What's new

Things Falling Apart: BAD SIGNS

moose eater

Just when you think the world can't get much weirder....

.... someone loses 30-tons of explosive chemicals en route.

Like, either a whole new level of klutz is born, or someone has some serious intentions of doing something profitable or destructive...

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Just when you think the world can't get much weirder....

.... someone loses 30-tons of explosive chemicals en route.

Like, either a whole new level of klutz is born, or someone has some serious intentions of doing something profitable or destructive...
if they trickled out on the way, couldn't someone walk the tracks in a few places and be able to see the shit? it's not going to evaporate... :dunno: can they even prove it was loaded into the car(s)... ? WTF...

moose eater

I want you to know I looked for that pair of engineers. Turns out Charlie did it.
Somebody pointed out that only 2-tons were used at OKC. They obviously assumed that there was only one possible intention for the stuff.

I guffawed at how 30-tons of powder goes missing. Made our local City PD claiming the squirrels ate over an oz. or 2 of cocaine from their 'evidence trailer' back in the day seem almost believable.

Then I considered the plight of the small-time farmer in this day and age, but man!! 30-tons of that would last a small farmer a lifetime.

So, then I thought maybe it's, like, an organized small farmer mafia-type crime ring...????

Or they're planning to sell it to some bomb-makers... ???? Farmers doing business with domestic Taliban types??? Yikes!!! Turbans and bib overalls???!!! Blasphemy!! Unless maybe it's opium poppies, which, overall the Taliban are actually generally opposed to..

Or someone mistook it for kitty litter, and it's being parceled out into smaller bags and there's going to be some distraught cats in the US soon.

Then I decided that until and if something goes boom in a BIG way, it's probably not worth all the thinking, other than to come full-circle and wonder how someone misplaces 30-tons of powder.

Or, if it's like a USPS Priority Mail package I had a year or 2 ago, where someone assumed the trailer and totes in it were empty and parked the thing in a sea of empty trailers in (ironically) Oklahoma, maybe it just got disconnected, and everybody in that specific rail yard assumes another coworker did it and is aware of what's going on, and everyone's too busy to ask any pertinent questions.

Oh well. Time for a new mystery, though many won't be this entertaining.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Somebody pointed out that only 2-tons were used at OKC.
and explosives experts familiar with the stuff said later that only a portion of it actually detonated, probably because it was not mixed properly. if it had been mixed by someone other than an amateur, the entire building would have come down with many more casualties...

moose eater

and explosives experts familiar with the stuff said later that only a portion of it actually detonated, probably because it was not mixed properly. if it had been mixed by someone other than an amateur, the entire building would have come down with many more casualties...
ANFO is a simple mixture but needs to be mixed thoroughly. After that, a mere 200 psi detonator charge (which really isn't all that stout) is sufficient.

I remember the plans or discussions after OKC to place microscopic markers in ammonium nitrate fertilizer to facilitate tracing it back to origins in the event it was to be used as an explosive component. I don't think they ever got there. If they did, they didn't make a huge public announcement about it.

There were similar plans to place markers like that into gun powders too at one time..

I guess from a Dudley Doorite perspective, and "always getting your man" it had merit.

On the other hand, once a building is already rubble, or a body's been perforated/penetrated by a projectile, it becomes somewhat moot or questionable as to the advantage of knowing who made the thing. Except maybe in a world that values retribution over prevention.

Though I understand the urge for retribution or vengeance fairly well.. Just not as positive or functional a quality.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
we put a VERY dangerous chemical (think respirators & surgical gloves) into the C-4 the Marines use so if it is used against us, they wanted to know where it was made. understandable, since a clown or two was caught trying to slide a 50 lb box of it under the security fence years ago. security was waiting when they came back after dark to retrieve it... years back, another bozo got away with some so he could blow a stump out of his yard. he got rid of the stump, but destroyed his garage & badly damaged his house...:eek::ROFLMAO:

moose eater

Another person/tourist, this one a young male, age 20, succumbed to the mud flats silt of Cook Inlet south of Los Anchorage.

He became stuck up to his knees, then his waist in the quicksand type silt near an estuary where he'd been walking, as the tide was coming in.

At least 2 people in the vicinity had tried unsuccessfully to free him.

By the time anyone in his group called it in, requesting a rescue, it's reported that it was too late, as the nearest rescue response team was about an hour away.

The advice of the rescue response spokesperson was to call in emergencies such as this one as soon as there's a problem... not later.

Not that humans are known for being exceptionally proactive or anything.

My advice is simpler. If the shit you're walking in acts like quicksand, and you're in an area with incoming tides, with your location clearly being below the high-water mark, get the fuck out of there.

Better yet, don't go in there.

Imagine the fear of knowing you can't move and watching as the water's encroaching. Slow deaths suck most of the time. And quicksand-like substrates suck too... literally.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another person/tourist, this one a young male, age 20, succumbed to the mud flats silt of Cook Inlet south of Los Anchorage.

He became stuck up to his knees, then his waist in the quicksand type silt near an estuary where he'd been walking, as the tide was coming in.

At least 2 people in the vicinity had tried unsuccessfully to free him.

By the time anyone in his group called it in, requesting a rescue, it's reported that it was too late, as the nearest rescue response team was about an hour away.

The advice of the rescue response spokesperson was to call in emergencies such as this one as soon as there's a problem... not later.

Not that humans are known for being exceptionally proactive or anything.

My advice is simpler. If the shit you're walking in acts like quicksand, and you're in an area with incoming tides, with your location clearly being below the high-water mark, get the fuck out of there.

Better yet, don't go in there.

Imagine the fear of knowing you can't move and watching as the water's encroaching. Slow deaths suck most of the time. And quicksand-like substrates suck too... literally.
was that near darwin's cove?:)
i lived in homer ak. for years,worked on an island in katchemak bay,third highest tidal range in the world behind bay of fundy and turnigan arm,(i realize you already know this)
so one night in particular that was quite memorable,the boat had come in with the load of restaurant guest and tied up at the floating dock like usual,the dock ramp at a fairly shallow angle as the tide was in at that point....but it was a minus tide that night,one of the bigger one...
1685067488025.png

1685067662709.png

then,the tide went out,farther than this pic too...some of the patrons were genuinely befuddled as to where the boat was...

as it turned out,that night we had two people in wheelchairs...sorta a dilemma...one i was able to fireman carry down the ramp...just barely...the second a somewhat larger person...ended up setting up a rappel,strapped her down to the wheelchair,connected the chair to my harness,and slowly backed down the ramp...
the homer harbor wasn't as bad since the ramp is made from a cheese grater like material and the traction was better so just a hard push to get them back up...

so yeah,those mud flats + a heaping helping of dumb tourist = dead dumb tourist

moose eater

was that near darwin's cove?:)
i lived in homer ak. for years,worked on an island in katchemak bay,third highest tidal range in the world behind bay of fundy and turnigan arm,(i realize you already know this)
so one night in particular that was quite memorable,the boat had come in with the load of restaurant guest and tied up at the floating dock like usual,the dock ramp at a fairly shallow angle as the tide was in at that point....but it was a minus tide that night,one of the bigger one...
View attachment 18846324

View attachment 18846325

then,the tide went out,farther than this pic too...some of the patrons were genuinely befuddled as to where the boat was...

as it turned out,that night we had two people in wheelchairs...sorta a dilemma...one i was able to fireman carry down the ramp...just barely...the second a somewhat larger person...ended up setting up a rappel,strapped her down to the wheelchair,connected the chair to my harness,and slowly backed down the ramp...
the homer harbor wasn't as bad since the ramp is made from a cheese grater like material and the traction was better so just a hard push to get them back up...

so yeah,those mud flats + a heaping helping of dumb tourist = dead dumb tourist
I believe most of these drowning deaths in the mud flats are along Turnagain Arm, on up toward Los Anchorage and Beluga Point, and down toward Portage, where lots of folks dipnet for hooligan..

A former friend in Valdez built a couple of smaller barges from marine plywood and huge floating foam blocks, with flat bottoms on the boats. He'd then build a houseboat configuration on them, sometimes with a raising and lowering ramp on the front like an LCM, sometimes multi-story, often with a shop onboard, and an easy chair (like a Lazy Boy type chair) in front of the wheel in the wheelhouse to kick back in, driven by one or 2 outboards.

The flat bottom meant that by studying the tides, he could hit a remote beach, cable or rope off to an object or shore, and as the tide went out on a relatively flat beach, he'd have a fairly level house for the time he wished to stay there.

Sometimes a short while. Sometimes longer. Tide books are good things.

It wasn't a fast boat, cruising at 5-7 knots if I recall correctly, but it was comfortable for him, and later on he and his significant other.

We (a different former friend and I) have been anchored up and jigging halibut, etc., in Cook Inlet, out of Ninilchik a time or three, and had the tides reverse, and the anchor sucking us down from the stern to the point a welder onboard who was fishing with us cut the anchor line with a knife before we swamped, and grinning, he said, "I'll weld you another one when we get back."

We left more than one anchor and a fair bit of expensive line out there in that specific stretch of Cook Inlet salt water. Pucker factor moments. Radical tides.

Is halibut that tasty? Why, yes, indeed it is. :)

But yeah, if you're going to park a boat on a low tide area of beach, best if it's a flat-bottom vessel. :)

moose eater

An article in Business Insider today claims that 5-year-olds in Texas (schools) are being given Winnie the Pooh books that present how the youngsters can survive a school shooting.

When I was a little guy, Pooh taught us how to have long winding conversations as we walked in circles, who not to stand in the way of when they're flying kites, or how to get our bodies unstuck when we ate too much honey and found ourselves lodged in a tight hole in a cave or den.

I guess Pooh's been modernized.

What's next? The "Pooh Teaches How to Detect Fentanyl in Your Cocaine" book?