What's new

thinking of new harley

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thinking bout buying another harley today. been without since april, longest stretch without a hog since 1987, other than my 9 months in iraq. goin crazy without. and lets just say ive got a SERIOUS hookup. just got offered a $32,000 tricked out 08 police model flhr for low 20's, 0% interest. or i can just build my own with the same deal. wasnt quite ready financially, but new job is working out well. what to do what to do......sub

W

Whatever

The economy is in the crapper, unemployment rate still rising, in Cali housing prices still falling...especially SoCal, more banks will fail soon. I'm sure there's some great deals on toys people are gonna wanna get rid of. Should be a great time to pick stuff up on the cheap.

Honestly...if not ready financially why push it?

EDIT...I recently read a record 9% of all mortgages are either in foreclosure or the peeps are behind...which is mainly in Cali then Texas. We haven't seen the worst yet. It's your call bro...personally I hate debt cause I have to work just to maintain it.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
FLUB- ya i ride hard. spent over a decade on dynas, but with my back i have had to move up to the baggers. keep in mind the flhpi is the roadking version, not the full bagger. lower it a little. my last road king handles like a dream, even with my apes.
---whatever-waddup bro? hope all is well up there. the deal i am being offered is too good to pass up, ready or not. couple minor lifestyle changes and it should be no sweat. kinda got blindsided this morning with the offer. and actually the main reason i have not been riding as much this past year was my back. my last mri showed massive improvement(like i needed an mri to tell me that lol)----as an aside, i just started another J1 in the flower chamber bro-got about a bowl of the first go round left!

W

Whatever

subrob said:
the deal i am being offered is too good to pass up, ready or not
You know what's up and sounds like a done deal...enjoy the ride!

G

Buy Suzuki, fuck harley's....I mean, hardleys....

1930's engineering? For 20k? :(

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
AprilFOOL said:
Buy Suzuki, fuck harley's....I mean, hardleys....

1930's engineering? For 20k? :(

Kinda funny you still see 50 year old Harleys on the streets...but you are hard pressed to find a 10 year old rice-burner that runs-- :bashhead:

thinman

hey subrob, i sincerely hope you enjoy your new bike and have lots of safe rides with it. i was always a big harley fan and have owned two: xlch and fxr. like i said, i was always deep into harleys. however, they like to raise the flag and muster support from patriotic folks...."buy american" and all that.

i bought my fxr in 91 and had to wait 7 months for delivery after making a $1000 deposit. for being so american and flag waving, i was deeply hurt and offended to learn back then that while i was waiting for my bike to be shipped, harley-davidson had been shipping bikes all around the world. they sure didn't take care of this american. on top of that, the dealer i bought my bike from seemed like they didn't even want to know me any longer after my bike arrived.

in my humble opinion, which i will hold for the remainder of my life, harley-davidson does not deserve any more of my money. i could not in good faith recommend a harley to anyone. "harley, harley...ride the best......ride a mile and walk the rest"....

but i really do hope you get what you want and ride safe....don't want to seem negative in your thread, but harley-davidson did it...they shaped my opinion. if i ever decide to ride again, i would try anything other than a harley...now that their V-twin design is no longer protected i see lots of choices available.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
aprilfool-ya still hear alot of that, and if i were still able to ride sportbikes, the gxer would def. be near the top of my list. but trust me, the technology has changed.
---kmk- i love seeing the classics out on the road, but i am over anything pre twin cam nowadays! lol.
--thinman-i remember those days too. where i was at at the time(in alaska) we had to pay a minimum of of 40% of the out the door price, wait for 10 to 12 months, and didnt even get to choose the color! and you are right, the dealers didnt care so much about the customer because they could sell each of those bikes 5 times over each year. supply and demand was in the favor of them! i hope if you still have a love of the harleys, you might consider coming back to the family. too bad they dont have fxr's anymore huh?
---thanks for input everyone. i decided not too get the one already customized on the floor, but im buying same model and customizing myself. might get ballsy and put up pics when paint and customization is finished.....sub

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
kmk420kali said:
Kinda funny you still see 50 year old Harleys on the streets...but you are hard pressed to find a 10 year old rice-burner that runs-- :bashhead:
open your eyes, they are everywhere, an average jap bike can easily go 100k without a rebuild, try that with an oil dripper

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pseudo said:
open your eyes, they are everywhere, an average jap bike can easily go 100k without a rebuild, try that with an oil dripper

happens all the time. nowadays.

Z

zoolander

Yeah I have the 06 Heritage soft tail deluxe that is sweet , you only live once my friend so if life goes to shit atleast ya went for it .

C

Chamba

those big ol soft lard assed Harleys for $20,000 or $30,000 are not for me!.......but if you like mobile homes, then go for it

I'd get me a Sportster, stripped back to basics, matt black with no frills, bells or whistles....now that's a motor cycle!......and they new for half the cost of one of those rolly polley fat ones

but whatever you buy, shop around, with the economy the way it is now and m/c sales are way down, the dealers are offering great deals on a new one.....and so you'd be mad to buy a high priced used one, get a new bike without the extras and add them later yourself.....or offer them $15 grand for it

Last edited:

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In MN you can walk into ANY H-D dealership & buy new off the floor for less than the msrp, meaning my Softail Cross Bones is lookin' good @ 16K, maybe less.

I'd think about buying new w/warranty & still have some jing left over to do Daytona in style come March.......

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Pseudo said:

Ok....

2009-harley-davidson-VRSCF-v-rod-muscle1.jpg

cannabudz

Either Rice burner or Harley, will do the job.. but how much do you pay, to slide across the pavement is the real question..

Yes i have slid across the pavement plenty-o-time.. (three).. I wont ride again,, I dont need that pain anymore.. Wait,, i'll have this pain for the rest of my life..:(

Fuck motorcycles.. good on the gas, bad on the skin.
and imho,, Harley's are overrated, unless your a H.A. and its part of your "jib".
I'm a crotch rocket fan, and 99.9 of my friends and their parents ride Harley's.. and they have theirs in the shop constantly getting the cylinders worked on, or the carbs etc.. So to pay 30+k for a "Motorcycle" that cost the manufacturer pennies on the dollar is excessive spending. Then you WILL have the cost of repairing oil leaks, blown cylinders, buying new bags cause yours rattled off (just happen to my buddy).
Kinda reminds me of my friend who bought this BMW (to catch the ladies eye), he could afford the monthly payments, barely. Then it came time for the oil change, then the break pads, etc.. two years later,, the BMW has a for sale by owner sign on it.. /sad really... The manufacturers dont disclose your gonna be spending 2k on breaks, and other do-dads on a repeated basis...
So if you have the cash to throw around,, by all means throw away...

I hate to bash American made goods, cause there is only a few of them left including HD. But cash is king with me.. and i keep it away from peeps that over charge for their goods/services.

Cannabudz.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pseudo said:
you must be shittin' me, it is mother flockin' RARE to see any 1974 Honda 750 Four (and they sold THOUSANDS of 'em!) still registered and running & yet you'll find thousands of 1974 H-D's still running, registered, ridden, loved, et fuckin cetra!

I put over 100K in 4 years '81-'84 after I'd bought my first new H-D, zero rebuilds as I ran an oil cooler on my bike & I changed oil every 1500 miles because it's air cooled & oil breaks down faster. A bad wrist pin finally caused the front cylinder to be scored and so I had the jugs bored out to .0020 over, and repalced the pistons @ 130K miles I sold that SuperGlide in '95 for $800.00 more than I'd payed for it, try that with a japper.......

Jap bikes are like BIC lighters, disposable at best.

How bout this true story, me n' Chris Duffy are running up the thruway in NY back in the late 80's, I'm on my TourGlide & he's riding a pan/shov (50's lower end & 70's top end) H-D when we see a Honda & rider broken down on the side of the road. Chris is a great wrench and offers to fix him up when he spots the problem, as Chris is taking out his tools this guy says, "Hey, it's a Honda, it's metric." & Chris tells him, "don't worry, I have standard AND metric with me." To which Mr. Honda rider says, "I guess when you ride one of those things you have to carry a lot of tools." "Hey space cadet!" Chris says, "I ain't the one broke down on the side of the road!"
Mr Honda watched in humility as Chris fixed him up for free.......

And btw, why do ALL the jap companies still copy that patented H-D look?

S

ScrogHog

Mercedes or BMW Harley or Honda. Same shit different day. Most all vehicles made now a days are up to most everyones standards no reason to say yours is better cause you chose to buy a jap bike vs a harley. Harley's have an american legacy that most men like to be a part of. For whatever reason. I honestly couldnt find myself putting 20-30k into a motor cycle when i could buy one for 8k-15k. My brother in-law just got his harley on the road after 2 weeks in the shop. Well its back in the shop. From the sounds of it your building your bike so i am sure you'll know how to take better care then my stupid bro in-law not that his repairs were necessarily his fault.

Last edited:

Toad

I'm not trying to add to the jap vs. HD argument because I love harleys but just can't afford one. I also like dual sports, BMWs and hondas. I just picked up a honda shadow and with gas prices the way they are, I'm saving some money and having a blast at the same time.

If its a killer deal that you don't think will come around again, I say jump on it.

Ride safe.