What's new

What do you feed your dog?

Along with normal dog food I add all entrails I can find in my local shop, heart, liver and so on. Can promise my dog has the best fur in my neighbourhood:)

armedoldhippy

Veteran
my dog gets her usual 2 cups of dry dog food twice daily; plus a portion of any toast, cheese, peanut butter, meat, french fries etc that i eat, and whatever cat food/kitty treats she can steal from the cats.

superx

Veteran
no cooked bones- they will splinter in pets mouth

Indeed, that part is obvious...

I never give them cooked meat / bones.... only RAW if your interested, its called the barf diet. Every now and then i throw them some carbohydrates, which does not effect there muscle mass..
They are also quite partial to the post mans leg.........:)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Indeed, that part is obvious...

I never give them cooked meat / bones.... only RAW if your interested, its called the barf diet. Every now and then i throw them some carbohydrates, which does not effect there muscle mass..
They are also quite partial to the post mans leg.........:)

It might be obvious to you. but I assure you, you are rare indeed. The percentage of pet owners feeding raw is < 1.0%. Need proof? Go to any grocery store or big box pet store and read the ingredients on all the offerings. Disgusting. It's all about shareholder profits

superx

Veteran
Keep your knickers on,

Obvious that any responsible dog owner would not give there dog cooked bones, capache? (if not reread)

1% you say? i guess that is the first number that came in to your head, god only knows were you got that figure from...

The raw feeding veterinary society would laugh at your ridiculous numbers.

I will post you on several links, i can also suggest several books you might want to read instead of listening to the local Bob in the pet store...

Read the ingredients on the back of the box lol yea i guess the buck stops there....(try thinking out of the box)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep your knickers on,

Obvious that any responsible dog owner would not give there dog cooked bones, capache? (if not reread)

1% you say? i guess that is the first number that came in to your head, god only knows were you got that figure from...

The raw feeding veterinary society would laugh at your ridiculous numbers.

I will post you on several links, i can also suggest several books you might want to read instead of listening to the local Bob in the pet store...

Read the ingredients on the back of the box lol yea i guess the buck stops there....(try thinking out of the box)

Do you know what percentage the AHVMA (American Holistic Veterinary Assoc) make up is total veterinarians? Less than 1%. Of the rest, many are selling junk pet foods in their clinics

superx

Veteran
Changing the statistic to the number of vets in the american holistic vetinary assoc in no way reflects the number of people practising raw feeding. Your 1% is a completely random number you pulled out of thin air. It is a logical fallacy to suggest proof of a statistic is to "go into any grocery store" this is no closer to proof of a cited statistic than me staring at my own shoes. I dont dispute vets sell junk pet food. However I do suggest if you have links to verify your 1% claim of people engaging in raw feeding practise to post, as opposed to me going into my local grocery store to verify it, that would be great. Otherwise it is still a statistic you have pulled out of the air. Dont use stats unless they have an actual basis, the world has enough of made up nonsense as it is. I am more than open to reading any papers academic or otherwise which verify your 1% claim. Or any links to verifiable sources which cite this 1% claim. Cheers.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Changing the statistic to the number of vets in the american holistic vetinary assoc in no way reflects the number of people practising raw feeding. Your 1% is a completely random number you pulled out of thin air. It is a logical fallacy to suggest proof of a statistic is to "go into any grocery store" this is no closer to proof of a cited statistic than me staring at my own shoes. I dont dispute vets sell junk pet food. However I do suggest if you have links to verify your 1% claim of people engaging in raw feeding practise to post, as opposed to me going into my local grocery store to verify it, that would be great. Otherwise it is still a statistic you have pulled out of the air. Dont use stats unless they have an actual basis, the world has enough of made up nonsense as it is. I am more than open to reading any papers academic or otherwise which verify your 1% claim. Or any links to verifiable sources which cite this 1% claim. Cheers.

In a court of law a person can be found guilty with circumstantial evidence.

Grocery store pet food isles (often fully one half of an entire isle), and bog box pet stores (full isles+) have little to no quality pet foods.
Why do you keep debating this?

I know, as I have scouted them looking for high quality dry dog food for a friend who will not feed raw, or open cans.

As you keep challenging everything I say, why not contact AHVMA and report what they tell you?

superx

Veteran
In a court of law a person can be found guilty with circumstantial evidence.

Grocery store pet food isles (often fully one half of an entire isle), and bog box pet stores (full isles+) have little to no quality pet foods.
Why do you keep debating this?

I know, as I have scouted them looking for high quality dry dog food for a friend who will not feed raw, or open cans.

As you keep challenging everything I say, why not contact AHVMA and report what they tell you?

Apologies, i rated your post by mistake when trying to quote you..

You keep referring to the USA, why are you doing that?
Your 1% is irrelevant to the rest of the world do you understand?
The world does not revolve around the USA, do you understand?
I will keep challenging you until you some how grasp the fact, your 1% figures for the World is utter balderdash......

Try admitting those statistics ONLY APPLY TO THE USA....

I find it very difficult and quite exasperating how you can not simply grasp that fact.....

Maybe try growing a brain for yourself under those Leds

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Apologies, i rated your post by mistake when trying to quote you..

You keep referring to the USA, why are you doing that?
Your 1% is irrelevant to the rest of the world do you understand?
The world does not revolve around the USA, do you understand?
I will keep challenging you until you some how grasp the fact, your 1% figures for the World is utter balderdash......

Try admitting those statistics ONLY APPLY TO THE USA....

I find it very difficult and quite exasperating how you can not simply grasp that fact.....

Maybe try growing a brain for yourself under those Leds

and there it is, he finally resorted to making it personal

Yes America first lol. No, I cannot speak for the rest of the world, and neither can you. So how about YOU supporting your the 'rest of the world' with actual statistics?:dunno:

Green Squall

Milk Bones seem to be the most popular dog biscuit out there. Everyone I know gives them to their dog. Healthy or junk?

Dro Smoe

I feed Wellness to my boxer and beagle to their great satisfaction.. Used to feed Purina until I learned that the product they're selling is garbage, just like the majority of grocery store dog foods here in the States.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Depends on the dog.
My wife and I rescued and re-homed 52 dogs over the last 7 years and we saw a great variety in acceptable diets. They were the most receptive and healthiest with home prepped food, a mix of 50% meat, 25% rice and 25% carrots. Each breed and mutt handled different meats well. Our rottie (until he was poisoned to death a month ago) did the best with lamb, not so well with ground beef and ok with occasional chicken. No oatmeal or eggs for that guy, big no-nos.

Other dogs did just fine with straight beef, some could only handle chicken. Most of them handled raw carrots just fine, though introducing them with cooked carrots usually worked better. The red meats were partially cooked, left very bloody, and the chicken was completely cooked. Some of the dogs did well with chicken and some occasional salmon, others couldn't handle salmon or the chicken and had to stick with red meats.

Get a rice cooker, we prefer stainless steel, and the rice portion is easy. A food processor will turn carrots into thick slices very quickly. Red meat is easy to slice up and cook a bit, chicken can be left to cook in the oven. Though it takes time, the increased energy and health is definitely worth it.

Any dog food with corn in it should be avoided completely. If they're using corn, they really don't care about your dog.

Good Luck! :D

Latest posts

Latest posts