What's new

What does this much red indicate?

ice minus

Novice here and not embarrassed to share my oddities, screw ups, trials and tribulations

A guy on my tiny Discord server bred Congo x Pineapple Fritter and sent me the seeds

I grew it out and chopped it just now as the pistils have been orange for days.

PXL_20240928_042758339.jpg

Day 61 here

Bud sizes ended up small, and as you can see, ridiculous red colors on the leaves and stems

I'm sure it's indicative of a screw up of mine which I totally accept.

It smells really good though despite the red stems and I'm just curious will it still be ok to consume?

Or should I throw it away?

I'm mostly sure the problem likely arose from my water pH being all over the place. I was trying different ranges this last little while after suspecting bad pH pen readings

Much appreciated for the advice!

Brother Nature

That actually looks pretty cool man.

Looks like a combination of genetics and likely nutrient deficiency due to the ph imbalance, what medium were they grown in? It doesn't look bad either, just slightly underdeveloped. Definitely don't throw them out.

ice minus

That actually looks pretty cool man.

Looks like a combination of genetics and likely nutrient deficiency due to the ph imbalance, what medium were they grown in? It doesn't look bad either, just slightly underdeveloped. Definitely don't throw them out.
Brother Nature!! Thank you so much for checking my thread out man and for the vote of confidence! I've gotten the red leaves on the end fade with some strains before but the red stems had me convinced it was the plant showing me I screwed up along the way. My water comes out extremely alkaline at like 8.3 pH and requires constant battling to keep it in range (drifts hugely sometimes within a day even! Which I suspect happened in my reservoir on this plant), combined with me not staying on top of it like I should..

Bud size is definitely small, as you've noticed.. it absolutely smells really great though so I was mostly looking for guidance if it should still be worth drying out and pursuing

Big thanks again for your time & help

ice minus

OH shoot and the medium was Black Soil KIS Mix

Amended along the way with Gaia Green Power Bloom once a few weeks into flowering

And fed various things throughout the way, all good stuff, microbes and coconut water and aloe flakes, molasses at times. Compost tea at dry amendment time etc.. Hard to recite it all on the spot

PadawanWarrior

Novice here and not embarrassed to share my oddities, screw ups, trials and tribulations

A guy on my tiny Discord server bred Congo x Pineapple Fritter and sent me the seeds

I grew it out and chopped it just now as the pistils have been orange for days.

View attachment 19074340

Day 61 here

Bud sizes ended up small, and as you can see, ridiculous red colors on the leaves and stems

I'm sure it's indicative of a screw up of mine which I totally accept.

It smells really good though despite the red stems and I'm just curious will it still be ok to consume?

Or should I throw it away?

I'm mostly sure the problem likely arose from my water pH being all over the place. I was trying different ranges this last little while after suspecting bad pH pen readings

Much appreciated for the advice!
That thing is beautiful. I'm sure that one's mostly genetic. Cold temps and lack of P can exacerbate it. So can pH issues. Definitely don't throw it out. Looks great. I probably would have waited longer but I usually like the heavier high.
Nice job man. :canabis:

ice minus

That thing is beautiful. I'm sure that one's mostly genetic. Cold temps and lack of P can exacerbate it. So can pH issues. Definitely don't throw it out. Looks great. I probably would have waited longer but I usually like the heavier high.
Nice job man. :canabis:
omg, I wish I asked before cutting then, because I was curious about the same thing, if I should let it keep going or not. The breeder has never even grown the cross himself so I had no guidance, and after day 60 if I see almost entirely orange pistils, I assumed it was done.

In hindsight after hearing there would've been no harm and maybe even recommended, that really irks me, because it means my gut instinct was actually right and I chopped it down out of fear over anything else.. Damn.

Huge thanks for taking the time to check in and for the kind words man

PadawanWarrior

omg, I wish I asked before cutting then, because I was curious about the same thing, if I should let it keep going or not. The breeder has never even grown the cross himself so I had no guidance, and after day 60 if I see almost entirely orange pistils, I assumed it was done.

In hindsight after hearing there would've been no harm and maybe even recommended, that really irks me, because it means my gut instinct was actually right and I chopped it down out of fear over anything else.. Damn.

Huge thanks for taking the time to check in and for the kind words man
You can't go by pistil color. You want to see pistils receding and calyxes swelling. Then if you want you can check trichomes. Most people chop too early if you ask me.

troutman

Seed Whore
Don't worry too much. :tiphat:

I grew a Red Lady in 2009 and was proud. :giggle: