What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What music are you listening to?

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
Premium user
420club
No, but coming home from the Yukon Territory the other day, with a semi coming toward me in the opposing lane, an open beer, and a sneeze that couldn't be avoided, which I knew would cause me to close my eyes reflexively for a brief second... right about the same time the semi and I were passing.

It went well, anyway... obviously.
catch any fish?

moose eater

catch any fish?
1 nice fat lake trout male with meat that was fairly solid orange with fat. He's in the freezer, rolled up in a heavier clear plastic bag with masking tape, awaiting a date with either the grill or the oven.

The specific date to be determined by numerous variables, but especially the number of people at any given meal for which the fish might qualify. I figure it's a 5 to 6-person laker, myself. So maybe an outdoor group or family meal beneath the screen tent?

Fished for some odd surfacing fish at Pick Handle Lake at the rest area there, where there normally would've been a couple dozen ducks on parade, performing for scraps and snacks tossed by the odd passing tourists, but instead we were greeted there by flashing tales, visible dorsal fins above the surface, the occasional tussle between them over flying and water-landing bugs, and them visibly swimming amongst each other in small depressions in the lake bottom near us.

Figured the best way to ID them was to hook one.

But I only got their attention once or twice with a smaller spinner, and those might've merely been unintentional near snags or snags, simply resulting from the density of the population of the little buggers and dragging a smaller treble hook spinner through them.

Who wants fake fish or insect-like metal spinners when there's fresh bugs to be had for dinner?

They scoffed at the majority of the small spoons and spinners I threw their way, but for the one, with profound yellow and black spots, with a black rooster tail set-up on it.

Didn't even try this trip, with 2 runs into the lake there, to catch the grayling in the pool to the downstream side of the leveling dam at Aishihik Lake, rather sitting by myself and quietly watching the glowing base of the fire at my camp, splitting the required amount of firewood and kindling, smoking some good pot, and drinking quality local beers. As well as chowing on good grub.

The lake trout resting in rigor mortis in the freezer wrapped in plastic came from another lake with which I have a much longer history, involving people who were surrogate family for nearly a half-century now.

It rained at our home a fair bit while I was gone, and especially consistently for a couple days after my arrival home, so there's now some molding raspberries that need tended to, the remaining good and ripe or ripening ones to harvest or monitor for winemaking, and LOTS of weeding to be done in the somewhat neglected veggie and potato gardens, too.

Last edited:

moose eater

kick ass @moose eater
look at you go feeding people under a screen tent?!
i have not had a trout in ??
but i love the fish stories and hope you and yours are doing good man

Contrary to misinterpretations and narrower than real judgements by others at the forums, we've had many meals with our family, though typically outdoors, and for special events in the winter, typically around a bon fire, such as for Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or winter birthdays. No screen tent necessary in the winter. Just keep the embers from your nylon or cotton-outer type winter clothes. And make a point to sit close enough to the bonfire to keep both yourself warm and to slow the cooling of whatever course of the meal is in your possession.

Those events often involve serving the meal in courses, if only to keep the food relatively warm during its consumption. But it's typically OK in the end, other than for when some have a difficult time lighting the fire and I have to depart my cooking duties to ignite the thing.

And most deserts are fine cold, too, so that works pretty well. Though pie with ice cream can often stay warm near the fire, or be eaten cool to cold, as well, and still be fantastic stuff.

Innovation allows for all sorts of stuff to occur, while still maintaining a relatively healthful regimen or protocol.