What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

High Grade Vintage Cannabis photography

Fitzera

What an interesting thought. Especially if you wind back time to megafauna and megaflora eras where we had armadillo's the size of VW bugs. Or Dragonflies with a 2 foot wingspan. I believe the oxygen content is boasted for this gigantism of the ecosystems. They get fossilized bark from those eras that have air trapped inside, and it reads at something like 63% oxygen which is way more than we have today. (I'm going to have to re-read that paper and brush up on all those stats but i'm fairly positive thats the gist of it.)

Imagine a 50-60ft tall cannabis tree. The fuckin' smell boys. When I get anything in my garden over 8-9ft the smell permeation starts to increase drastically.

Something along the lines of bacteria back then was unable to break down lignin in dead plants. Bacteria use oxygen as they break down carbon rich material, lignin stopped this until they evolved. This is suspected to be the reason for the high oxygen levels of that time (35%?)

But I think I read another theory which I cant recall. Very interesting though...if we were alive then but as we are now, we would be the ants. The fly on the wall.

Sourbear

Something along the lines of bacteria back then was unable to break down lignin in dead plants. Bacteria use oxygen as they break down carbon rich material, lignin stopped this until they evolved. This is suspected to be the reason for the high oxygen levels of that time (35%?)

But I think I read another theory which I cant recall. Very interesting though...if we were alive then but as we are now, we would be the ants. The fly on the wall.

I often think about what it would be like to be alive in those days. I've contemplated writing an adventure novel that is based around surviving and era of Mega-fauna/Flora.
I might have to include their discovery of giant cannabis plants among the foliage in my writings XD.

grayeyes

But wait!!! You have to have all those test goodies, for humidity, light, ph, and god knows what else. You can't grow dope without all that.

Mimpi Manis

Yep

Yep

The best Thread in Icmag

Concur. The views of smart thoughtful experienced people sure cheer this old Hippie up. Nice to reminded that critical thinking and curious minds are not extinct all over. Not to mention the pleasure in reading someone can string a sentence or three. Lj

Mimpi Manis

Guerrilla grow from the early 80's. Mostly mixed sativas. When art was more popular than science. But not bad for the day. Visited this spot a few years ago after 35 years. The native forest, stream and pools full of Galaxos Minnows are gone. The whole place has been razed to plant Monteray Pines. Welcome your 21st Century neo liberal world.

Mimpi Manis

Images posted previously are scans of Kodak transparencies and a few B&W images. Taken with my trusty Pentax Spotmatic ll with Takumar 1.4 SMC lens. Bought in Singapore 1972. Dragged it around through SE Asia in 1979 where it documented my travels.

In Penang, we quickly learned Aceh weed had the reputation. (The famed Sumatran Red). Came from just across the ditch. Great shit. But it wasn't everywhere. Our local guy introduced us to some neat gear. I think he just like the company of us Hippies. Most of the stuff cost peanuts or was gifted. He was a local connoisseur no question. Papaya pipes and the like. School for stoners. Took us to a really good den owned by a really old dude in his late seventies. His opium, we found out later, was the good stuff. We learned how to smoke it using the lamp with and his 100 year old pipe. It was very congenial. No chasing the dragon stuff for us. We were just looking for a little adventure and a some hands on education. Great experience. No regrets. But for some... a different story.

Some Italian guys walked through gates of our little jungle stay in Penang near Taluk Bahang one day. (See B&W of girls playing volleyball in compound among Indo pics). They arrived right out of Burma. Dressed in British WW2 kit. Big baggy shorts and matching short sleeve khaki shirts. Immediately loved our place... a well run jungle camp with crystal clear stream as bathroom Cheap, amenable and friendly. The Italian guys said they had about 10 Thai sticks... and could they move here and bring the gear? You don't have to be a genius to see how that went. Next night arrives. One Italian guy, not familiar with Thai sticks, pulled out the stick, cut it in half and rolled a big doobie using big 666 glueless papers. Enough in one joint to have lasted me weeks. By the time the joint was half way into round two... everybody was talking at once. This stuff was the real deal. Next minute, one of the Italian guys got the screaming meamies. We had to walk him around for 30 minutes and splashed river water over him. Eventually did the trick. He never touched anything after that though. The rest of us were happy lining up to buy our new friends beers... encourage them to maybe stick around a few extra days.

The next good stuff was in Toba a few months later. A bud from a local guy. Pliable with resin. Nailed the five of us for hours. Never saw the guy again. Not surprising as I was a pretty hard bargainer. (Down to tin-taks at that stage). Think it cost about 500 rupes... around 80 cents in those days. If I had of known, and saw the guy again, would definitely have had a whip around. Then bought more and dished up a nice big tip. No penance that time tho.

Reckon I had some of the last of the good old days as a 'traveller'. Before the backpacking industry kicked in like a tsunami. Eventually killing places like Bali. But those views may just be conceit on my part. The pics may bring back a few memories for some. Remember it all like it was yesterday. Lj

mr.brunch

Veteran
From old Ed . Nl

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
The most ancient fossils of Cannabis (as Cannabis oligocaenica) seem to have been found in GERMANY, dated to the Oligocene Epoch (34-23 millions of years). View Image

CAN I GET YOU TO POST THE REFERENCE THIS WAS FOUND IN? -SamS

here we go -SamS

Friedrich P.A., 1883, Atlas zu den Abhandlungen zur geologischen Specialkarte von Preussen den Thüringischen Staaten, Band IV, Heft 3. Schropp: Berlin, Taf. XXI, 16-17.

In 1883, the discovery of a pair of plant fossils in Germany was reported, which were identified as leaves of a species of hemp, cataloged as Cannabis oligocaenica Friedrich, with uncertain dating, hypothetically considered of the Oligocene epoch (34-23 million years fa) (Friedrich, 1883a, pp. 165-166).
https://samorini.it/archeologia/asia/archeologia-della-canapa/

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕ 🦫
^Looks like both broad and narrow leaf exsited already 30 million years ago in Europe.

@StRa, thanks for sharing!

cannabis-friedrich.jpg

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
My first weed mag. About end 1997 but not sure about that. Info on mag is volume 3 nr 11.

picture.php

White widow from that mag

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts