What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

What do you feed your dog?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is a bit long, yet I believe worth reading for what's in it. ;)

I have a 9yr old dog. We rescued him when he was approximately 1.5yrs old. His health was very poor due to the food he'd been getting before us. Over the years we've given him different bagged dog foods. He always had a cyst on his back, and it changed in size over the years as we changed foods. It never went away though.

Then we picked up rabbits and this dog started eating their poop. Ya know what? That cyst went away. lol I looked up a number of research papers later which pointed out the digestive benefits rabbit poop has for ruminant animals and pigs. I guess it helps dogs too? lol

Moving forward... We ended up feeding him Blue Buffalo Salmon dog food and he's been 'ok.' Except he was overweight, lethargic, going white/grey in his muzzle, his eyes were clouding up and he'd started acting like he was going blind.

Then, I started R&D on a process for making jerky treats for animals from 100% rabbit. It's super high protein, loaded with more Vitamin B12 and micro nutrients than other domesticated meats and perfect for pets.

Guess who got all the reject batches? lol

We quit feeding him the Blue Buffalo for a couple months. He was eating a can or two of sardines a day, a handful of rabbit jerky and one or two carrots a day.

Holy Crikey!!
We now have a 9yr old puppy. Lots of energy, clear eyes, no white/grey in his muzzle, and he dances for the jerky. I'm his best friend any time I'm in the kitchen now. lol

The jerky is very expensive, so once I figured out the process (It leaves the treat crumbly and super easy to eat) he only gets a few pieces a day. It's over 50% protein and 20% fat, so it does a great job treating him and adding extra nutrition with only small amounts. :)

So his diet, the last 2 months is a small handful of Blue Buffalo, a can of sardines (water/salt only) a few pieces of jerky, and all the raw carrots he wants. Hella happy, and apparently very healthy, dog now. :D

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
BTW...

Dogs with sensitive digestive systems can almost always eat rabbit. :) Rabbit meat is a recommended 'novel' protein source for an "elimination protocol" diet for allergies and digestive issues.

You basically feed your dog nothing but 100% rabbit for 6-8 weeks. Once their digestion/allergy problem goes away, you can introduce other foods back to their diet to test them.

I'm surprised rabbit was not mentioned more often in this thread...

Latest posts

Latest posts