What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

The New & Improved [ROLS MEGATHREAD].

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
<Crackling Airwaves> XER-AM, you have transmission...

Going to let you recycled pervs have a few more beaver shots of the virgin soil mix I'm preparing.

picture.php

Top Soil and Compost

picture.php

EWC

picture.php

Kelp Meal

picture.php

Coir, hydrated with Gynostemma tea.

picture.php

I'm not able to source leaf mold or litter, but I took it on myself to make sure I introduced this virgin to some local leaf debris. Enable the hyphae, I say!

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
I followed a GasCan type recipe with a few mod's...

liming mix was dolomite/gypsum/oyster; shrimp meal; bat guano (using up in place of fish meal); fish bone meal, Sul-Po-Mag; Karanja

I then went Coot heavy with azomite and rock dust.

Mixed those two bins till my back splixed.

picture.php

Then I added a few real soil pervs to do it right.

picture.php

Shut the door and walk away. Truth be told, I'm hot for a date with these soils. I've got a row full of plants all bothered in their teeny tiny pots and no where to go. Here's the plan...

The blue tubs photographing so nicely in the background...my new 20 gal no till containers - o - the - future.

About 3-5 gallons 'hot virgin soil' at the bottom. Remaining, older 'virgin' mix/ recy soil at the top. Around two plants per tub. No time to cook the virgin soil, so it will do that while the plants are establishing in new pots. Danger - yes. Fraught with peril - yes. Sexy as soil can be - Uh Huh.

If this soil experiment fails me, I'm changing my name to John Brinkley.

<Crackle static...end>

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ur Humbl Nr8tor again

No biochar for the sleazy soil pervs? :smoke:

shmalphy

Veteran
Sunday morning... coffee... smoking multiple strains... music.. springtime... birds chirping... compost steaming... greenhouse full of salad greens for lunch... to go with some BBQ...

ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS... such is life...

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Gil Carandang has had a website for a few years but it suffered from slow connection speed, lack of organization, etc. That has changed with a new update - The Unconventional Farmer with Gil Carandang.

The new site includes recipes for almost everything from the Lactobacillus Serum through making your own fish hydrolysate, BIM, Calcium Phosphate, Grow Fertilizer, Bloom Fertilizer and even Neem Extract if you had access to a neem tree.

He also has information about his working farm, Herbana Farms in the Philippines.

Well worth bookmarking for future reference...

CC

H

Heliopolis

I just want to quickly thank Cootz for sharing the sprouted seed tea v2.0 recipe. It's easier and more effective than what I was doing before.

:respect:

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Clack!

I've the Version 2.0 Going right now and the first soak for 8 hours hit a little more than the desired weight :dance:

Now they are rooting.... can't wait.

Also, thank you for that Gil Carandang link, much appreciated.

I'll be messing with some fish hydrosolate for Tea's and also curious about the calphos from my pet chickens egg shells.

Going to have to get weird on it this month!

Y

YosemiteSam

another question for cc

another question for cc

So I must have 1000 gallons of coco laying around...I was blind but now I see. The question is does it make decent worm food or is a total loss?

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
RE: SST v2.0

Besides the increased impact on the plants the other thing is that this is a much faster way to be ready to apply a tea - usually less than 36 hours or so.

I'm 2 or 3 days from harvest with 3 strains and they continue to 'chunk up' from these teas as well as coconut water with aloe vera resulting in very large calyxes, massive resin levels and the smell has rendered my CanFan rig pretty much useless.

"Oh my!"

CC

Narrator- It's pretty damn easy to make leaf mold/litter. Take some leaves and put them in a plastic garbage bag w/ an occasional shovelful of compost in there, make sure it's somewhat moist, tie the bag up, poke a few holes in it, and let it sit for awhile.

I made mine by placing the leaves on top of my compost pile, mixing w/ a little bit of compost, and by spring it was chock full of worms and fungus gnats.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Narrator- It's pretty damn easy to make leaf mold/litter. Take some leaves and put them in a plastic garbage bag w/ an occasional shovelful of compost in there, make sure it's somewhat moist, tie the bag up, poke a few holes in it, and let it sit for awhile.

I made mine by placing the leaves on top of my compost pile, mixing w/ a little bit of compost, and by spring it was chock full of worms and fungus gnats.

Thanks for the tip. I'll double up on the worms and pass on the fungus gnats, if I'm able.

Gil Carandang has had a website for a few years but it suffered from slow connection speed, lack of organization, etc. That has changed with a new update - The Unconventional Farmer with Gil Carandang.

The new site includes recipes for almost everything from the Lactobacillus Serum through making your own fish hydrolysate, BIM, Calcium Phosphate, Grow Fertilizer, Bloom Fertilizer and even Neem Extract if you had access to a neem tree.

He also has information about his working farm, Herbana Farms in the Philippines.

Well worth bookmarking for future reference...

CC

There is a thread about this. Share your experiences there from the stuff you try out!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=260002

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
also curious about the calphos from my pet chickens egg shells.

MileHigh

They'll work great since you probably do a much better job taking care of your chickens than does Eggland or whoever is in your part of the world.

Remember that you can use any pure Calcium Carbonate for Gil's Calcium Phosphate process.

Oyster Shell Powder
Calcite Lime (aka Agricultural) - pure CaCO3 meaning that Limestone would not be a good choice

In it's pure form you have Phosphorus @ 2.8% making it number 2 on the list of elements in this mineral compound.

Just in case your hens slow down their egg production! LOL

CC

somoz

Veteran
About 3-5 gallons 'hot virgin soil' at the bottom. Remaining, older 'virgin' mix/ recy soil at the top. Around two plants per tub. No time to cook the virgin soil, so it will do that while the plants are establishing in new pots. Danger - yes. Fraught with peril - yes. Sexy as soil can be - Uh Huh.

If this soil experiment fails me, I'm changing my name to John Brinkley.

<Crackle static...end>

I batched up a mix very similar to the one Gas posted, about 7 cubic yards of it and some of the beds only sat for a day or two before I transplanted......no burning or stalling occurred and they took right off. Hope that eases your concerns as I was stressing about shocking and burning when I plugged in.

FWIW

O

Old_Headbanger

composting

composting

I got thinking about using eastern skunk cabbage in my compost piles, after reading about taro in daylightings thread. Coots' said I'd be good using the leaves without any worry, which is great.

What I realized is in order for me to get to the skunk cabbage I have to pass so many other plants that I could put in my pile also. I just liked the idea of the skunk cabbage because there is a lot of it, but there's a lot of everything else also.

So many different plants growing this time of year its easy to make giant piles out of weeds alone and clean up a bit too. I really need to start identifying what's growing in my yard for scrub brush or whatever you want to call it. Why take a walk in the swamp if I don't have to I guess.

Also have tons of these small comfrey looking plants everywhere. Their kind of fuzzy though. I think I remember john Deere saying something about them, but I can't remember. It's just amazing what's right in front of you. I think I have some sort of comfrey growing, besides the fuzzy one. I've identified yarrow too, I believe. To think I used to pile all this shit up and burn a bunch of it every year with my brush piles. It's amazing how much you can really accumulate if you try. Sorry for the ramble, but you gotta talk to somebody about it!!

D

daylighting

Even the ash works for your potassum needs and raising pH! :)

Last edited:
B

BlueJayWay

Soooo these are a little over a week in to flower...

picture.php

One side is all no-tills that have flowered 4, 5 or 6 cycles, each time transplanted immediately after harvest. yeehaw, yay no-till's! Some are freshly potted with the collective 2 yr ROLS mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.