What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

WHAT ARE YOU EATING TODAY?

moose eater

potting tree rats with a valuable collectors item, i see. that was Remingtons very first bolt-action, and only made for three years... you have one from the last year made. :good:
About 20-25% of the rifling is shot out of the barrel, and the finish has zero blueing left, reduced to a beautiful gun-metal gray, with the natural darkening of the wood on the stock that occurs from decades of handling over nearly 90 years, but with the standard (for that era) 'pencil tube' Weaver B4 scope on a diagonal side-mount Weaver N3 it's taken more than its weight in pesky tree rats.

It predates mandatory serial numbers, and has none on it.

The scope is nearly worthless with any angle that even gets -close- to sun glare. Though I found a scope repair place whose contact I still have here someplace, that not only offered to repair an old 1st gen Redfield Hunter 3-9x40 (that was broken from the factory, which I didn't discover until after Redfield had gone bust, but before they reopened production under a new entity), but who said they could also effectively rebuild BOTH of my antique Weaver B4 scopes, the other of which is on a Canadian-made Winchester bolt-action repeater with factory engraving on the stock, branded as a 'Cooey'.

The Remington model 33 (long barrel, single-shot, bolt-action) came to me from an old friend, now in the SW US, who was a mechanic up here, among many other things, including a self-taught machinist who built his own FN FAL, and was a fellow legalizer with us 20+ years ago, who sent it to me for my older son to learn to shoot.

He'd found and was gifted the rifle when he (and his now-deceased brother) were demolishing his grandfather's garage in Erie, Pennsylvania, and the rifle was just leaning up against a corner inside the garage.

They put down rabbits, bunnies, and candle flames for many years, before he gave it to me.

Even missing a visible amount of rifling, it's still often a tack-driver, depending on the amount of debris in the barrel. It actually LIKES to be just a little dirty; I think it helps to make up for the slight void from the missing rifling/threads in the barrel..

Last edited:

right

These artichokes are delicious 😋
20240918_142544.jpg

moose eater

Beef sausage made with white Mexican cheese and ancho chilis, on a keto bun with no sugar ketchup, one and a half ears of sweet peaches and cream style sweet corn from Costco, and a half-ear of similar sweet corn from the greenhouse. (We let the greenhouse ear go too long, and the sugars were converting to starch). :(

RO H2O, and a 12-oz. hard lime seltzer at 5% abv. Along with a few pills for the night.

Latest posts

Latest posts