What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Tom Hill Haze

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The tropics are definitely place specific and there are many micro-climates. I also posted a chart on this thread or elsewhere regarding how there are veritable subtropical zones within tropical zones, like Puerto Rico, where the climate is much cooler relative to other places like the ones you speak of. Colombia and Mexico, depending on the altitude or the valleys, might be hotter or much much cooler than Puerto Rico, for example. I think they are happiest in places where it rains, regardless of temps, although anything above 35 sure brings stress if it is constant throughout the summer and thus even if the plants thrive, they produce much less.
I'm not sure if you are familiar with a grower who used to post here, Kangativa. He grew some of the biggest sativa's I've seen in a very hot climate. I am quite familiar with the area he grew in and there are frequent days over 35C in that area. It is not a tropical climate but still very hot, almost sub tropical. Go a couple of thousand kms further North in the tropics and I have seen some very big plant pics (Wal's Laos for example).

Where I first grew we got frequent days of over 40C, record was 45C. Plants absolutely thrived provided you kept up the water.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I'm not sure if you are familiar with a grower who used to post here, Kangativa. He grew some of the biggest sativa's I've seen in a very hot climate. I am quite familiar with the area he grew in and there are frequent days over 35C in that area. It is not a tropical climate but still very hot, almost sub tropical. Go a couple of thousand kms further North in the tropics and I have seen some very big plant pics (Wal's Laos for example).

Where I first grew we got frequent days of over 40C, record was 45C. Plants absolutely thrived provided you kept up the water.
the key is keeping the soil cool ,, for root growth etc ,
mulching heavily , and good healthy soil keeps the plants happy despite the air temperature ..

Wolverine97

Veteran
mulching heavily , and good healthy soil keeps the plants happy despite the air temperature ..
Agreed. It's why my indoor fabric pots go directly on the concrete floor. I've even thought about jackhammering out holes to drop them into... but that would break my vapor barrier so I can't. I live in a high radon area.

Bona Fortuna

Veteran
Colorful stigmas just started to pop through.
4E3871E0-BF89-4B7A-9674-836142F71F9D.jpeg

D2B45F26-2FF4-4FEF-86CC-A642CDDDE7F4.jpeg

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran

>>>
IMG_0473.jpeg
IMG_0475.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg
IMG_0491.jpeg
IMG_0474.jpeg
IMG_0478.jpeg
IMG_0492.jpeg
IMG_0468.jpeg
IMG_0476.jpeg
IMG_0463.jpeg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Doesn't look like the Sticks I remember.
View attachment 19069018
looks more like how they tie up some boned and stuffed meats ,, lol ..
no one knows how to do selection there any longer,, the days of the quality they had ,
is for now non existent ,, though there may be a few stand outs , as a whole ,, doubtful ,
they need to be selecting for potency , over and over , as they did in the old days ...
the modern stuff wont hold a candle to the original ,
maybe never as the focus is on capital gains at the expense of quality and potency ...

Mimpi Manis

looks more like how they tie up some boned and stuffed meats ,, lol ..
no one knows how to do selection there any longer,, the days of the quality they had ,
is for now non existent ,, though there may be a few stand outs , as a whole ,, doubtful ,
they need to be selecting for potency , over and over , as they did in the old days ...
the modern stuff wont hold a candle to the original ,
maybe never as the focus is on capital gains at the expense of quality and potency ...
Christ, what a egregious pictorial beatup that image is! Can you imagine all the village ladies pissing around for weeks/months on end tying sticks up like that? Laughable.

I often refer in the environmental field to something I label 'historical amnesia'. Each generation inherits a new version of 'normal'. Which is to say a new level of ecological poverty. And on it goes. I suspect the same applies to the Thai Sticks and (other SE asian strains) you and I remember so vividly. The US war on drugs was almost wholly responsible for the loss of these long selected for genetic masterpieces. Most current users have no idea what a benchmark it was. Sadly, I wonder finding any of those lines again is like trying to re engineer the Thylacine? Especially given the sheer level of eye watering ignorance at play in the space these days. I shakes me head.

Last edited:

Cannabrainer

These are two different arguments. You state that sativas (not hybrids, with a lot of sativa in it I suppose) do really well or did really for him in hot and dry climates. I state that, for pure or nearly pure tropical sativas, even if plants may thrive in those climates, they simply do not do as well, and that such climate affects yield and, I add now, produce other profiles (possibly terpenes and overall flavor).

It is a touchy subject all across the board in agriculture, not just cannabis, specially if you are from the mediterranean or similar climates and are in denial of these realities. What people may be missing from my comment is that my starting point is the ideal climate for it, not if it can do well or if it does well in other climates. Surely you both may have better overall growing skills than me and even more at these non tropical climates, since I am not from these climates. Im not arguing that.

Let me give you an example that is not related to cannabis and that may be better understood. My inlaws never bought ecuadorian bananas, which are the ones imported in Spain from elsewhere because, well, nationalism and internal marketing drove them to think that Canarian grown bananas were BETTER or at least equally as good. The first time I tried one, I was polite. They werent bad, they were ok, but they were not really close to being very good or as great as a banana from by backyard in Puerto Rico.

We love food. We are all foodies. There was this one time that we were watching a documentary on Ferrán Adriá and his Nouvelle Catalan Cousine. Ferran was asked about the products that he imported given that almost virtually all of his dishes were made with local produce. He said that he imported bananas from Ecuador because they were simply the best. They were disappointed and there is a dose of influence of what they have been used to and of nationalism in their disappointment to Ferran Adriá’s preference of ecuadorian bananas over canarian bananas. Years later, on the eve of our wedding, which was celebrated in Castille but they flew over to Puerto Rico to meet my parents (a really funny situation, but it went well although as always a bit awkard).

One day, they tried the mangos and bananas and could not help themselves (I never asked) but admit what I already knew. They straight up told me that the mangoes from Málaga and the Bananas from Canarias were not as good and that these were so much sweeter and softer in texture. That is what I had noticed about the tropical produce grown in Spain, even in Canarias, that it wasnt somehow complete and Im not talking about maturity, but about flavor and texture. Anyone who has gone to Canarias can witness the lengths through which they have to go to protect the crops from the heat and the desert like climate by putting nets all over the fields, effectively giving it shade and humidity.

So, again, my dear friends, all I am saying is that it is not the ideal climate for pure tropical sativas or nearly pure tropical sativas because it is not the tropics. Kudos to you all who can manage to harvest a great product in a non ideal climate. Hey, a bad grower in the tropics can also turn a lesser product than great growers like you in hot and dry climates, so all of this reflects the skills that you have got.

Best of vibez,
Cannabrainer

Cannabrainer

I think he is falling into a different argument. I do not state that it cant be done or that they cant even thrive, but that it is simply not the ideal climate and that there are qualitative differences in the end product. I suspect the member is from a mediterranean like climate. My inlaws are spaniards and had a roguh time admitting that the bananas from Canarias and the Mangoes from Málaga were not as good as they said they were when I basically told them they had to try one from a true tropical place. When they flew to Puerto Rico and tasted them there, they basically flipped out. So these are two different arguments.

Latest posts

Latest posts