What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

jokerman

Premium user
Absolutely spot on. #9 shot, and you have a great dinner. Quail was white meat, and therefore prized. <-- Got to thinkin' about it; dove were shot at long distance (airborne) as an average, while quail erupted from under your feet.

I preferred dove hunting. I absolutely smoked a quail at ten feet with my 12 gauge double-barrel.
under your feet and scare the shit out of you !
We had a lot of quail when I was growing up on Long Island
Now not as much due to the feral cats

Last edited:

jokerman

Premium user

Ice Cream Cakes for breakfast- yum. Sounds like a nice beginning to a weekend morning. Enjoy your Sunday cuppas ..

At my age of 69 I was fortunate to have grown up with exceptional music but now at this age ,losing them .
I guess far better naturally than OD
Beck ,Kris K ,Chistie Mc Vee were on in years like us.
Its been said that Stevie Nicks is so old she doesn't twirl around on stage anymore.

giggy

Morning everybody, quiet here as I am the only one stirring, not even the pups. I might go make coffee here in a bit. Being slightly immobile I do make a lot of noise moving around, the pups will be moving then they'll think it is outside time. Supposed to be another nice day. Yall have a good morning.

Yarddog

Morning everybody, quiet here as I am the only one stirring, not even the pups. I might go make coffee here in a bit. Being slightly immobile I do make a lot of noise moving around, the pups will be moving then they'll think it is outside time. Supposed to be another nice day. Yall have a good morning.
Hey Giggy glad to see you stirring. I’m up with the two kids. Letting mama dog sleep in this morning some. She’s been pulling my weight while I’ve been sick.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was a multi-day comprehensive series of aptitude tests that I took in 1957 in high school. Mine came out mixed with two salient (and awkwardly odd) points: writing and military. I did both.

Those aptitude tests were uncannily accurate. Where did they go? Did anybody else here get to take them?
We took those aptitude tests as well In 1957. Ten of us highest scorers got to go to the International Geophysical Year Reports to Youth presentation.
Absolutely spot on. #9 shot, and you have a great dinner. Quail was white meat, and therefore prized. <-- Got to thinkin' about it; dove were shot at long distance (airborne) as an average, while quail erupted from under your feet.

I preferred dove hunting. I absolutely smoked a quail at ten feet with my 12 gauge double-barrel.
We had Bob Whites growing up and have Mountain Quail here. Both will give you a runny leg erupting underfoot. I've missed more than I've hit because I was startled, shooting while they were still close and if I did hit one up close, as you note there is not a lot left.

My favorite Quail gun at the time was a Model 11 Remington with a modified choke.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugs all around, passing left!
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

A gorgeous clear day here starting at 47F and predicted to reach 72F.

Today we are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I mistakenly said 37 years when I posted last time, doing complicated math in my head while stoned.

I woke up to find a mushy card on my keyboard this morning and made Grayfox a couple as well. One from me and one from Miss Layla and Melissa. We are celebrating tonight at Takahashi Japanese restaurant with guest.
red rose 2.jpg

OleReynard

I've shot lots of Quail, Doves and pheasants.
I've had high powered staters all my life and various Chessies for waterfowl.
Used to compete in trials with my dogs.

Have yet to shoot a grouse.

As far as gun collection i have 2- 4 barrel sets 1 is a Winchester Pigeon Grade set o/u. Skeet set up.
The other is a BSS Browning side x side.
A couple 10ga one of which i will not shoot no more the SanMarcos is a o/u like getting kicked by a mule.
I still have my first and second guns 410 bolt action and 20 ga mossberg pump.

Numerous rifles and pistols stashed away for another time another place.
Then I have my Belgium Browning 12 ga Humpback.
My 12 ga Mossberg mod 500c trophy hunter, slug gun that I convert for duck hunting, which is sitting right now with a home security 18.5 barrel with tube attachment holds 7.
Also have a scoped barrel and rifle sights for this one.

My security guns are up here while my money guns are stashed at my folks house.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
There was a multi-day comprehensive series of aptitude tests that I took in 1957 in high school. Mine came out mixed with two salient (and awkwardly odd) points: writing and military. I did both.

Those aptitude tests were uncannily accurate. Where did they go? Did anybody else here get to take them?
Well if they had those same tests in the schools on the East Coast, then I would have to say they were gradually phased out and completely eliminated by the early 80's. I say that because by the time I would have had to go thru that (mid to late 70's) there was no 5 day series of tests. Instead, once you reached your Junior year in High School at some point in the early part of the school year you were called to the counselors offce (These were general purpose counselors meant for helping kids experiencing problems, who also doubled as vocational counselors) they would talk with you about your "plans" for after high school and if you had none they would discuss with you some of the options that might be available. At that time they would offer the aptitude tests but I don't think it was 5 days worth and they were optional, meaning you didn't have to take them. Now when exactly they disappeared I'm not sure because it happened after I was out of the public school system which for me was anytime after 1978. I'm guessing they disappeared in the 80's because it wasn't long after I was out of high school that I started hearng that classes like Auto Shop, Wood working Shop, Home Ec., Art, Music started to disappear. It was also around that time when they stopped offering Driver's Education in the High Schools. Forcing teens to have to seek out private driving schools when they were ready to get a license. It was also during that period of time that the Department of Education seemed to be under assault from Congress who were looking for ways to cut the budget and education seemed to be an easy target.

It was also around that time you started to hear more and more reports how the average scores of students were in decline and the rate of drop outs was increasing. One can only assume that the classes that were cut were viewed as non essential which on the surface I get. Yet I've always felt that those courses were more important then people realized because they dealt largely with creativity which in my opinion is essential because I think stimulating a child's creativity is important to keeping students engaged and in producing a more well rounded student.

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Good morning brothers and sisters! Hugs all around, passing left! View attachment 19079246 View attachment 19079247

A gorgeous clear day here starting at 47F and predicted to reach 72F.

Today we are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. I mistakenly said 37 years when I posted last time, doing complicated math in my head while stoned.

I woke up to find a mushy card on my keyboard this morning and made Grayfox a couple as well. One from me and one from Miss Layla and Melissa. We are celebrating tonight at Takahashi Japanese restaurant with guest.
View attachment 19079248
Congratulations, I always love hearing about relationships that stand the test of time, it gives me renewed hope in humanity because it takes real effort on behalf of both in order for it to happen. Effort that strengthens important human qualites such as patience, understanding, compassion, the ability to compromise and of course the most important...love. Happy 40th.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
Sunday!
Sunday!
Thrills!

so yeah , low pressure system and my head is pounding

need coffee