What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

U.K cheese brightside cut ?

Terppalooza

XO šŸ§€ Day 51

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-201655.png
    Screenshot_20230131-201655.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 104

Terppalooza

shes a fast one then,crossing in the afghan is probably whats shaving a couple weeks off i'm guessing..how long do you tend to take this one bud? guy that gave me my cut tends to take her 10 weeks or more
i take my hazes to 60 days usualy. im not shure why trhey all so fast. i think its because i was hitting them heavy with the pk in week 2-3 lol

Terppalooza

And the cheese shes a newer cut in my satple got a her almost two years back, from a lad in london. She was growing a but wierd at the start so i never really put much love into her didnt even want to flower her cause the last cheese i had just wanst mine wierd musky nasty smell šŸ¤£. But i threw this one in the corner couple months back when i started seeing the clone grwoing much better here... And to my suprise this new cheese cut. Is definitely what i remember to be cheese she was soo tasty. I didnt pay attention much to how long she took. So this is the first time im putting real effort in. But she seems done a bit quicker then my hazes. But is still gowing some crown like forxtails right now day 57 šŸ«”

bimblebrains_1

i take my hazes to 60 days usualy. im not shure why trhey all so fast. i think its because i was hitting them heavy with the pk in week 2-3 lol
also i'm sure these led spectrums make the pistols turn quicker than hps,would you agree? i havent got any of my old cuts from the hps days now to know for sure but i'm sure shit just seems to finish a week or 2 sooner these days in general for me,i was thinking about it the other day actually,also you gotta really feed up your plants to keep up with the high ppfd from some of these panels

Last edited:

Terppalooza

also i'm sure these led spectrums make the pistols turn quicker than hps,would you agree? i havent got any of my old cuts from the hps days now to know for sure but i'm sure shit just seems to finish a week or 2 sooner these days in general for me,i was thinking about it the other day actually,also you gotta really feed up your plants to keep up with the high ppfd from some of these panels
could be, ive ran the early led models since i started, the blue pruple ones. so cant say much about how MH or HPS. but definitly seen the differewnces in veg between my cyan veg lamp and my 3500k veg lamps. the cyan ones are much more branchy. and the 3500k ones more apical dominant. the cheese in the pic is with alot of 660 red extra and some 450 blue. so that the red is not too much in.addition to 3500k base. but i cant really say if that makes them faster or slower. ive been thinking of trying MH tho, been hearing alot of opinions xD

HazyDaze420

The cut i acquired 15 days in...i over looked that she really does need acclimatising to these intense led spectrums,being as shes been in a shed for 11 years under t5 and hps,she needs to adjust.
I've had her directly under a 200w lumatek,about 16 inches above which is a tad higher than i usually would hang it and she has become crazy hungry,caught me off guard tbh..way too much ppfd and she has been trying to compensate,so i've fed her up a bit and raised the light considerably ...school boy error doh

View attachment 18802143

Here's another cut i had kicking about that didnt become a mum as was a tad whispy,at about 4 or 5 days in...Feeding her up a bit more than the one above and got her way further from the lights,needs thinning out again now shes flowering..hell this cut needs constantly thinning out ,she's an absolute clone machine how she branches but, with that in turn comes a hell of a lot of defoliation required,damn shes vigorous for such an old lady tho......oh and the cuts pictured have not been topped at all,its just how she grows naturally,very unique

View attachment 18802144 View attachment 18802145

cheers bimble
Any updates/pics on how this is going bud? :)

bimblebrains_1

Any updates/pics on how this is going bud? :)
She's still going and at about the 6 week mark now..never recovered or caught up with the feeding that she lacked in week 3 after being too close to the led really,so she looks like shit all faded and has what looks to be bad mg def,really is an eye sore,embarrasingly so...the tiny little cut a couple weeks behind doesnt look much better either lol...its a hell of shock my environment as shes been in nft on salts under hps for over a decade or more,thats the excuse i'm using haha...
Very resinous and fucking stinks tho so thats a good sign,the profile is that super sharp chemical dettol antiseptic cleaner smell..but yer this cut defo needs so be fed on salts,prob be a beast in coco,she's one hungry bitch

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Being from the states and Iā€™ve never tried anything from any of the famous Cheese cuts, Iā€™m a little confused. Some old heads who used to have a cut and grew them out for years are now putting it down, saying in this thread that it makes you depressed, it was like crack and you couldnā€™t stop smokng it. They also said there is a reason a lot of the old heads let those cuts go. Pretty much saying itā€™s not worth it, forget about it.
Then others say they wish they could get a good cut, they really miss it and would love to have it again. So should I forget about trying to find crosses with these Cheese cuts in them?
Try my Exodus Valley if you want a real Cheese hybrid

GoatCheese

Veteran
She's still going and at about the 6 week mark now..never recovered or caught up with the feeding that she lacked in week 3 after being too close to the led really,so she looks like shit all faded and has what looks to be bad mg def,really is an eye sore,embarrasingly so...the tiny little cut a couple weeks behind doesnt look much better either lol...its a hell of shock my environment as shes been in nft on salts under hps for over a decade or more,thats the excuse i'm using haha...
Very resinous and fucking stinks tho so thats a good sign,the profile is that super sharp chemical dettol antiseptic cleaner smell..but yer this cut defo needs so be fed on salts,prob be a beast in coco,she's one hungry bitch
Skunk1 genetics from Nevilā€™s parents seem to be very sensitive to leds, so you need to get close to the optimal environment for led growing for SK1 stuff to do well.

Also, if you grow in soil you canā€™t keep your leds as close to your plants - and/or use as much watts -as you can when you grow in coco/hydro, because in soil the plant tissue will dehydrate more easily. In hydro plants there is more moisture in the tissue so they can handle leds much better.

One thing you can do is that you turn your circulating fan(s) away from your plants, cause direct air blowing on your plants will make the dehydration issue worse.

If you struggle to get your temps and humidity close to the right levels for led growing, you can use a timer on your exhaust. During winter up here in N Europe i have my exhaust ON for 10-12 minutes every 90 mins in my small tentā€“ but i have a circulating fan ON all the time during lights on, and i have it blowing at my cobs not at my plants

BuckeyeGreen

Skunk1 genetics from Nevilā€™s parents seem to be very sensitive to leds, so you need to get close to the optimal environment for led growing for SK1 stuff to do well.

Also, if you grow in soil you canā€™t keep your leds as close to your plants - and/or use as much watts -as you can when you grow in coco/hydro, because in soil the plant tissue will dehydrate more easily. In hydro plants there is more moisture in the tissue so they can handle leds much better.

One thing you can do is that you turn your circulating fan(s) away from your plants, cause direct air blowing on your plants will make the dehydration issue worse.

If you struggle to get your temps and humidity close to the right levels for led growing, you can use a timer on your exhaust. During winter up here in N Europe i have my exhaust ON for 10-12 minutes every 90 mins in my small tentā€“ but i have a circulating fan ON all the time during lights on, and i have it blowing at my cobs not at my plants
Thanks for all of the helpful info.šŸ‘

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
Ive been going back through some old threads.
Sub got it from Ob, Ob got it from "white trash redneck"(i think)
Sub smoked it with Pistils while visiting the UK.

June 1, 2008
Cheese

I was kinda waiting till this came out in Skunk

Here is the preview :)

The Cheese
By Subcool
I first heard of this famous UK strain on the web site Breedbay. Seems it is all the rage in the UK among indoor growers. The general take among these growers was it was just about the best strain around there parts. Now my first thoughts were it was just another stinky cutting similar to many I have grown. But as I spoke to more and more growers from the UK I began to realize, maybe it was really special and unique after all! In the summer of 2007 I traveled to the Birmingham in the UK. The trip was pretty normal over all but when I landed in Gatwick Airport, the customs line was 12 rows wide and people were moving very slow, it took a full 2 hours to just clear the gate and make my way to baggage pick up. I always look for Bob as hes the taller of my two English buddies and I soon spotted both him and Pistils with huge Cheshire cat grins.

We make our way to the parking area and we head to the Blue zone where they had parked. The first thing I saw that proved people are totally alike everywhere was us not having a clue where the car was in the garage, sound familiar? We do this shit at home about 3 times a monthwhere the fuck did we park?
Pistils, Bob and I spent a week there seeing the sites meeting other growers and being treated basically like a King by these awesome people. They showed me many cool things about their area and it wasnt long after landed the subject of cheese came up. So after a small walkabout we locate the ride and pile in. Bob hands me a Hemp Bong bag and Pistils a Stash Jar. Inside the bag was a Roor Bong with all the parts and a glass screen, inside the Jar was 4-6 Large JTR nugs cured to perfection grown by a friend of Pistils and just a killer sample. I felt like I was home with a brand new bong! Now riding with Bob is like going to the fair and riding a fast ride. Hes a trained ambulance driver and he fucking hauls ass! We were hitting 120 easy in places as I sat in the back seat smoking bingers out of the Roor, it wasnt till later that I found out the zooming is just as big a fine as here and they dont do bingers in cars, I have never been good at the following the rules thing.Thanks for making me feel like the King of Ganja guys. When you travel you always learn great new words. Now no one I met was nothing but nice but just like stateside the people around you can be annoying. The guy in front or your car going slow that wont get outa the way, The cook that drops his hair on ya food it truly was just like home but as we would call someone in our way an asshat ,Pistils shouts Move ya Cheeky Wankers, a more severe term is Knobhead and just cracked me up.

Lovely jubbley is a phase thats means Kick ass!

Mashed is stoned

No bongs Spliffs are the toke of the day

I absolutely smoked Cheese as everyone I met seemed to have a stash of this bud. I loved the fruity flavor and great head rush it is apparently really fucking good cause I smoked the stuff for 4 days and never took a picture of a bud. I forgot my cam battery BTW and we spent 3 hours driving to every store in Birmingham looking for a d-80 battery but we only incurred Knobheads and Wankers yet again.

I felt that we probably have similar strains already here in the US. Cheese isn't cheese like its just funky its similar to Tiny Bomb or a Funky fruity C99 but it also has a exotic spice undertone and a warm buttery toke. The exhale is spicy and smooth I smoked the same cut grown by many people and many ways and the flavor and strong smell was always there.
Lovely Jubbley!

This summer a friend, Obsoul33te from Northern California came to visit us. We spent a day swapping stories sharing bud and bubble and traded a few cuttings. He had some really nice gear in his stash but of all the stuff he offered the one I was interested in the most was Cheese. OB has some really good connections and if anyone has a real cutting of something it is him. The cutting was accompanied by some really large and dense buds that were grown outdoors and I must say my first impression was it was the same weird smell I remember from my trip, but these buds were huge compared to the buds I saw in England. Sunshine is much different than indoor lighting and some strains blow up under Gods light.

I planted the Cheese cutting in a 6 container and placed her in my vegging room under a 1000 watt Hortilux Blue Metal halide Bulb. These very expensive bulbs are designed to have enhanced Blue spectrum and I notice they produce shorter plants with thick stalks. I topped the Cheese cutting early to form multiple heads and continued to grow her under 18 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness until she formed a large dense bush.
She grew very similar to our Apollo-13 mother plant, mainly growing sideways and having very thin vine like stems. I supported her well with bamboo stakes and wire twist ties to keep the main buds from sagging below the canopy. She was a very squat plant and needed additional height to compete with some of my taller plants so she was placed on top of some bricks to even things out. Even still in veg you could smell her if you moved her or brushed up against the plant. A slightly rotting smell not quite Cheese but I understand why it got the name. At this early stage she reminded me or Port Wine Cheese spread.

The plant started to really fill out with buds by day 30 and my bud room took on a smell I had never encountered before. I was also running a new cutting of AK-47 that, combined with the funk of Cheese was overwhelming at times. It had a slightly Cherry smell but also a flat beer or garbage can smell that was gross and attractive at the same time. As the plant matured past day 45 I was worried I would not like the strain at all as it took on the smell of spoiled Vomit and fruit I could not imagine anything good coming from those smells.

By day 50 the rotting smell took a back seat to an astringent cleaning fruit smell if you actually smelled a bud but the odor it gave off in the room was a funky fruit/cheese smell.
I was having a hard time deciding when to harvest the plant as most of the pistils were shriveling up but many were still white in color so I contacted some UK growers and they informed me I was looking at 56 days for maximum flavor and smoothness so thats the day I harvested her. The plant may not have looked huge but as a whole it had a tremendous number of bud sites and each nugget was hard and filled out completely. I could not help but notice a hanger of Cheese colas weighed as much as the huge hanger of AK buds harvested the same day. There was just twice as many rock hard buds on the Cheese hanger and it made up for the huge size of the AK-47.
I trimmed each bud well to collect as much sugar leaf as possible to make some Cheese bubblehash later. I was able to fill 4 clothes hangers with buds from the one plant and since it roots so easy I already have another Cheese plant 36 tall to place in the bud room.

We allowed the buds to hang and dry completely in 7 days and then I removed them from the stem and placed into a aluminum trey to finish air drying. When the stem was crunchy I placed the buds in an open jar and into my stash cabinet. After a few days I placed a lid on and we waited for these already incredibly pungent buds to cure for several weeks. This will allow us to do a proper judging as Cured Bud is the best tasting and has a better high.

We waited 2 weeks before opening the jar again and the smell is really amazing. It is also very hard to describe. Slightly fruity with a complex astringent or some type of disinfecting cleaner, the cheese smell only occurs when smelling it from a distance or in bulk. When you actually shove a bud under your nose and sniff the smell is much more than just Cheesy! The sample bud is crunchy and crisp with just a slight pliability that tells me the dry is perfect. A clean Bong with Ice of course is standing at the ready as I place a small pile into the glass bowl.

I thought once I actually grew out this cut and sampled it it would be just another over hyped strain but I was completely WRONG! The first thing that gets your attention is bud quality, each nuglet is hard and dense and just emitting a strong antiseptic smell combined with the strong smell of DANK. I find even as a Cannabis Journalist describing the taste and smell f Cheese is quite the challenge. I shove my face into a jar of perfectly cured bud as I type trying to come up with a description and I find it just impossible. Good, strong, dank, thick herbal smell and it just overwhelms the senses and makes you happy. You can keep smelling it all day and its extremely appealing to the pallet. Cheese is very frosty with resin but the trichome heads are fairly small and when I made Bubblehash the yield was medium but again the quality is outstanding and the Full melt hash has that same incredible taste. I am hoping Mamakind can help me with a description of the smell and taste. The buzz comes on strong and fast and my patients report instant pain relief from just a few tokes. I find the buzz happy and comforting but not overwhelming again making it weed you can smoke bowl after bowl of. I have a high tolerance so its probably stronger than I can tell. Overall it has quickly become one of our favorite smokes. She is very easy to grow and clone and only needs some bud support to prevent her ample buds from falling over late in bloom.

Many strains that are sought after never measure up to the hype surrounding them but this is one bud we will be smoking for a long time to come. Lovely Jubbley.

Subcool

shishkaboy

>>>>Beanie Man<<<<
...and the guy that started it all

The true origin of UK Cheese

I recently went on holiday to the Canary Islands, a friend of mine gave me a copy of Weed World magazine to read while I was there (issue 56). To my surprise, was the article by Big Buddha Cheese? On reading this I decide to tell the story from the beginning.

Back in the late 80ā€™s early 90ā€™s, a friend-of-a-friend of mine came back from the Sensi Seed Bank in Amsterdam with some seeds.

Most of the plants were males but 4 of them were girls ā€“ 3 of the 4 were wankers and one was kind of OK. This plant was cloned and passed on to 3 or 4 different people who grew it alongside some Northern Lights and Silver Pearl plants in their well built grow rooms.

I am 45 years old now and have been growing my own weed for about 25 years, 10 of them outside in the wild.

My best friend and I decided that we would build ourselves our own grow rooms but didnā€™t see the need for getting too technical so, we made them out of anything we could lay our hands on ā€“ we called them ā€œorange cratesā€ coz thatā€™s what they looked like.

As for lighting, we went on a commando raid to a local disused cement factory and helped ourselves to some Sodium and Metal Halide 400ā€™s. We made our own shades from some aluminium sheeting from a local scrap yard.

Now all we needed was some nice cuttings. I managed to get some N/L and S/P plants and also one of the Skunks. Most of the other growers concentrated on the N/L and S/P because they are good all rounders.

I think one of the Skunks went to Crewe and another to Cornwall. I quite liked the Skunk so I kept it going. Now over the next 7 or 8 years of constant cloning, the Skunk started changing ā€“ donā€™t know why ā€“ it just did. It started to get really smelly ā€“ I mean really stink. The smell would get everywhere and I was often creosoting the fence to try and mask the smell (a little tip there for Cheese farmers, creosote or burnt toast). Cropping was a nightmare and I wouldnā€™t even go out because people would often say ā€œyou stinkā€.

I was giving some of this weed to my close friends and they all loved it and, as the taste was changing it seemed the strength was too. This weed had become so strong and so smelly that it reminded me of something I had smelt before, but I couldnā€™t think what it was. Then one day the penny dropped.

When I was 17 or 18 and living at home with my parents, I would go out a lot with a friend who worked in a food essence factory. Some days I would see him and he would stink of all different kind of things: fish, beef, vanilla etc. He would bring me small test tubes of concentrated liquids home and use them in my fishing bait (the carp loved the vanilla). One day he put one under my nose and said ā€œsmell this one, its called blue cheese, and itā€™s a real mingerā€.

This was the smell I had been trying to remember. The weed smelt just like it and so she was born. I gave the weed the name ā€œCheeseā€.

The only cuttings I let out were to people who were incapable of doing their own cloning and only wanted a plant for their own garden in the summer months.

Another close friend of mine, known as ā€œOf the Hillā€, came to me one day and asked me if I would do him 21 cuttings as he was building a big lab for the Exodus people in Luton. I was a bit unsure of this as I didnā€™t know ay of these people but, I did it for him because he is a good egg and has dug me out of plenty of holes over the years. Anyway, off he went with his cuttings and I didnā€™t here too much more about it, other than a good harvest festival was had.

ā€œOf the Hillā€ arranged for a cutting to make itā€™s way to a coffee shop in Amsterdam in 2003 (Home Grown Fantasy). It was cloned and put on the menu as ā€˜Cheeseā€™ and went on to claim 3rd place in the cannabis cup in 2004.

I recently met an American at a Hawkwind gig in London who had heard of the Cheese in Washington. He had come to the UK to see Hawkwind and smoke Cheese. His face lit up when I pulled a big fat Cheese straw out of my pocket!

Itā€™s kind of annoying really ā€“ I wish I could have put a patent on the word ā€œCheeseā€ in the context of marijuana but, itā€™s kind of difficult when things are illegal.

All over the place now I hear people calling all sorts of weed ā€œCheeseā€ and I say to them ā€œno mate, this is Cheeseā€.

As for Mr Big Buddha? I have plenty of respect for him, but the Cheese is not yours no matter what you call it and, as for crossing her? She does need help ā€“over the years she has started to show signs of stress.

Growers will notice that some plants get brown spotty leaves during growing & flowering that results I leaf drop. I donā€™t know what the cause is, itā€™s not the soil, the water, the food, or the air quality (possibly a virus of some kind), so I suppose a cross of some kind to introduce some new vigour to her would be a good thing so, like I said, respect to Big Buddha for trying.

So for nearly 14 years, the Cheese was living at only a couple of places but now it seems to be everywhere for people to enjoy.

I donā€™t know what she has become ā€“ some sort of mutant freak, but she sure hits the spot and everyone who smokes her loves her to pieces.

So there you have it ā€“ the truth about the origin of Cheese. You can all rejoice that I kept her going for all these years and now you all know how it came about its name.

In the grand scheme of things itā€™s not very much, but I wanted to set the record straight.

Wing Commander Blue

WeedWorld Magazine

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts