What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

top of the heap to third world status in one generation

Gry

Veteran
do they want Texas back? fuck, give it to them...wait, i want to keep Austin.
In the late fifties my grandfather retired to a place called redfish landing, later called Port Mansfield.
Shallow lagoon between the shore and Padre Island ten miles offshore.
Water was so pristine that it was unreal. Found seahorses in it all the time.
Used to be able to get shrimp, crab, red fish, flounder, about anything you could want
as easily as could be. Padre Island was nothing but dunes. Around 63 the guy who lived
next door bought one of the jeeps out of the back of a comic book and put it together
and took it over to the island on an air boat.
That was where I learned to drive.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
In the late fifties my grandfather retired to a place called redfish landing, later called Port Mansfield.
Shallow lagoon between the shore and Padre Island ten miles offshore.
Water was so pristine that it was unreal. Found seahorses in it all the time.
Used to be able to get shrimp, crab, red fish, flounder, about anything you could want
as easily as could be. Padre Island was nothing but dunes. Around 63 the guy who lived
next door bought one of the jeeps out of the back of a comic book and put it together
and took it over to the island on an air boat.
That was where I learned to drive.

yeah, i was a mite hasty giving back the whole state. maybe we could just swap out a bunch of the citizenry...😀

armedoldhippy

Veteran
But what would you do with Ted Cruz? Swap him for a pile of horse shit?

that would be a good deal! i could use some fertilizer for my yard. doubt you could find a Mexican that would do that trade, though...although some in this country think Hispanics are inferior (for some unknown reason) i don't think they are stupid. actually, i would feel sorta guilty if i found someone willing to swap, unless they wanted a butler.

h.h.

Veteran
The Bomb Didn’t Beat Japan … Stalin Did
Have decades of nuclear policy been based on a lie?
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/t...=pocket-newtab

First we can’t compare the Japanese mindset to the west .
The bomb would have been developed anyway. Different societies were developing the same science. That we got there first was a matter of luck. By using it, we showed that we had it along with the capability to do much more damage much more quickly.
The bomb is why we play kiss ass to North Korea. It does have its significance. It is a game changer.
Japan may have surrendered anyway but how would it be enforced? The bomb was a major deterrent from returning to the war.
There was nothing ever good about it. It just was. We were just first.

Gry

Veteran
First we can’t compare the Japanese mindset to the west .
The bomb would have been developed anyway. Different societies were developing the same science. That we got there first was a matter of luck. By using it, we showed that we had it along with the capability to do much more damage much more quickly.
The bomb is why we play kiss ass to North Korea. It does have its significance. It is a game changer.
Japan may have surrendered anyway but how would it be enforced? The bomb was a major deterrent from returning to the war.
There was nothing ever good about it. It just was. We were just first.

What an interesting comment. It is my belief that prior to the use of the damned things, they represented
the single greatest theft of resources and the single largest source of pollution ever produced absent any
popular decision or vote in what was once described as a representative democracy.
The decision to embrace the technology was a moral atrocity.

I believe we live in a society were the concept of morality seems to have lost a great deal of significance.