What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I still have an old school black and decker 1/2 inch drill and a grinder like these ,each is at least 50 years old and still work the same,well before they became dollar store tools
Yeah that's back when they earned their quality status. It's a shame they ended up pissing it away just to make a bit more profit. Oh well, just another day in America.

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
I had GE appliances for years but when I moved here, got all new ones and have already had problems with refrigerator dishwasher and washer. Repairman is not cheap either sometimes better off just buying a new one…🙁
Growing up I remember my family had the same refridgerator for at least 20 years, I don't remember the brand. Anyway my Mother finally got rid of it in favor of a newer more modern one, I don't remember it's brand either but it also held up for at least 20 years (except the ice maker but they are all crap in my experience). Anyway in my mid 40's when me and the Mrs. finally became homeowners instead of renters we replace the old and dying fridge that came with the house. Three years later within a month of the warranty expiring, this nice new GE fridge died. I called a repairman out who fixed it by replacing a controller circuit board ($700+ parts and labor) While he was working on it I asked how long refridgerators last these days because I was surprised mine died so quick (compared to the one in my family home growing up). He didn't hesitate a second when he answered "about 3 years". So Pute is spot on about the planned obsolescence.

Last edited:

OleReynard

Used to have 3 hitachi skil saws kept the best one after I sold the business.
I really like their rotary hammer drill kept that, it's hardwire so is the skil saw.
14" band saw that's virtually new saw i had to have it bought it at a drastically reduced price from Lowes.
Everything else I have are the old style Dewalt 18v picked up new batteries from Amazon.
I only kept the drill, impact, rotary hammer drill, the batteries, and my sliding 12" trim saw
Everything else I went back to hardwire.
More powerful and I'm done doing gigs for people, don't mind stretching the cord.
My planer/ surfacer also Dewalt.
I do have a Bosch Dovetail/undercut saw and a Porter Cable plunge/fixed base router.
Dewalt Planer
Dewalt Sawzall

Porter Cable also made by Black and Decker

Last edited:

HempKat

Veteran
Just got to here... jeez. Cannot take a nap and keep up. Anyway:

You cannot stop it. It is a natural loss of electrical connectivity.

BUT. You can slow it down. From MySonTheDoctor <-- Gonna change that to "MySonTheSuperDoctor" warned me years ago about the inevitable memory glitches coming and told me blueberries as a steady diet will slow down the onset.

For years, I've had blueberries in cereal with buttermilk for breakfast. But I don't remember where I put my car...
Yes, that is correct, blueberries are considered a super food and are loaded with antioxidents that are good both for the heart and brain. Not to mention they taste awesome.😋

Last edited:

oldfogey8

Oooh oooh. I just put a laser on my Empire HellHound crossbow. I love the beast, but it is simply no fargin good for futzin' around target shooting. It requires two-looped handle thingies to load it. (185#)

But it shoots through Kevlar. TINS
View attachment 19068054

To quote Danny Vermin from Johnny Dangerously: "It shoots through schools."
Yep. My crossbow is a Barnett Avenger. I ought it used. It can is fun but the 2 looped cocking deal is a pain. I can retrofit it with a crank which I may do at some point.

Unca Walt

420club

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Someone once came on a thread here somewhere, maybe 7-8 years ago...they said they were in the movie business and wanted to know what the scariest thing you can think of was. I said animatronic cannibals. Then a few years later there's that movie with the chuckee cheese animatronic things killing and eating people. It has a big release but did poorly.

jokerman

Premium user
Used to have 3 hitachi skil saws kept the best one after I sold the business.
I really like their rotary hammer drill kept that, it's hardwire so is the skil saw.
14" band saw that's virtually new saw i had to have it bought it at a drastically reduced price from Lowes.
Everything else I have are the old style Dewalt 18v picked up new batteries from Amazon.
I only kept the drill, impact, rotary hammer drill, the batteries, and my sliding 12" trim saw
Everything else I went back to hardwire.
More powerful and I'm done doing gigs for people, don't mind stretching the cord.
My planer/ surfacer also Dewalt.
I do have a Bosch Dovetail/undercut saw and a Porter Cable plunge/fixed base router.
Dewalt Planer
Dewalt Sawzall

Porter Cable also made by Black and Decker
I can get more work done with a Hitachi wand then I can with their skilsaw😊😉
Im a electrician and have a plethora of shit ,a plethora.
We roughed houses and the one Milwaukee drill has a 33 extension so you can drill beams standing on the floor. and rotary hammers that the big one needs someone else carrying it but me .
I charge extra when I have to bring heavy shit☝️

OleReynard

I can get more work done with a Hitachi wand then I can with their skilsaw😊😉
Im a electrician and have a plethora of shit ,a plethora.
We roughed houses and the one Milwaukee drill has a 33 extension so you can drill beams standing on the floor. and rotary hammers that the big one needs someone else carrying it but me .
I charge extra when I have to bring heavy shit☝️
Know what ya mean haven't even got into my speciality tools for stairs