What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Vaporing vs smoking and the effect it has on you

Ringodoggie

From what I understand, cannabis smoke contains the carcinogenic constituents in their precursor form but it does not have the enzymes required to activate them.

And, further, the carcinogenic constituents in cannabis are encapsulated to preclude the activation by foreign enzymes.

At least that's the way I understand the research I have read.

So, even though cannabis smoke does contain carcinogenic constituents, it does not contribute to cancer.

YMMV bit that's the way I understood it.

PadawanWarrior

No lung cancer but your nuts get chopped off, :ROFLMAO:

Huang et al. (2015) found an association between the incidence of testicular cancer (without further specification) and cannabis use that was frequent or of long duration.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
At least that's the way I understand the research I have read.
we must have read the same research papers. one said that out of three groups of people that smoked cannabis, tobacco, or both, that the group that smoked both cigarettes AND cannabis had virtually the same rate of cancer cases as those only smoking cannabis, suggesting strongly that cannbis use protected the lungs. :unsure:

DanGrace

I've had similar experiences—sometimes a strain hits perfectly in a vape but falls flat in a joint, or vice versa. From what I've read, it's all about how the cannabinoids and terpenes react to heat. Vaping tends to extract flavors and effects more cleanly, while smoking involves combustion, which can alter the taste and effects. Personally, when I'm exploring new strains, I like to check out bongs online shop—they've got a good range to compare and find what works best for each method.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
while smoking involves combustion, which can alter the taste and effects.
the change in flavor as a joint turns into a roach is regrettable, which is largely responsible for my habit of smoking one-hit bowls...it's not just cannabis that is affected either, as my experience with better cigars shows me. about a third of the way in, a good cigar beginning to change flavor, and not for the better either. i'm thinking of cutting one into thirds to try to keep flavor where i want it longer. i had a health teacher (RIP, Bill) in school that i never saw without a cigar (well, not in school. we both bowled a LOT) but if he ever lit one, i never saw it. hmmm :unsure:

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Not going to argue with a non-medical professional but I'll let you in a little secret, just because something that contains carcinogens does not necessarily mean it actually causes cancer.

When you have studied lung anatomy and physiology as much as I have, treated literally thousands of patients with not only lung Ca but COPD as I have and spent _years_ reading and deciphering medical journals/studies, then maybe we can intelligently discuss this matter.

Until then, you might want to keep this in mind:

View attachment 19025805
Have a question for you.

Back Story: Smoked joints for right around 35 years. Recently switched to vaping with the Volcano(convection heating). I love it as the high is much stronger than smoking a joint and you use a 1/3 the amount of weed.
The reason for the switch was health reasons. Getting ready to turn 60 so thought it might be time to change some things up.

Few questions:
So dry vaping weed can cause COPD?

I have been coughing a lot more vaping compared to smoking. Does coughing have any relation to COPD?

My 87 yr old father has COPD, is it genetic? Whoops forgot to mention he was never a smoker.

I have had some good advice on vaping to prevent coughing and it does help some but still concerned. I want to make sure my choice to quit smoking was the right one.

CharlesU Farley

Have a question for you.

Back Story: Smoked joints for right around 35 years. Recently switched to vaping with the Volcano(convection heating). I love it as the high is much stronger than smoking a joint and you use a 1/3 the amount of weed.
The reason for the switch was health reasons. Getting ready to turn 60 so thought it might be time to change some things up.

Excellent decision!
Few questions:
So dry vaping weed can cause COPD?

With excessive consumption, which varies with individuals, yes. COPD is a broad characterization of the combination of chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Any type of dense vapor that you inhale into your lungs will be irritating and with chronic use will cause bronchitis. Since a vaporizer does not actually combust vegetal material and produce hydrocarbons, it is much, _much_ better for you.
I have been coughing a lot more vaping compared to smoking. Does coughing have any relation to COPD?
Yes, that's a direct effect of bronchitis, which is a irritation of the cells that line the main air channels into your lungs.

My 87 yr old father has COPD, is it genetic? Whoops forgot to mention he was never a smoker.

No, COPD is not genetic, it is almost entirely environmental, primarily from cigarette smoking and secondarily from environmental pollution. There is a rare condition called a Alpha One antitrypsin deficiency, where people have COPD, with a preponderance of emphysema symptoms, due to an enzyme deficiency. If you're familiar with the nym Subcool, that's what he had and died of.
I have had some good advice on vaping to prevent coughing and it does help some but still concerned. I want to make sure my choice to quit smoking was the right one.
Without a doubt, your choice to quit smoking was correct. Just when you're vaping, try to inhale and exhale normally and don't hold it for a long time (used to call 'em lung bulgers ;) ), as that doesn't do anything to increase the level of effect.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I know my breathing is a lot better vaping than combustion. However I am 60 and can see myself moving almost entirely to edible in the near future.

The other thing I've noticed vaping is that you can feel the difference in the high better with vaping, and the taste is much better.

CharlesU Farley

I know my breathing is a lot better vaping than combustion. However I am 60 and can see myself moving almost entirely to edible in the near future.

The other thing I've noticed vaping is that you can feel the difference in the high better with vaping, and the taste is much better.
All edibles, all the time has been my lifestyle for 6+ years now, and I've got almost a decade of life on ya. It is definitely different than smoking/vaping, at least for me. You don't get that immediate rush and obviously no taste/smell.

My wife Harley has tried 'em and they just doesn't work for her, she likes the rush of the high. With all edibles all the time, because of my endocannabinoid system being completely and totally saturated, it's more of just a constant, continual nice buzz.

It's still hard for me to believe I consume 28 g of cannabis... everyday, every week, every month, every year.

The best upside is my lungs have never been in better shape since I started smoking cannabis at 12 y/o and the fact that I don't smoke/vape no doubt saved my ass when I got a double whammy of COVID one month and Whooping Cough the next. ;)

hamstring

Veteran
I don't like brownies or silly chili or any other edible . Its a psychological thing for me. As a young man, before I new about decarboxylation, I just put it raw in the food. I'm sure the heat of cooking helped but I have OD several times on this.

My body wood say you must expel this and my mind had no say in this decision. I have had the same from eating hash mixed with refried beans, again no decarboxylation. I mean violent vomiting , and very embarrassing. We were at a Cubs game. I puked at the game, on the city bus, at a restaurant afterwards ( actually got thrown out).

On the good side of no decarboxylation, I used to put weed ( the old mexican brick stuff) in a coffee grinder and just add water and drink it, stoners metamucil. One night after doing this, and being pretty high that night, I woke up the next day had some coffee and toast and was soaring high again. Thats the only good memory I have.

Of course intellectually I understand the problem was not decarbing, but every time I eat something with weed in it I get the dry heaves.

I can eat the store bought gummies or even my own tinct, but thats a couple ML in a glass of orange juice. Still gives me a queezy feeling when going down

My problem with tinct is that its a full on ride with a 2-3ML dose of my home made tinct. It lasts several hrs and you are drunk stoned for a hr or so. The weird thing is if you cut the dose in half to say 1.5ML dose , its a real debbie downer . Not worth doing.

I couldn't find the happy medium that smoking provided until I started vaping.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
All edibles, all the time has been my lifestyle for 6+ years now, and I've got almost a decade of life on ya. It is definitely different than smoking/vaping, at least for me. You don't get that immediate rush and obviously no taste/smell.

My wife Harley has tried 'em and they just doesn't work for her, she likes the rush of the high. With all edibles all the time, because of my endocannabinoid system being completely and totally saturated, it's more of just a constant, continual nice buzz.

It's still hard for me to believe I consume 28 g of cannabis... everyday, every week, every month, every year.

The best upside is my lungs have never been in better shape since I started smoking cannabis at 12 y/o and the fact that I don't smoke/vape no doubt saved my ass when I got a double whammy of COVID one month and Whooping Cough the next. ;)
I get through anywhere from half a gram to two grams a day so my needs are much less.

I consume probably half as edible. I make my own oil blends, cobs, and eat plain decarbed bud as well. It was a revelation to find you can simply decarb and eat the buds without any further process. I also use CBDA oil on occasion and will blend raw leaves in my nutribullet which provides a really chill experience.

My wife still loves smoking despite having a lung scare recently. I'm trying to wean her onto edibles.

lp10731

I get through anywhere from half a gram to two grams a day so my needs are much less.

I consume probably half as edible. I make my own oil blends, cobs, and eat plain decarbed bud as well. It was a revelation to find you can simply decarb and eat the buds without any further process. I also use CBDA oil on occasion and will blend raw leaves in my nutribullet which provides a really chill experience.

My wife still loves smoking despite having a lung scare recently. I'm trying to wean her onto edibles.
Are you just using the AVB from vaporizers? If so, do you mix it with food?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
S
Are you just using the AVB from vaporizers? If so, do you mix it with food?
I don't use AVB for edibles but no reason you couldn't. Would be harder to work out a dose though as much of the THC has already been vaped.

I just decarb and weigh out the proportions.

Brother Nature

I add avb to my coconut oils when I make them for my mum, she uses it medically and doesn’t like the higher thc of the oils I make for myself. I’d usually do 3-4 oz of trim and smaller buds per 400ml of coconut oil for my own edibles, which can be quite strong depending on the strains used, but i use about 1.5 oz of proper cannabis then pad with the same amount of avb when making it for her. The avb still contains some of the active ingredients but a lot lower thc as it has been vaped, I’ve found it gives a significantly higher body relaxation feel to the edibles, less of a stone.

For smoking vs vaping, I’m coming around more to using my volcano as my main intake method, was a heavy bong smoker for years and found I needed to take long breaks from the bong as I get older, my lungs were taking a lot longer to recover from heavy sessions. The volcano took a bit of getting used to but I find the high tends to last longer but be less intense compared to smoking. I also use the one with the whip as I prefer the feel to the bags, sometimes I connect it to my bong, I find the bags. For a quick little uplifting high I still prefer a joint or bong, but for a proper get super high session I’ve been preferring the volcano.