What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Unca Walt

420club
What kind of surprises me is that given how much hurricane activity Florida general sees year after year they've not come up with more innovative construction techniques. I've heard that some places are finally getting around to burying phone and power lines after these big storms roll thru and leave people wthout power and communications for extended periods. Which I think is a great idea by why wait so long? I lived in a planed community that was large enough to have it's own zip code. It was built in the 70's and they started with burid utilities and that was in an area that almost never sees a hurricane. I just have never uderstood why these places almost guarenteed to have downed lines have waited so long. Now they have done some good things in making materials more durable so that they can handle debris flying at 200+ mph but it's so they can still build something the looks like a traditional home. I would love to see someone ddo something like a reinforced concrete structure that is domed shaped so that the wind never hits right angles and can just slide up and over it or around it. Maybe with thick concrete or metal walls surronding the property that can be raised and lowered as needed to deal with flooding. That's what I imagined when I was young and hearing about billions in damages every year, often in places still recovering from the previous years damage. Sure I know it would cost a hell of a lot but if in the end you didn't have to keep rebuilding it, wouldn't it be more practical?
A reasonable question. I got the answer from the horse: Floriduh is a wet state (very high water table). So burying power lines is flat out not a "go".

The homes built after the radical changes made to construction specs are pretty darn tough. As an example:

My house has folding steel shutters good to 250MPH.

The roof is not put on "Main Cabin Masters Style" with a quick dot-dot-dot and done. Down here, there are nails in 2" disks. The disks are about 1" apart in every direction. Thousands of them on my roof.

The concrete block walls are tied by 8' bent rebar to the slab at 2' intervals. The solid concrete block walls are tied with 8' bent rebar to the roof beams. The roof beams are I-beams. Instead of a single nail (GA/TN/ME spec) the risers are affixed to the I-beams by triple steel straps 6" wide.

And so on. Post-Andrew specs are needed -- or you are gambling every year that the 00 will not come up on the Roulette Wheel.

oldmaninbc

420club
Well, I need to do morning dishes and get ready for my 10am zoom. Then up the ladder. I told the Mrs. this was my last year doing roof and ladder work. I don't mind taking a calculated risk but my body has a mind of it's own at times and if all of a sudden I decide to list or lose my balance, that could spell big trouble on the ladder or roof. I already have too many health issues. This is the last time.

Unca Walt

420club
Where I grew up
Humbly said they even named a street after me " Joseph street"😊☝️

EVER KEWL.

While working for Teas & Steinbrenner, I got to name a street after me. There is a Waltie Ct. out there on Long Island. In North Bablylon IIRC.

How it happened: It was a short road -- REALLY short. And the requirement for road frontage was such that you could only get maybe four houses (two on each side) I may be wrong on the number of houses, since this was 60 fargin years ago.

Anyway, on my own time, I was teaching myself drafting, and I had an idea. I put a wee-waw in the short cut-through street... this gave me (mathematically) juuust enough road frontage to squeeze in another house.

LATE EDIT: Squeezed in another house on either side. You can see how squeezed and sorta sideways the middle houses are one each side. I remembered that I had it figured to a shade over two inches "in the black".

This was a blue ton of found money for the builder of the whole shebang, and he told me to name the road after myself. So I did.

SOMMONABENCH!!!!!!!!!! I FOUND IT. FIRST TIME I LOOKED IN OVER HALF A CENTURY.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Waltie+Ct,+West+Babylon,+NY+11704/@40.7096138,-73.336814,693m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x89e82ccff673d1eb:0x63871bf6b44ffc86!8m2!3d40.710608!4d-73.336588!16s/g/1tgpp1j5?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MTAwNS4yIKXMDSoASAFQAw==

Last edited:

Yarddog

I’ve been wanting a side by side for years. To cruise the 35 acres we have and to ride over to my parents place across the field. Hunting etc. never could justify the cost. Last year I bought an all wheel drive first Gen CRV. Put a camo spray job on it, mud tires and a 2 inch lift kit and it does whatever I need it to do. Doesn’t have enough horsepower to break. Handles mud and soft trails very well. Comfortable, ac and heat. Cd player, cassette deck and am/fm. I have 4k in it. 10k less than a side by side and I can drive it on the road.
Bought another last year that’s totaled and another that needs and engine/transmission. Both are FWD, going to by my new daily driver. Getting to old to fall into a civic and climb back out every time i go somewhere. CRV is perfect. You just sit in it and go. 59 cup holders, not really. I think it only has 6😂
Has a junkyard engine that started smoking when you idle a few minutes. Think I’ll rebuild the head this year and try and get some longer life from her.
Pops has an automatic and a manual. The auto is much preferred in the woods. Don’t have to stress the clutch
IMG_1610.jpeg

SubGirl

Premium user
420club
A reasonable question. I got the answer from the horse: Floriduh is a wet state (very high water table). So burying power lines is flat out not a "go".

The homes built after the radical changes made to construction specs are pretty darn tough. As an example:

My house has folding steel shutters good to 250MPH.

The roof is not put on "Main Cabin Masters Style" with a quick dot-dot-dot and done. Down here, there are nails in 2" disks. The disks are about 1" apart in every direction. Thousands of them on my roof.

The concrete block walls are tied by 8' bent rebar to the slab at 2' intervals. The solid concrete block walls are tied with 8' bent rebar to the roof beams. The roof beams are I-beams. Instead of a single nail (GA/TN/ME spec) the risers are affixed to the I-beams by triple steel straps 6" wide.

And so on. Post-Andrew specs are needed -- or you are gambling every year that the 00 will not come up on the Roulette Wheel.
As long as the water stays below all those nails on the roof you will be ok I think but still collect some water in case you lose yours. Thinking about y'all unca

Yarddog

I get idiots in their butt sagging trucks and those weird rubber duck jeepsexuals look down their noses at me. They just don’t know. Young buck at work laughed and said how could a man drive a CRV on mud tires? I said boy mines paid for. Is yours? He has a jacked up dodge 2500 on rubber band gay tires that would get stuck on wet grass.
I’m so glad I’m old enough to not be an ignorant fool with a hard on everywhere I go. I don’t miss those days.
Speaking of, I must be getting better. Mrs dog rubbed my back this morning and we got a reaction from ole buddy. Haven’t had a twitch out of him in a week now. He’s not too peppy when you trying not to die 😂

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
I get idiots in their butt sagging trucks and those weird rubber duck jeepsexuals look down their noses at me. They just don’t know. Young buck at work laughed and said how could a man drive a CRV on mud tires? I said boy mines paid for. Is yours? He has a jacked up dodge 2500 on rubber band gay tires that would get stuck on wet grass.
I’m so glad I’m old enough to not be an ignorant fool with a hard on everywhere I go. I don’t miss those days.
Speaking of, I must be getting better. Mrs dog rubbed my back this morning and we got a reaction from ole buddy. Haven’t had a twitch out of him in a week now. He’s not too peppy when you trying not to die 😂
I drive beaters as well usually stop and asked the jacked up trucks in the ditches come winter if they are ok and need anything.
😆
That and I drive slow in the snow which really seems to help with ice and deer.
😆

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
I’ve been wanting a side by side for years. To cruise the 35 acres we have and to ride over to my parents place across the field. Hunting etc. never could justify the cost. Last year I bought an all wheel drive first Gen CRV. Put a camo spray job on it, mud tires and a 2 inch lift kit and it does whatever I need it to do. Doesn’t have enough horsepower to break. Handles mud and soft trails very well. Comfortable, ac and heat. Cd player, cassette deck and am/fm. I have 4k in it. 10k less than a side by side and I can drive it on the road.
Bought another last year that’s totaled and another that needs and engine/transmission. Both are FWD, going to by my new daily driver. Getting to old to fall into a civic and climb back out every time i go somewhere. CRV is perfect. You just sit in it and go. 59 cup holders, not really. I think it only has 6😂
Has a junkyard engine that started smoking when you idle a few minutes. Think I’ll rebuild the head this year and try and get some longer life from her.
Pops has an automatic and a manual. The auto is much preferred in the woods. Don’t have to stress the clutch
View attachment 19081204
35 acres.??????? Could do anything. I want to take shrooms and walk around in my underwear. Or maybe shoot veggies and fruits with cool gunz

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Spent the first part of the afternoon doing sprinkler repair. Guy next door expanded his driveway up to my property line. Of course the cement finishers could care less about my perimeter sprinkler heads. Neighbor volunteered to do it and fill in the gaps with sod. I will let him but in the mean time I need to get some water on the grass so I did a quick alignment.

So, yard good, grow is good.....time to farg off.

Latest posts

Latest posts