What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

Salmon strips are all pretty much tacky with pellicle formed mostly after hanging all night with an oscillating fan and a small 1500-watt heat panel, and right around+40 f for a low here last night with limited to no dew. Roughly 70 f. in the smokehouse. Near perfect... 2 larger vents open up top on the SW side, up near 10' off the ground and 1 smaller vent open down low on the NE side for cross-draft last night. More will get opened up as I light the wood stove fire shortly.... after my Italian mild brat with Tapatio, freshly sliced sweet onion, no sugar ketchup, and keto sausage bun.

Went through the hanging strips a bit ago and separated those as best as possible by hand if they were touching in the least. Trapped moisture is a bad thing in cold-smoked... or any smoking..

Gathered some dead and downed aspen I felled earlier this summer that was a standing dead tree and have a fair bit of green-cut alder out back that's been peeled.

Pics of last night's process and the hanging strips will be coming shortly.

Gotta' thaw another ~30 fillets to process tonight. That might conclude the traditional strips, but who knows? The things are so tasty that some of the conventional style fillets might have to make their way to traditional strips, as well. And even if they ALL get done as strips, they won't last.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts