What's new

washing your buds???

h20 dipped nugs

h20 dipped nugs

I live in a dusty environment. The wind blows every afternoon. It doesn't rain here between April and October. My buds get a coating of dust and debris on them. I would never smoke those dust covered buds. Thus, I dip them.

I don't use lemon juice or hydrogen peroxide. Just plain RO water. I dip twice.

These are my Headgames3xTriangleKush cross buds.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Well - I wash the little cherry tomatoes I get from my tomato plant in water - before eating them - so it makes sense to try and get the cleanest buds you can - a good shower should fix it - whether natural or artificial -

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Don't September & October rains wash a lot of that stuff off ?

At least for outdoor folks.

Rain just runs over them. A wash is a little more giggly. Lol

I wash my personal smetimes. Everything else gets trimmed, dried and cured a bit and finishes in the vac bags.

The only thing I don't like about washing my indoor bud is that it removes the cat hair. Lol

St. Phatty

Once I made the mistake of drying clothes near some flowering plants and the oscillating fan did it's thing - and I ended up with buds covered in polyester cotton who knows what.

Where I live the dust is formidable, the air just has a lot of dust in it, on the edge of BLM forest. You should see my printer, computer etc. WAAAY more dust than they ever got in suburbia.

But I don't see any dust on the buds. And I'm eyeballing them every morning, wearing my up-close glasses etc.

If I had a late-term spider mite infestation on some really good bud and went the Safer's route, I might be tempted to dunk wash the buds.

Is the bud a little more rugged (harder to break) if you wash it a week or 2 before harvest ? Wouldn't want to knock the trichomes loose.

Brother Nature

This is quite interesting. Not something I would have ever thought about doing, but seems to be quite popular. Will try this on a little of my upcoming harvest, take few grams, wash them, compare it to the unwashed, plus if I fuck it up I can just make bubble hash. I tend to be pretty anal about keeping my tent and grow area's super clean, but sometimes I do get bits of sweater fuzz on some of the tops if I'm reaching over them to get to the rear ones, easy enough to pull off though. I can imagine there's a fair bit of unseen particulate matter that gets into even the cleanest of indoor grows so I guess it's worth a shot if you're really concerned about what you ingest.

troutman

Seed Whore
If I could haul maybe 200 pounds of ice and 100 gallons of distilled water to my guerilla site.
I would ice/water wash my buds with heavy mixing and make water hashish using stainless
steel micron pail filters.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If I could haul maybe 200 pounds of ice and 100 gallons of distilled water to my guerilla site.
I would ice/water wash my buds with heavy mixing and make water hashish using stainless
steel micron pail filters.

You're up north so just fill a bucket, wait for it to top freeze and do the Gumby hash thing. Keep using the same water until you are dine. Drain the water after it settles and carry the slurry home.

Think I'm going to try that this year. :)

therevverend

Veteran
I think I get enough rain, my flowers have gotten washed quite enough this year.

Anyone who works with aromatic herbs knows that washing is the last thing you should do. Sage, basil, oregano, all that stuff loses a lot if you get it wet. Cannabis is the same. A picture will look fine, of course water isn't going to destroy it but it doesn't improve a thing and washes off quite a few terpenes and a bit of resin. Dust can be bad, you can always rinse them down a couple days before harvest. Insecticide and a lot of other shit people spray on their plants is nasty, probably worth washing off if you use that stuff. If you have bird shit and spider webs all over your plants you're a shitty grower. Grow in the direct sun away from the cobwebs and pigeon coops.

As far as washing vegetables, if it's something that lays on the ground and gets dirty of course it needs to be washed. I don't think I've washed more then a couple cherry tomatoes this year, usually I eat them straight off the bush along with my peppers. I tend to stuff my face with berries straight off the vine.

It's indoors that stuff gets dirty, once I pick my tomatoes and move them inside for a couple days they always have to be washed. There's a good reason people used to dry their laundry outside on lines. The wind and full sun kill just about anything. I always see water as the enemy as far as bacteria and fungus is concerned and dirt and dust stick much better to wet surfaces.

I don't wash mines.

I grow outdoors, and have never had anything more than a spider web, some of those little orangy-red things that come off of oak trees, (about a 1/4in long a cpl MM wide,) and if I see any caterpillar poop or bird shit, I pick that out.

Tried washing a few buds last year and saw/tasted/noticed no difference.
I DO try not to rough the buds up too much as I'm trimming, but then I only trim fans and feeder leaves that don't have any trichomes on them. I leave the sugar leaves to dry in and wrap the buds up. I find it protects the flower best in storage and hey... they smoke well and since I only roll joints or vape ground flower.. I don't notice any additional harshness.

I don't discount washing buds... but I don't do it. I don't want to go through the extra work just to burn it up.

troutman

Seed Whore
You're up north so just fill a bucket, wait for it to top freeze and do the Gumby hash thing. Keep using the same water until you are dine. Drain the water after it settles and carry the slurry home.

Think I'm going to try that this year. :)

No ice yet.

Would be cool to make water hashish in a big hole in the ice on a clean trout lake.

The trout can test out Terps too. :biggrin:

chuckyoufarley

Veteran
dont get sick very often so my immune system is good not like the people that are constantly washing their hands .got get some germs on ya to be able to build up your immune system
imo

A picture will look fine, of course water isn't going to destroy it but it doesn't improve a thing and washes off quite a few terpenes and a bit of resin.

Its more of a dip than a wash. Not really any agitation. A submersion and a quick egress. I can see the dust collect in the water, yet the water really doesn't smell like weed. I love super terpy strains. Its true that many terpenes are water soluble, but a quick dip wont extract them. Try a water cure sometime and you'll see how that extracts different substances over time. Time is the key.

There's no smell-0-vision invented yet, but the buds that I dip really don't loose much smell, but gain a cleaner smell after dipped, specially when smoked.

kaochiu

Veteran
This ending of season is being a bastard here, raining alternative days with this thick mist well into the morning. Water is not a problem for outdoor plants, wet bug shit is. During the sunny summer days bug crap just dries and bud keeps forming around it, but when the humidity goes up the rot starts from inside out. Spraying Bacillus Turghinensis once a week until little buds start forming seems to hold it, yet this end of season looks programmed to fuck.
I've got a lighter for big cigars, and if I see a little brownish anything, I torch it directly for a few seconds. It seems to work better than when I carefully remove rot and clean around with alcohol.
As for washing the end product dunno what to say since I never did, and (as a country grower) it sounds a bit hysterical as for getting rid of dirt in the plant (if organic). Chemical products residues are the sort of dirt I'd avoid, so I don't use any. Then again, I smoke, so the bud burns, so pyrolisis does the final cleaning

ohimaria

Out(of mind)Grower
https://www.docbudsbrix.com/bud-was...B98k5vcK_jeCNsP_zp9P3FUMVSM9XF9V9eCVcQnpiDbi0

do any of you guys do this ??

cant say i ever would , i think the analogy with the garden veges is just ridiculous ,
some folks are afraid of dirt it seems ,, they best go live in a bubble , they are breathing the stuff when they are walking around outside , not to mention its even on their skin their hair , their dog ,
omg even their hands ...

thoughts anyone ??
I do not l have never washed, but I think a lot depends also and especially by the use to which they will have to do,

Many people say that vaporizing is better to wash it .. but not for cleaning because vaporizes better ..