong by adding more coconut oil or starting out with less weed. As well, if you plan on making some baked goods with it you'll definitely want to add more oil. And if those baked goods you make require eggs then you won't need to add any lecithin.

If you find you get a case of the sleepies after ingesting, try decarbing your next batch longer than 45 minutes, up to an hour at most (still at 240F).

You can do this on a much smaller scale while figuring it out. Use the same directions as above for decarbing and heating with a nug about the size of your baby fingernail.
The difference is when you add your oil, just use enough to make a paste out of it and the weed. You can probably skip the second heating since it is such a small amount. If you have liquid lecithin add a drop or two instead of 1/2 teaspoon. If not, no biggie.

You can also make the above infusion with hash or kief as well. I do recommend using gel-caps if you have access to them regardless of your starting stock as it's much easier to dose. With the above infusion each 1ml drop will contain 25mg of THC. Potency will depend on what your starting stock is and how much oil you use for the infusion.

Hope this helps.

Cactus Squatter

Interesting thread. I'm a little younger than you, but have had a similar experience recently. I smoke a lot but have noticed it taking a toll on my lungs and throat at points (throat when smoking dabs or hash). I'm a bong smoker and always have been, every other method still gets me high, but just not the same way. I had this discussion with a friend of mine who used to be a big wave surfer and he gave me some interesting advice that I've also not seen in this thread. Exercise. Not your run of the mill cardio or strength training (thought I'm sure that helps), but breathing exercises, most specifically diaphragm exercises and yoga related exercises. Aside from the obvious lung improvements, it helps with blood circulation, which is very important in metabolizing the beneficials of cannabis. It's helped massively with the heavy lung feeling I used to get when hitting the bong too many times in a week and I'm still smoking the same amounts. I did also invest in a Volcano hybrid, but I really didn't like the ritual of using the turkey bags and I get the best high from setting the temp as high as it gets, so the whip ended up hurting my throat the same as overdoing it on dabs. I managed to get a little glass adapter that allows me to plug the whip into my bong. For me, this is the way I get the highest currently and it doesn't aggravate my lungs at all.

I do also think there is a psychological component to how high you get off different methods. Some swear only joints get them high, some swear only vapes work, etc... But I think of it kind of like sex, you get used to one way of getting off and that works so that's what you commit to, it's habitual, even if you abstain for a while. Humans get used to routine, it works for us, but committing to a new habit and changing an old one is fucking hard, tolerance breaks are good for recharging, but they're not really changing anything. Learning a new way of doing something and letting your mind get used to it before your body does is important to making that change. Good luck to you bro and there's some pretty good advice on this thread, wish you the best of luck. This next loads for you... :bongsmi:

View attachment 18735612
So that’s one more reason my lazy ass needs to get back to daily yoga and breath work.
I’ve been so busy the last 8 months I haven’t slowed down and done that near enough for myself. Used to be yoga was 2x a day plus breath work during the day as part of our work program.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It will never be like smoking and most people can't really feel it at all, or nothing other that some some subtle relaxation. Consider yourself lucky! I usually skip the buds, and add a dollop of cannabuter to my teas.. :D

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I just read through this entire thread and maybe I missed it but no one really suggested a dry herb vaporizer (other than the Volcano).

I have a ton of PORTABLE dry herb vapes and I often use them in the morning to go easy on my lungs. Later on, I start with smoking.

I can recommend a portable vaporizer in your price range if you like. I have the Pax 3 which is very nice. I have a very low cost Healthy Rips vape that can be had new for about $100. All these vaporizers are great performers and can give hits nearly as rewarding as smoking. I currently own 20 or 30 vaporizers but have owned many many more in the past and sold most of them.

I have vapes that feel like joints, feel like pipes, ones that attach to my bong, electric vapes. I have one that puts my pants on for me in the morning. OK, OK, that last one was a lie. LOL

Now, I am talking about a DRY HERB VAPORIZER type vape. Not a cartridge or liquid vape thingy. You take straight flower pot and put it in a bowl and smoke it.... well, vape it. Just like the Volcano, except they are not a zillion dollars. And, they are pocket sized and portable with very nice rechargeable and/or replaceable batteries.

Way easier on the lungs and throat and it will give you a taste of pot that is the best you'll ever have. I must say, vaping tastes WAY better than smoking. Unfortunately, I am an addict and have no control over what I do so I mostly smoke joints. LOL

Feel free to ask if I can help.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gry

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back in the day I was in "announcer training studios" in NYC. One of the tricks used to ward off sore throats and scratchy sounding intros on the air was a Halls Menthol Eucalyptus ( https://www.gethalls.com/relief/halls-menthol-lyptus-flavor-cough-drops ) cough drop melting in a hot cup of tea. Verry soothing to the throat and bailed me out when I was due to do my first audition tape ( reel to reel-that's how old I am heh )
Worked.

Cactus Squatter

Dry herb vapes have been tried. Volcano, voodoo, those wood box ones, and a pen one. The high is half assed feeling, weaker than smoking and the dry heat of them actually tears my throat up more than bongs and joints.
Distillate and rosin pens are the same. Half the feel and relief smoking green gives me and my throat absolutely hates them. The distillate pens also make my lungs feel like they’re coated in grease.

Buds in tea I flat out don’t feel, doesn’t matter how big a bud I waste doing it that way. Decarbed or not. Null. Same with any form of “just eating buds”. 😂 that’s just a cruel waste of any growing effort.

Large amounts of strong oil in my tea doesn’t work. I get slightly sleepy and that’s it.

I have tried everything everyone has suggested several times over the years with very minimal success. My end goal is to get completely away from smoking but so far nothing else works for me in the same way.
Look at it like this. Can any of you do a big squeeze from an RSO tube and feel next to nothing? I just barely get a light sleepiness from it. That’s my issue with any edible. Anyone else I know is in stupid town from even a little RSO.
It basically always comes down to having to smoke in order to get what I’m needing.

wuluz

Dry herb vapes have been tried. Volcano, voodoo, those wood box ones, and a pen one. The high is half assed feeling, weaker than smoking and the dry heat of them actually tears my throat up more than bongs and joints.
Distillate and rosin pens are the same. Half the feel and relief smoking green gives me and my throat absolutely hates them. The distillate pens also make my lungs feel like they’re coated in grease.

Buds in tea I flat out don’t feel, doesn’t matter how big a bud I waste doing it that way. Decarbed or not. Null. Same with any form of “just eating buds”. 😂 that’s just a cruel waste of any growing effort.

Large amounts of strong oil in my tea doesn’t work. I get slightly sleepy and that’s it.

I have tried everything everyone has suggested several times over the years with very minimal success. My end goal is to get completely away from smoking but so far nothing else works for me in the same way.
Look at it like this. Can any of you do a big squeeze from an RSO tube and feel next to nothing? I just barely get a light sleepiness from it. That’s my issue with any edible. Anyone else I know is in stupid town from even a little RSO.
It basically always comes down to having to smoke in order to get what I’m needing.
Have you tried Rectal with suppositories yet?
zapf2.jpg

zapf1.jpg

Or a tincture with DMSO?
regards

Taima-da

I know you've tried, but the thing that makes me feel chewing cob may work in the long run is the increasing sensitivity to the effect that happens over time.
It's hard to trust that chewing exclusively will do it when you start off, but such miniscule quantities work so well for me these days... it's funny but edibles that leave other people really messed up don't come near to the effect I'm getting from chewing these days, so it's not like my tolerance has dropped radically, I just don't enjoy the effect of extracts nearly as much...
after decades of burning 'em down near constantly I'm glad to say that I'm done with smoking and enjoy herb more than ever.
I wish you well