What's new

Tricks for spotting males when small??

where are the seedlings
?do you have pics?post them that would be perfect for a thread like this.ill try and have mine posted up later today.i have 3 plants at 4 to 5 weeks from seed dont know the strain.ill be back with pics i hope

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i'll have to get out my tripod and shit. i'll think about it lol. i just smoked a bong and i'm about to smoke another.

BadRabbit

lets test that. i happen to have a few seedlings here.

on all 3 i do see what appears to be a preflower by the time they have 7 nodes so that part is valid.

but they're just the beginnings of what could be a preflower or just branching. even with a loupe i can't tell the sex. gonna be at least another week before i can tell a sex. and by now they would have shown sex anyway. i'm on week 5-6 from seed.

but what you say has weight.

yeh, exactly .... as long as the plant has vegged 5 weeks, sex will show within a few days of going 12/12. There are perhaps reasons that people want to veg out a seedling longer ... but I never need to do that.

BadRabbit

where are the seedlings
?do you have pics?post them that would be perfect for a thread like this.ill try and have mine posted up later today.i have 3 plants at 4 to 5 weeks from seed dont know the strain.ill be back with pics i hope

gene: upload your photo at tinypic.com and then grab the code for posting in forums.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

here's the plants. you can see the preflowers. but it's too early to tell what you're looking at. or if they're not just branches forming. need another week maybe.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like female parts to me, not branches. And if it was male it would have a little stem looking part with a "head" on the tip.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
it's too early for that part. the pistil pops out on a female first before the male starts developing the stem. no pistil, no stem. could go either way. they all look like maybe female parts, but one has stripes on it like a male flower. too early. i wouldn't make any decision here.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i didn't say there was a pistil there, but it looks like its the pistillate calyx before a pistil comes out.

the male preflower looks more like a round ball on a stick. like this..

male-pre-flower-marijunana.jpg

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
Its 90% in the seed.. 10% in the enviroment..IMO Now I have herd of guys looking at the cavity side of the seed.And have tried this and it does seem to work but i have not tried it often enough or marked containers enough as I not really a seed man.I will see if i can find the pics that go along with this somewhere.And the mumbo jumbo of literature that went with it..Cheers

tbh ive read that before and its got no scientific reasoning for it at all. sex is defined within the genetics inside the seed. how its shell forms is dependant on input from the mother, not from the genetics within it. id seriously doubt it unless scientifically proven.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
oh i get ya. i knew what a male flower looks like, i was just saying that part comes later. before that it just looks like it might be a new leaf. i'll know in a few days when a either pistil pokes out, or it grows a stem.

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
First pics a girl last two are male, that's what I'd think on those three pics but at that point I still let em ride to see anyway 100% of the time cause there are always exception

BadRabbit

oh i get ya. i knew what a male flower looks like, i was just saying that part comes later. before that it just looks like it might be a new leaf. i'll know in a few days when a either pistil pokes out, or it grows a stem.

Agree, that's typical ... I think everyone's saying the same thing here, the stem or the pistil are the only true give aways.

Critter

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe that was dis-proven as already suggested

i think the shape of the seed base has to do with variety weather its hemp or a drug variety.there was another thread on here talkin about that

so i was gonna post sum pics of male plants with no swollen nodes and some females from seed with swollen nodes but i cannot get a good enough pic and even when i do i cant post them tiny pic is a joke it dont work.how the fuck do ya'll post pic?i could puit so much cool shit up on here but instead i gotta come of like i juyst talk a big gam,e.ugh well at least the folks who live near me can give me props and can see what i do.

Critter

ICMag Donor
Veteran
upload your pic to a album then click it to see the picture big then right click and select "copy image url" then when posting click the little picture "insert image" box and paste the copied url. Thats one way there are a few others

ill keep trying thank you for the advice.i didnt mean to sound mad im just frustrated that im so technologically illiterate

Scrappy-doo

Veteran
I've heard that advice before, including from living legends like shanti. So I respect the idea, but I've always thought this was for greenhouse or outdoor where you might be vegging for long times.

But it doesn't make sense to me for typical indoor growing w/short veg times .... to let a seedling get big enough to cut a clone, I'm thinking at least 3 weeks for fast growing plants, 4 weeks or more for others. It takes, typically, another 10 days to 2 weeks for that clone to pop the roots that would required before flowering it under 12/12. It then would take at least another week or two to clearly sex that clone ... I'm guessing even more.

So by the time I've cut, rooted, sexed a clone off the original seed plant, it's at a bare minimum 6 weeks, more likely 8 - 10. But by that time, I could have just flowered the seed plant and determined sex within a week or two ... at that point, I'm taking clones for future grow from a known female, it took me less time to determine sex.

So what am I misunderstanding? Seems to me like flowering out the seed plant and cutting a clone when it is a known female is faster and more efficient and much better suited to indoor grows where veg periods are rather short. But, school me if I'm missing something important ...

best
You don't need to root it. Just take a snip and put it in a cup of water in the flower room. It'll show its sex in about a week.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ill keep trying thank you for the advice.i didnt mean to sound mad im just frustrated that im so technologically illiterate

first open your picture in some software that you can re-size it in, most viewers even let you do that.

re-size to 1200 x 1200 pixels
save to desktop or folder on desktop that is easy to find.
go to your pictures and albums on ICmag.
in your case click create new album; add title.
once in that album click Upload images
Click on browse; select the folder you saved it in
then click Upload pictures on bottom; wait a min.
pictures show up in album, click on one.
select BB Code; select all and copy that line.
then paste it in post/reply. should be done!

the code looks like this without the spaces (or else i would of posted the picture)
picture.php

hope it works for you, and i don't think you should only post pictures for props. It's fun to share and it spreads knowledge.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Latest posts