What's new

the Hand Watering coco thread

DaveBowman

I finally made the formal move to coco and I'm about to harvest my last soil plant next week. I've learned a lot from this thread over the years and I'm having insane success and growth handwatering coco. Great knowledge in here.

...CR500AF...

I do the same with coco hand feed through veg, then hook them into the rez for flower.🙂

Sorry for the turbo kinda posting, but it took me nearly three years to get to fifty posts on overgrow thought i do it a little quicker this time. lol

chiesesganja

I am growing one plant under a 400w hps in a 16litre storage box.

I use monsta bud by Ozigrow. This has been supplemented with epsom salts every third or so watering and i have given doses of molasses, wormcastings, seasol (kelp) and just recently bat guano...

I also have given her a lil bit of superthrive and rhizotonic.

I water her usually every second day.
u watering soil like that?

Fiet

I switch back to Canna A+B from Micro and Bloom because you always have more Micro than Bloom left A+B it's the same ratio... Do you guys add cal/mag to the RO A+B solution?

LostTribe

Premium user
I switch back to Canna A+B from Micro and Bloom because you always have more Micro than Bloom left A+B it's the same ratio... Do you guys add cal/mag to the RO A+B solution?
You arent suppose to run RO with canna nutes. I was but its pointless and a waste of money. Its made to run on a range of tap ec's. I bumped my tap to .4ec with a tab bit of cal mag+. No deficiencies across multiple strains feeding same res tank. I just followed the chart. I subbed hydroplex for cannazyme in bloom. its the same ratio 0-2-1 but I used the appropriate amount. Probably much less than the cannazyme. Great results. I might go back to PBP after I am out just because its one bottle vs several.

Fiet

You arent suppose to run RO with canna nutes. I was but its pointless and a waste of money. Its made to run on a range of tap ec's. I bumped my tap to .4ec with a tab bit of cal mag+. No deficiencies across multiple strains feeding same res tank. I just followed the chart. I subbed hydroplex for cannazyme in bloom. its the same ratio 0-2-1 but I used the appropriate amount. Probably much less than the cannazyme. Great results. I might go back to PBP after I am out just because its one bottle vs several.

You think i don't have to add cal/mag if i using Tap water for my reservoir?? My Tap is i belive 0,4 i test it put later i think 0,4 ore 0,5.

StickyBandit

I was thinking of doing some coco grows with canna coco and rainwater. Do I need to add anything?
I have some 2 gallon fabric pots and some Blumats

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
I was thinking of doing some coco grows with canna coco and rainwater. Do I need to add anything?
I have some 2 gallon fabric pots and some Blumats
I was told it was designed for tap water. I would add cal mag + up to .4 to .5ec until late bloom. I swapped hydroplex in for cannazyme in week 3 and used it for bloom boost as well. Cheaper and more concentrated with same ratio of MPK.

StickyBandit

I was told it was designed for tap water. I would add cal mag + up to .4 to .5ec until late bloom. I swapped hydroplex in for cannazyme in week 3 and used it for bloom boost as well. Cheaper and more concentrated with same ratio of MPK.
I have rainwater coming out my taps :)
I've not been adding any calmag to any of my soil grows but I'm using bio canna and adding a little calcium nitrate. I was reading somewhere magnesium is only required in very small amounts and most soils contain enough already.
Which makes me wonder if I may as well stay with soil for the Blumat system but use the coco nutes? Hmmm, so many options...

Last edited:

Synthettek

I finally made the formal move to coco and I'm about to harvest my last soil plant next week. I've learned a lot from this thread over the years and I'm having insane success and growth handwatering coco. Great knowledge in here.
Reporting back two years later and I haven't looked back from hand watering coco. I can't believe how easy it is. I haven't had a single overfed, yellow, or sick looking leaf since making the switch to coco from soil. I just hand water until a little runoff each day and it works like magic.

I was nervous about checking pH, EC and all that jazz since I was coming from soil but actually what worked (for me) is that I found my baseline of my tap doesn't change. So once I had my ratio of how much nutes and pH down per Gal, I've just followed that the past year and a half and haven't check pH in like a year and have had zero issues, no nute issues, no lockout, burn, nothing. I understand not everyone can get away with this given their water source, but for me it is working and makes coco super easy for me.

The only thing I haven't mastered is starting seeds in pure coco. What I do now is I have a coco-based seed starting soil that I use in solo cups. Once the seedlings are ready to transplant, I transplant the whole soil plug into a coco 3 gal fabric pot and have never had an issue, they just take off after transplanting.

Clones are easy. I use a simple bubbler cloner with just water and an airstone. Once I get solid roots, I transplant into my final coco mix and clones get full strength nutes from the start and I've never had an issue, they just start growing like crazy after a day or so.

I've found that I'm able to grow much bigger plants, much quicker in smaller containers than soil. For example, I typically use 3 gallon fabric pots to flower in, but I'd probably do 5 gal in soil and the plants still wouldn't even be as big as my 3 gal coco ladies.

Just some words of encouragement to anyone who sees this. I was nervous about making the switch as I was a pure soil guy from the beginning when I started growing in '06. Coco is easier than soil. I didn't believe the people who said it when I read it back then, but I promise you it really is. Better results too if you aren't completely fucking up.

brickweeder

...The only thing I haven't mastered is starting seeds in pure coco. What I do now is I have a coco-based seed starting soil that I use in solo cups. Once the seedlings are ready to transplant, I transplant the whole soil plug into a coco 3 gal fabric pot and have never had an issue, they just take off after transplanting.
I just start my seeds in 1.5" rock wool cubes, when I see roots I plant the cube in coco...smooth as silk transition and the rock wool always takes the helmet off the seeds.

Synthettek

I just start my seeds in 1.5" rock wool cubes, when I see roots I plant the cube in coco...smooth as silk transition and the rock wool always takes the helmet off the seeds.
Thanks for the tip, I've never fucked around with rockwool before other than a couple of clones I bought that I had shipped to me once. But you are absolutely right, the transition was seamless into the coco container.

Maybe I should buy some and mess around with them with my bagseeds which are low risk. Thanks again.

aliceklar

Thanks for the tip, I've never fucked around with rockwool before other than a couple of clones I bought that I had shipped to me once. But you are absolutely right, the transition was seamless into the coco container.

Maybe I should buy some and mess around with them with my bagseeds which are low risk. Thanks again.
Bagseed are great to play around with. Nothing lost if they fail, and once in a while you get a gem.

Out of interest, what happened when you tried to germ in coco? I've been sowing directly into 1-3 litre pots of coco, one knuckle deep, watering in, and have had no problems (better results generally than when I grew in compost)

ridoo

I start all my seeds directly in the container they gonna grow, ad most time in the container they also gonna flower

i use coco bricks

each brick is hydrated with
1ml canna A /1L
1ml canna B /1L
canna root stimulator /1L
ph 5.8

and each brick need usually kind of 3L

this fill the containers, i wait a little that gravity makes excessive water goes down and drained a little, i remove this drain or let it go, not lettin containers feet in stagnant water is the point

when this gravity drain is made, usually next day, i can put seed in, usually make a little hole 0.5cm on top of container, put the seed inside, cover the seed gently, i don't push on, i don't add more coco or whatever, i cover with the coco from the digging of the hole

then i water a little with same solution as the one used for hydrate the bricks, 1L is enough for water all the seed spot, so
1ml canna A
1ml canna B
root stimulator cana for 1L
ph 5.8

i do this watering doing like a little rain, doin small holes in the bottle cap where the solution was made, and upside down, let it rain, gentle, coco over the seed don't have to be crushed or pushed by water impact, water around the seed spot also, slowly

I repeat this watering 1 or 2 days after the first one, then again 2 days later or 3, depends of weather conditions at the time, if air is hot cold wet dry and so on, adjust, coco must be wet and aerated all the time, not dry, not soggy, color of the top coco is good indicator, dark brown is good, lighter is to much dry, dark brighten is to much wet

I continue this till seeds pop up outside coco alone, i do not help them, i use some 12V vents inside the tent so there is always some wind, i always take care that the babes moves a little because of that wind, not like in a tornado, but a little sport room

I kind of never had lost seeds, maybe 1 sometimes, just start another one, repeat, and so on

after some time i adjust nuts level sure, when real grow time start, and make sure there is always run off, and stable ph...

my 2 cents :)

Latest posts

Latest posts