What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

jokerman

Premium user
We have Pheasants, Grouse, and Chukar here as well and a dog makes a huge difference. Chukar are the hardest to hit for me because they are so fast and evasive, after also exploding at your feet.

The Pheasants and Grouse here will often either hide or run on the ground without dogs to flush them into the air. My hunting buddy kept black Labs for family dog and hunting, and if the birds were there Angi or later Rosie would find and flush them. They were an absolute pleasure to watch work!

My favorite upland bird gun was my Browning OU in 12ga.

Thank you! It took me three tries to get it right and there are brothers and sisters on this thread with more time with the same soulmate.

I believe they will all tell you that it wasn't easy or blissful every step of the way, but they were able to talk their way through the BS and power through the hard times.

For me the secret was to marry my best friend, because I treat friends kindlier and with more consideration than just lovers and she responded in kind.
Beautifully said❤️😊

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
enjoy hearing bout bird hunting…. Ol R and GW….
had few humpbacks… could line up quicker and drop more…. Chessies fav waterfowl dogs…. had one from Utah yrs ago would run down on his own 3/4 mile to ocean and swim off energy … hunting fool when heard action click…but friend had a line of choc labs that would dive 8’ bottom of pool to retrieve abalone shells…and take out on boat fishing Monterey Bay… would spot schools of flashing bait fish and dive in after… easy 10’ before blowing bubbles back to surface……ducks in Los Banos with my son … can’t buy the memories… hunted all the above birds and snipe and fav to eat are Mtn. Quail… runnin SoB’s like chukar…got to flank as always going up hill…lived in foothills Sierras for 30yrs and son and I shot more vly quail than any else…ran many breeds of upland dogs but English pointers most naturally talented/go all day in heat.. tails bleeding from whipping through brush and damn if those dogs wouldn’t hunt themselves to death…
could go on for days talking such…

yesterday son sends this from Wyoming… he and wife got 6 tags this season…weatherby.257 .. 430 yrds ….92 grain customs hammer…dropped in tracks…home by lunch…
made me antelope smash burger last year… best ever had…
IMG_8144.jpeg

jokerman

Premium user
enjoy hearing bout bird hunting…. Ol R and GW….
had few humpbacks… could line up quicker and drop more…. Chessies fav waterfowl dogs…. had one from Utah yrs ago would run down on his own 3/4 mile to ocean and swim off energy … hunting fool when heard action click…but friend had a line of choc labs that would dive 8’ bottom of pool to retrieve abalone shells…and take out on boat fishing Monterey Bay… would spot schools of flashing bait fish and dive in after… easy 10’ before blowing bubbles back to surface……ducks in Los Banos with my son … can’t buy the memories… hunted all the above birds and snipe and fav to eat are Mtn. Quail… runnin SoB’s like chukar…got to flank as always going up hill…lived in foothills Sierras for 30yrs and son and I shot more vly quail than any else…ran many breeds of upland dogs but English pointers most naturally talented/go all day in heat.. tails bleeding from whipping through brush and damn if those dogs wouldn’t hunt themselves to death…
could go on for days talking such…

yesterday son sends this from Wyoming… he and wife got 6 tags this season…weatherby.257 .. 430 yrds ….92 grain customs hammer…dropped in tracks…home by lunch…
made me antelope smash burger last year… best ever had…
View attachment 19079326
Noice!
shot in the morn and in the pot at nite.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

My Dad looks after the pheasant and partridge for a local farmer's shoot still.
He flys his peregrine at the partridge so he gets his kicks that way.

We used to have a brace of pheasant every xmas off the farmer (old Bob), I photographed the last shoot his dog went on before he had to put her down so he felt he owed me. Anyway, I can't stand game meat, but my jack russells used to sit under the brace that was hanging in the garage and stare at them, willing them to fall off the hook. 😂

I used to end up slinging them one each and letting them cause carnage in the garden till they'd shaken, bitten and eaten what they wanted and then buried the rest. Or tried to bury them... Those dogs were rubbish at hiding food. 🤪

Unca Walt

420club
My advice for a long marriage would be, don’t fret over the small stuff. And marry a loyal lass. Don’t matter what she looks like if she is some other mans side chick.
Well, lookin' back to when my Scottish Witch and I were married 65 years ago, I might tender one piece of advice... (something we have assiduously followed for all that time) :

Never let an argument go overnight.

Dissected to make it plain: It is more fun getting laid after a long, late bedtime than to lay down boiling with an anger that will be a permanent blemish or crack.

Latest posts

Latest posts