What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

the Mexican Landraces Thread

You basically took the words out of my mouth to a T.

Over all they were the nicest plants out of 150. Got some surprising Mango,pineapple and banana from one if the crosses
My biggest columbian dominant is all bubble gum at first, but this overlay of columbian filthy raunch is coming in over it. The flower expression is columbian puyre sativa on that one too. Beautiful fire hair sativa flowers will be coming from her.

My number 4 pheno is coming along slower, but has cherry and pine coming in together. Ive never smelled cherry outside hemp lineages, let alone along side that sinus staining pine we all forgot used to be everywhere and on a flower looking this dangerous this early lol.
455892995_1178272306712626_4423716747534542384_n.jpg 457019779_2226810287682318_1211871398140917275_n.jpg 457076505_1032751961915639_3431049885206425385_n.jpg
More flawless structure and total PM absence too. Excellent natural pest resistant. I had septoria sweep through my patches this year bad. Not one single columbian cross pheno shows a single sign or symtom, every othe rplant i have ranges from a septoria spot and a yellow new growth here and there, to basically dying where they stand. Not the columbian crosses.

They stand there sayin "Come at me bro, good luck :devilish:" PLants from Krypton or something lmao.

Even when it rains, they dont even droop a leaf, they stand proud. They vibe after a rain storm kinda like a labrador that just chased his ball off the dock, and now hes shaking the water off all over you with a smile on his face. I feel like im wasting time shaking the water from their buds tbh.

This is my columbian section immediately following all day long monsoons. They love the rain man, its crazy. The flower:leaf ratio is like nothing ive ever seen outdoors before. I feel like im growing indoor flowers with these things.
IMG_20240901_204048771 (2).jpg IMG_20240901_204027189 (4).jpg

I stopped spraying them for bugs like halfway through veg season, they didnt need it. The columbian cross flowers are on track to finish looking like indoor flower on just about every plant.
IMG_20240831_195552568 (2) (1).jpg

Im not even dreading the harvest and trim of flowers looking like this, im almost looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I also want to ask opinions on this plant. Its not of the columbian cross. I had a commercial breeder friend called tammy back in KC that was playing with land race lineages, she had some mexi red stuff and afgan. Was where i got my mexi red x afghan beans.

I had traded her some of the columbian seed and she gave me a selection of stuff, some of it was Thai land race F1s. Some were supposedly pure thais but... grains of salt and all.... Said she had haze recreation seeds and lots of stuff like that.

Well i spent years not growing, and crisper to crisper most of the sharpie wore off. I popped some of the seed (i think) she gave me, and i think i got lucky and ended up with a thai (F1? maybe) on the first poppings.

I mean, theres really only one pure sativa that looks like this, and flowers this quickly, and has those thick short pistils, right? Who thinks this is a thai plant? Im obviously not sure about anything other then this plant is a total unicorn.

IMG_20240825_175010296 (1) (1).jpg

IMG_20240831_195531672 (2).jpg IMG_20240902_200259316.jpg

Suspected thai foreground. Sativa columbian-dominant pheno background. The columbian branches more. But the suspected thai just grows and flowers out in these "Stick" kinda formations. :unsure::alien:
453786073_1533134000647421_3237161638738109469_n (1).jpg

Back in early august she looked straight up like a high res picture of "thai stick" too. The plant was kinda uncanny. My dad said it gave him chills when i showed him the picture. Took him straight back to vietnam in an almost uncomfortable way. He's spent years ranting about thai stick, and ive popped so many "thais" and he was just like "Nope" every time. But even he thinks this is the real thai land race.
454654593_487301707384083_4280216635916502756_n (1).jpg

THe one thing this pure sativa has that the pure columbian didnt, is the shear high end quality to the flower's look, smell, and texture. Ive never seen another pure sativa produce flowers like this. Short fat pistills, stinks of citrus and fruit. Sticky as hell. And looks like very, very potent flowers. If you touched and smelled this one in person your hairs would stand on end. Im kinda expecting this to be the best looking outdoor flowers ive ever grown, and it was a rando seed pop lol.

My first season on my own land popping rando crisper drawer seeds. Im gonna loose some plants, but these sativa land race genetics have carried the sails, not a single one has a single major issue.. And i dont think ill be growing much of anything else next year. Im converted for life now.

Weather outlook is sunny and upper 70s for the next 2 weeks too. Starting to get irrationally excited about all these sativas out there lol.

Last edited:

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also want to ask opinions on this plant. Its not of the columbian cross. I had a commercial breeder friend called tammy back in KC that was playing with land race lineages, she had some mexi red stuff and afgan. Was where i got my mexi red x afghan beans.

I had traded her some of the columbian seed and she gave me a selection of stuff, some of it was Thai land race F1s. Some were supposedly pure thais but... grains of salt and all.... Said she had haze recreation seeds and lots of stuff like that.

Well i spent years not growing, and crisper to crisper most of the sharpie wore off. I popped some of the seed (i think) she gave me, and i think i got lucky and ended up with a thai (F1? maybe) on the first poppings.

I mean, theres really only one pure sativa that looks like this, and flowers this quickly, and has those thick short pistils, right? Who thinks this is a thai plant? Im obviously not sure about anything other then this plant is a total unicorn.

View attachment 19059407

View attachment 19059405 View attachment 19059406

Suspected thai foreground. Sativa columbian-dominant pheno background. The columbian branches more. But the suspected thai just grows and flowers out in these "Stick" kinda formations. :unsure::alien:
View attachment 19059408

Back in early august she looked straight up like a high res picture of "thai stick" too. The plant was kinda uncanny. My dad said it gave him chills when i showed him the picture. Took him straight back to vietnam in an almost uncomfortable way. He's spent years ranting about thai stick, and ive popped so many "thais" and he was just like "Nope" every time. But even he thinks this is the real thai land race.
View attachment 19059409

THe one thing this pure sativa has that the pure columbian didnt, is the shear high end quality to the flower's look, smell, and texture. Ive never seen another pure sativa produce flowers like this. Short fat pistills, stinks of citrus and fruit. Sticky as hell. And looks like very, very potent flowers. If you touched and smelled this one in person your hairs would stand on end. Im kinda expecting this to be the best looking outdoor flowers ive ever grown, and it was a rando seed pop lol.

My first season on my own land popping rando crisper drawer seeds. Im gonna loose some plants, but these sativa land race genetics have carried the sails, not a single one has a single major issue.. And i dont think ill be growing much of anything else next year. Im converted for life now.

Weather outlook is sunny and upper 70s for the next 2 weeks too. Starting to get irrationally excited about all these sativas out there lol.
Cool 😎

I grew some thai x malawi this summer from ace the golden tiger I crossed the peru to her and the beans will be called golden jaguar lol

As for your thai. Looks like one to be honest more close to Cambodia/vietnamese/ loas

But the thai smell is unmistakable and should be your real indicator

Cool 😎

I grew some thai x malawi this summer from ace the golden tiger I crossed the peru to her and the beans will be called golden jaguar lol

As for your thai. Looks like one to be honest more close to Cambodia/vietnamese/ loas

But the thai smell is unmistakable and should be your real indicator
As far as i know the smell is correct for thai. Strong sharp citrus, like orange zest, no berry, i wouldnt say sweet as much as i would say sharp. You move a branch and your arm hairs are sticky and the entire area goes citrus. No raunch or stank like the columbians. Softer more pastel appearance/color to the flowers, smaller trichomes then the columbian but probably twice as densely covering. The columbian flowers have a spikier appearance to the flowers/sugar leaves even though the fan leaves on the thai are longer and narrower. As a whole plant from a distance the columbian looks spikey whereas the thai has a softer more flowy appearance. From a distance they look very different form each other. More so then up close. The smells could not be further apart from each other either. Can wait to hunt the cross lol.

I keep main meristem clones back of all my phenotypes too.

Last edited:
One of my acapulcos looks exactly like one of your pics tbh

This line is def related to rezdogs sour diesel 110% as a parent View attachment 19059483 View attachment 19059484
she did some things with mexi-reds too and that "thai" could very well be something from them, could be a haze recreation seed from her as well. there were some thai F1 reg crosses and some straight thai reg seeds too.

edit: On second thought it cant be any of the mexi red stuff that was all feminized seed, the pistils are very wrong for that anyway. I had 2/3 males for this seed. I kept pollen to preserve from one, but apparently lost it or through it away by mistake.... (yea, i definitely feel like an idiot there))

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had "permanent " marker rub off so many times.

I just started writing it on masking tape. Bag or bottle. Never hurts to write on paper either and throwing in the container for redundancy.

I've had "permanent " marker rub off so many times.

I just started writing it on masking tape. Bag or bottle. Never hurts to write on paper either and throwing in the container for redundancy.
Well I wasn't exactly planning on it being over half a decade before I kicked a grow off again. But lesson learned lol.

The only reason I could still identify the Columbian F1 was because they were my only seeds in a blue baggie 🙄

The mystery popping has been pretty exciting so far though. It let me do a profile pic finally. That's one of the phenos from the columbian cross budded out indoors in a tent under LED . For whatever reason, these columbians are my most sun-loving plant, but they hate LED's... theres a fine line between burn/magnesium deficiency and etiolation and stretching with these plants indoors. Flowering them under LED can get a bit crispy. My Maui Wowie 86 pheno and my mexi-red x afghan were the same way started indoors under LED. They cannot take more then about 950ppfd or the burn and go magnesium deficient. While my mor modern lineages can take in excess of 1200pffd from led.

Interestingly, the columbian cross can take HPS light so intense, that if you keep temps managed you can even bleach flowers white without showing signs of light burn or heat stress. But not under LED's, no sir. Ive measures 2400+ Pffd from sunlight when it was above 95F here, and they stood happy and proudly while everything else lost tugidity and begged for forgiveness, then got maliced by septoria. Several died. IM fighting PM on them constantly.

Not the columbians. They tell that fungi and stuff to f*ck right off.

Im probably going to move back to using HPS through the winter over LED.

called this one the fast pheno. Was done 8 weeks from flip indoors. 3rd week of september outdoors. Obviously isnt ripe in the pic, it's just one of my all time favorite flower photos. Pushed her a little too hard this go though, was a DWC bucket run, Still love the photo though. Dropped her down into the upper 40s at night second half of lfower with a porta-AC and actually managed to get some color in her too. She took cold better then some of my indica lineages too.
262513383_3940711479365305_5754947141935290288_n.jpg

Pre 2010 bubba kush x gelato on the left, Columbian cross fast pheno on the right. That pheno of this columbian cross was one of my all time favorite daily smokes. Amazing flavor, crazy stank, beautiful flower, dense, and had a good mood, uplifting anxiety free chinese-eyed high you could work or sleep on either one. Ran these two together several times. Two of the most complimentary of each other flowers ive ever had at the same time tbh.
269970973_632538711397784_8092522349653790648_n (1).jpg
265380252_648213962884067_7617009228206313467_n (3).jpg
Actual photographs of me realizing modern sativa's have been ruined genetically, and that im not actually an indica guy, im a sativa guy. I just dont like the modern lineages. They are quite literally like comparing an ice pick to the temple and a panick attack to a hug from a friend you havent seen in forever, and an enjoyable evening catching up.

Them modern sativas be like...
funny-joint-meme (1) (1).jpg

Them oldscool sativas be like....
modern technology (1) (1).JPG

None of that is even the icing on the cake. The columbian cross phenos on top of everything else, are also the highest yielding plants for the space they take ive ever grown.

Last edited:
I had one seed labeled Mexi Red x Afghani. The seed bearer was the Afghani though. So technically it's Afghani x Mexi red. But I built the habit of calling it Mexi red first because of the labeling.

Everyone's just throwing out cross-eyed pugs with high THC ratings and ruining all their flowers with pest and fungal sprays....

This plant has still seen neither since early june. Same as all my other land race crosses. Looks like I got a spider making itself at home now too. I couldn't care less what this things on paper THC % is. Look at it, it's f*cking perfect. 😍
IMG_20240904_125536252.jpg

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How's your hybdrid smell? Hows the mex mix with it?....you def know your stuff! Labels or no labels 😉

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does anyone else have a funny feeling that the "Lord of Loud" created a new account a couple weeks ago and has been having conversations with himself in this thread since then?
Lord of loud has palm tattoos

How's your hybdrid smell? Hows the mex mix with it?....you def know your stuff! Labels or no labels 😉
It's very pungent. Very strong. But not the smell anyone would think looking at the flower, Green tea and eucalyptus currently

If you know what kratom smells like, it's very similar to sticking your face in a bag of fresh red kratom with a, cool to the sinus finish. The smell itself feels cool on the inside of my nose, but not sweet. So I grasp at straws and say eucalyptus finish. Not mentholy at all, has that effect but it's different.

It's very satisfying. She smells like medicine, but in the most pleasant way possible.

She didn't get so big. But she was started in late May. Everything else was started in April. I almost didn't pop her, only had one seed and it was very old.

She's making dense indica buds, but keeping herself open and spaced out, and still managed to cola up. Very glad I cloned her. Gonna try and make s1's with her for sure. That suspected Thai as well.

Her buds are very obviously Afghan dominant, so it her smell, but it's less stanky then your usually Afghan, more pleasant. Every bit as pungent, but less harsh.
IMG_20240904_190432622~2.jpg

IMG_20240905_194138934~2.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a funny feeling that the "Lord of Loud" created a new account a couple weeks ago and has been having conversations with himself in this thread since then?
You can find me at THC farmer under the same name and profile pic if I'm one of the suspected lords of loud. Also no palm tattoos. I find that a fairly absurd thing. No judgement though.

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cool dude thx for answering

Never got nose clearing from any thai....but it's possibly a thai strains north east. More so "border strains" laos. Vietnam. Cambodia.

Def had my nose cleared by outback haze #9. It's like tiger balm drenched in eucalyptus and menthol

That mexi red cross though. She pre-flowered like 4 weeks old but never revegged. started stretching 2nd week of July. And was just stacking budlets before July was even out.

Fastest flowering plant I've ever put out 🤷‍♀️

Cool dude thx for answering

Never got nose clearing from any thai....but it's possibly a thai strains north east. More so "border strains" laos. Vietnam. Cambodia.

Def had my nose cleared by outback haze #9. It's like tiger balm drenched in eucalyptus and menthol
Nah you misunderstood because I ramble lol. all that was describing the Mexi red cross.

I just meant I'm gonna try to make s1's with that suspected Thai too. The Thai is all citrus and a hint of sour right now.

Last edited:
The suspect Thai is starting to foxtail now and still has prob a month to go at least. and some sour notes are coming in but she mainly smells like the orange zest powder in the spice rack lol. Starting to lean toward it being one of the Thai F1 crosses or one of the haze recreation seeds she made

IMG_20240905_190554350~3.jpg

IMG_20240905_190502600~2.jpg

IMG_20240905_191526759.jpg IMG_20240905_191535692.jpg

The one thing all the land race lineage plants seem to share in common, is that they perform as well outdoors as these modern lineages so indoors. These plants never turned out like this for me indoors. I popped em here just because I had room. Outdoors they have straight up blown my mind.

P.s. I'm not trying to sell seeds, or clones, nor trade. And no idea who this lord of loud is. However, i have seeds on the way and will happily share them, no dollars or trades involved, but im not here to hype strains or try and make sells, just talk to people who may know what theyre talking about with plants like this, Because most growers of today have never even seen plants like these growing in person let alone grown any of em outside. These are special plants and it's reinvigorating to discover them first hand. Havent been this excited about growing cannabis is a long time. It's been a rough season for septoria and stuff here. These plant's are carrying my entire season on their shoulders at this point, and not even breaking a sweat.

Last edited: