What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Yeah that is coco chips. All I could find around here. Bought it at the local flower shop packaged as an orchid medium in a 1 1/2 gallon brick. Most of the chunks are dime size or a bit smaller including some finer material and flakes. I was tempted to mix a bit of vermiculite into it.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Lookin' good Capt. I second what dansbuds said....wait for 'em to hit the res & take off....then push the nutes full on. Best wishes to you and your grow.

jus'plain'gill

There are many that contribute to this thread, I am here just to show off and say thank you :thank you:

picture.php

She might look rough but when I cut her support and pulled her out of the garden, her heavy buds made her droop more like bunches of ripe grapes than ripe cannabis. This Grapefruit is in a 3 gallon bucket filled with perlite/vermiculite, fed maxibloom all the way, flowered under a 600 watt HPS for 85 days, and despite some issues with bud rot in the massive main cola, this will definitely be my heaviest plant ever (I'm estimating she'd have given 4+ oz if not for the rot) AND IT WAS SO EASY!! Hempy is a cruise-control style for sure, I'm definitely gonna stick with it for the next couple or dozen runs. Thanks again and take care

.JPG

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Ok. All my little ones have responded well to the transplant, even the sickly looking one is starting to put out some healthy looking new growth. I think it may have been feeling root bound in it's Solo cup .

Question. On average, how long does it take for the plants to shoot their new roots down into the reservoir of a Hempy bucket?

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Usually takes about a week in 2 or 3 gallon buckets , never used a 5 gallon so can't comment on that . but it looks like your in the 2 to 3 gallon range so .....

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Hey guy's!!,
My first Hempy is going good so far! I made another one the other day. I am using Ionic nutrients(Grow & Bloom), but was wondering if I could use Flairform's Budstorm additive along with the Ionic nutrients? I have been using the Budstorm additive in soil, but am unsure if I could use it in the Hempy bucket... It doesnt state whether it's use is for Soil, or Hydro. Once she is established, I should feed every couple of days? I am also curious as to the flushing process? Straight RO for the last week, or the last few waterings? Thanks again for the help!

Ahhhh......

It touches my heart to see people trying out Hempy buckets for the first time.

@Midnight: Your clones will look shitty for a week or so. As the roots are establishing, you wanna water around the stem (not too much) daily to stop them from stressing out as the roots are heading their way to the rez thus developing. When you notice massive growth (about a week or so) then you can assume the roots are in the rez. At this point, water every 2 or 3 days until run off.

@Bobbo: If I was you I'd use hydro nutes. If you use other nutes and you feel that it's doing good or bad for the plants then continue or abandon accordingly. Keep an eye on the leaves and listen to what the plants tell you. The plants know better than any human! As regards to flushing, I simply water my buckets with just ph'd tap water for the last coupla weeks or so.

@Dansbuds. Correct. Only I dip my clones in that clonex gel before placing them in the water. A very simple cloning method, although it takes a bit longer to root than in say rockwool. Also, rockwool clones always get a better head start than cave man clones. (Caveman clones is no expert term. I like to call them cave man clones just coz it's simple, and if the cavemen was cloning then they would not have the benefits of propagators or bubblers etc as we have in this day and age lol)

@ Everyone else: Your buckets are looking great. Keep up the good work guys n gals :)

picture.php

Hempy bucket bud from my grow buddy.

Happy Hempying everyone!

:tiphat:

Midnight

Veteran
Ahhhh......

It touches my heart to see people trying out Hempy buckets for the first time.

@Midnight: Your clones will look shitty for a week or so. As the roots are establishing, you wanna water around the stem (not too much) daily to stop them from stressing out as the roots are heading their way to the rez thus developing. When you notice massive growth (about a week or so) then you can assume the roots are in the rez. At this point, water every 2 or 3 days until run off.

Thanks man. Those are from seed btw. They look shitty because I was having ph drift issues with my nutes. I got that straightened out now, they are starting to look much better.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Great stuff as always!
I use a few 5g buckets and they take a couple of weeks to hit the bottom....then look out!
I've noticed with seedlings that they won't look bad if you build your nutes from quarter strength and increase up as you go....they'll tell you what they want and when...keep it up fellas!

Also....when I run with maxibloom it is much harder to get evrything nice and green from the early stages....jacks pro hydro nutes make things much easier to maintain healthy plants early on.

Last edited:

2000pm

I'm finding that to be an issue on my maxi/hempy plants too - just not that good looking at the start but once they get going all is well.

Midnight

Veteran
Also....when I run with maxibloom it is much harder to get evrything nice and green from the early stages....jacks pro hydro nutes make things much easier to maintain healthy plants early on.

What do you mean by "early stages"? Are you using the maxibloom in veg or the early stage of flower? I use koolbloom powder myself in week five flower with half strength gh 3 part nutes. Is there a difference in maxibloom and koolbloom? They look the same to me.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there a difference in maxibloom and koolbloom? They look the same to me.
Maxibloom is the nutrient you use from veg to flower @ 1tsp per gallon (lucas formula ) . the Koolbloom is a PK booster used in the last week of flower before the flush @ 1/4 tsp per gallon . 2 entirely different animals :)

Midnight

Veteran
Maxibloom is the nutrient you use from veg to flower @ 1tsp per gallon (lucas formula ) . the Koolbloom is a PK booster used in the last week of flower before the flush @ 1/4 tsp per gallon . 2 entirely different animals :)

Maxibloom is for flowering stage according to gh web site. I use koolbloom and it's the same thing, a flowering nute. I'm just trying to figure out why you would use one over the other.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/nutrients/maxi_series/maxibloom/

stonedar

Macro-aggressor
Veteran
maxibloom is a complete one part fertilizer that includes all the nutrients a plant needs from seed to harvest.

koolbloom is a flowering enhancer that contains PK boosters and other flowering boosters, doesn't contain everything plants need to live.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Maxibloom is for flowering stage according to gh web site. I use koolbloom and it's the same thing, a flowering nute. I'm just trying to figure out why you would use one over the other.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/nutrients/maxi_series/maxibloom/

First mistake is listening to a nutrient mfg when talking about cannabis. :)

I highly recommend Maxibloom for both veg and bloom. Koolbloom POWDER is a highly concentrated version of..... well, pretty much GH Flora Bloom.

Maxibloom is pretty much a 'complete' nutrient for cannabis... adding silicon and silica plus a booster like KoolBloom powder or other PK booster will really up the potential.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Midnight

Veteran
First mistake is listening to a nutrient mfg when talking about cannabis. :)

Well, if we were talking about AN I'd buy that argument, but it doesn't really matter because I'll just stick with my gh 3 part and my koolbloom, they work great for me. :tiphat: :tiphat:

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
@midnite. You can totally use maxibloom throughout the entire grow...I had issues while using it....not enough mag or cal. So we switched to jacks and things work out better for us. The maxibloom is a great product and if I couldn't have jacks I would most certainly use maxibloom always. I can't help you with the koolbloom as I've never used it but coming from the gh 3 part to this point now....ill never go back. Its easy to use and it is well over 75% less to use.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
@midnite. You can totally use maxibloom throughout the entire grow...I had issues while using it....not enough mag or cal.
The issue is your pH swing wasn't enough for the plants to absorb what was there.

Regardless of what nutrient you use... a full pH swing will allow the plant the best possible growth rates.

There are VERY few strains of cannabis that require both magnesium AND calcium in quantities not found in Maxibloom, doesn't sound like a nutrient problem. There are a few strains that are mag hungry and that issue can be easily fixed.... with up to a gram of epsom salts.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles: