What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What music are you listening to?

moose eater

10mm is good shooting but it ain't gonna stop a bear
The 10mm is one of the more recent and popular bush rounds for bear, especially when loaded 'hot' for the 10mm's capacity, rather than down-loaded similarly to a .40 S&W. If one wants the performance of a .40 S&W, they should buy one instead. The 10 is typically built to withstand greater chamber pressures.

Throw in some tin and lead alloy-hardened hard cast bear projectiles in the 180 to 220-grain range, and you can have a heavier projectile than with a .357 Mag moving at speeds notably faster than a .357 Mag., but with the penetration capacity of the hard cast alloy projectile.

But for the more compact carry in the bush among the better revolvers, still incorporating hot loads with significant velocity potential and hard cast alloy bear projectiles in the mid-300 grain range, the .454 Casull is the better in my opinion. Though it's a 6-round wheel gun.

I quit carrying my S&W .500 Magnum 4" bbl stnls a long time ago, and traded it for a meat wagon for my 4-wheelers, though lately it's used more often for moving logs/wood around the property. The S&W .500 Magnum, much like their X-frame .460 (same frame, different caliber), is a boat anchor. Cumbersome and heavy, though the weight helps to make the recoil seem less.

That gun's ballistics, with a 440-grain Cor-Bon 'Hunter' cartridge had it coming out of an 8-3/8" bbl -version of that gun at 1,680 fps, with 2,500+ ft.-lbs. of energy... It was akin to carrying a .45-70 rifle with hard cast cartridges in your shoulder holster. What I used to call, "A rifle in your pocket..." Though you'd have needed a rugged and sizable pocket.

Last edited:

moose eater

Same guy, different band and genre....

Kitchener (Ontario) Blues Festival... Amazingly talented local (Kitchener/Ontario) young man assisting on lead guitar...

With the absolutely wonderful, amazing, wise, and sexy as fuck... Anne Harris on violin...

Last edited:

moose eater

And, Anne Harris, a bit older, standing in with Halo Rider. She gets a little preachy for most of the first 2", so if that's not your thing, fast-forward to about the 1-minute, 15-second mark.

Last edited:

mudballs

The 10mm is one of the more recent and popular bush rounds for bear, especially when loaded 'hot' for the 10mm's capacity, rather than down-loaded similarly to a .40 S&W. If one wants the performance of a .40 S&W, they should buy one instead. The 10 is typically built to withstand greater chamber pressures.

Throw in some tin and lead alloy-hardened hardcast bear projectiles in the 180 to 220-grain range, and you can have a heavier projectile than with a .357 Mag moving at speeds notably faster than a .357 Mag., but with the penetration capacity of the hardcast alloy projectile.

But for the more compact carry in the bush among the better revolvers, still incorporating hot loads with significant velocity potential and hardcast alloy bear projectiles in the mid-300 grain range, the .454 Casull is the better in my opinion. Though it's a 6-round wheel gun.

I quit carrying my S&W .500 Magnum 4" bbl stnls a long time ago, and traded it for a meat wagon for my 4-wheelers, though lately it's used more often for moving logs/wood around the property. The S&W .500 Magnum, much like their X-frame .460 (same frame, different caliber), is a boat anchor. Cumbersome and heavy, though the weight helps to make the recoil seem less.

That gun's ballistics, with a 440-grain Cor-Bon 'Hunter' cartridge had it coming out of an 8-3/8" bbl -version of that gun at 1,680 fps, with 2,500+ ft.-lbs. off energy.. It was akin to carrying a .45-70 rifle with hardcast cartridges in your shoulder holster. What I used to call, "A rifle in your pocket..." Though you'd have needed a rugged and sizable pocket.
Fkn hell 440grain?!

xtsho

Damn, 50 pages since I last looked at this thread. I'm not going back to look at all the good music people have posted so I'm just going to post what I'm listening to.

I'm supposed to see ELO on August 30th which is the 4th concert of their Over and Out tour and most likely their final tour ever. Last time I saw them was 2019. Makes me want to cry seeing all these great bands slowly die off.

moose eater

I just threw moose into a jam hole lol...we wont see him for at least 10 minutes lol
My somewhat tangential brain went straight from String Cheese Incident to another in their (somewhat similar) genre, Leftover Salmon. We attended a live show by them as a PAC here in either 2000 or 2004, near Fairbanks, when we were working legalization gigs, Prop 5 in 2000 and Prop 2 in 2004.