What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

University of Sydney believe they have found a fourth species of cannabis.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both of these statements are not only true, they’re critical to our biggest story of the year, so far: the possible discovery of a new species of marijuana, reportedly found in Australia. Unfortunately, this was proven to be a hoax (by someone with a lot of time on their hands).

They went to press without fact checking anything? What a bunch of jokers.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Something just doesn't ring true with this article.

One plant? That in itself is unusual.

Must be a Rocket Scientist, if he/she doesn't know how to clone, and or reverse a female. Not a Botanist at any rate. lol

Heck, even a good gardener knows how to take a slip.....

vostok

Veteran
Its called Mongy Weed down here . AKA ABC- Australian Bastard Cannabis as named by Marc Emery who visited Oz and took Mongy seeds back to Canukistan .
Its from a region [Hunter Valley NSW] that had some of the original Hemp Crops from pioneering dayz .Story goes the British stopped off to collect Hemp seed in Sthn India ... Good Hemp in Kerala lol .

Prolly a sport [mutation . ] It only grows to about 30cm tall . And has low potency . When hybridised it reverts back to regular leaves .

Its held by a guy by the name of Mongy Man . Find him @ Oz Stoners forum .

Though the articles description sounds like something different again . Bush structure ? The mountains where it was found don`t get that cold . ie is doesn't snow there .Add to that the Blue Mountains sit at 33 deg Latitude Sth and its not that amazing .

So it is just click bait I`m afraid .

Nothing in Oz news re ??
So in conclusion .The article is a prolly load of rubbish .
Thanks for sharin
EB .

rItvtvi.jpg

Elmer^^^ is correct, I first heard of this 2-3 years ago, and was suspicious then, strange how the NSW university is allowed to study this weed, and yet it still be illegal? ...double standards even in 0z..?

Funny as there's no agreement among scientists that work in this area (Cannabis taxonomy) that there's even more than one species (let alone 3 or 4 species). I don't think I'll even bother to read the rest of the thread, after looking at the link in the first post.

BurnOutSeedCo

My thoughts... just another mutant. I'm inclined to think that all Cannabis is Cannabis sativa, just various varieties or subspecies. Mutations can be bred to breed true, but that doesn't make it a new species, even if that selection is done in the wild. I've heard of the mongy weed for quite some time now, I've never seen it though. I've heard that it was a mutation common to a wild stand found in Australia, and was kept and bred by a few people. Its really cool looking though, I'm a big fan of mutations.

Last edited:

barnyard

R.C. Clarke says Cannabis Ruderalis doesn't exist either, or at least currently doesn't....only Cannabis Sativa with auto-flowering tendencies.

Under a chemical taxonomy Sativa (hemp) is one category and everything else falls under the Indica category. People experience Durban Poison and Northern Lights quite differently but under chemical analysis the plants only show slight variations.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Australian Bastardized Cannabis

Thats what I told folks. no one listened.

Helps you sort out hte noobs and retards imo.

Also should be a friendly reminder high times is full of morons and is a useless part of our community.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sad it was a hoax, would of been so cool..

The specific plants are very real...

The hoax is in the terminology.

Species => "a naturally existing population of similar organisms that usually interbreed only among themselves, and are given a unique, latinized binomial name to distinguish them from all other organisms: see GENUS (sense 2).

Genus => one of the major taxonomic groups used to scientifically classify plants and animals: several closely related species, or one species, make up one genus, while several genera, or one genus, make up a family: the latinized genus name is capitalized and italicized, and proceedes the species name, which is italicized but not capitalized.

Make up your own mind what is what.
If Scientists can't agree on a classification, there's no real point in attempting to make sense of it.
What a waste of precious energy!

I am of the opinion that Cannabis is Cannabis & hemp is also Cannabis
The variations WLD, NLD, have been around for years. With all the inbreeding going on I feel these terms better classify this amazing plant. (Are fiber producers called WLF, NLF?)

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Sport?

Sport?

I know that herb in the pic . Its called Mongy Weed down here . AKA ABC- Australian Bastard Cannabis as named by Marc Emery who visited Oz and took Mongy seeds back to Canukistan .
Its from a region [Hunter Valley NSW] that had some of the original Hemp Crops from pioneering dayz .Story goes the British stopped off to collect Hemp seed in Sthn India ... Good Hemp in Kerala lol .

Prolly a sport [mutation . ] Though the articles description sounds like something different again . Bush structure ?
EB .

I remember sometime after the info on ABC appeared on the Cannabisculture website, a newbie grower from the UK (Jaimie?) posted a photo of a plant grown from seed (Haze x NL I believe) that had leaves exactly like the Mongy/ABC - it was a very bushy plant and the branches were very stringy/vine like.

One in a million sport most likely.:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts