What's new

The Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related

hellfire

You Can't Win - Jack Black

A tale of early 20th century train hopping, bum skullduggery, general thievery and prison. Non fiction.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Been on a book kick. some of my favorites so far...

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Influence: the psychology of persuasion by Robert Cialdini
Think and Grow rich by Napolean Hill
How to win friends and influence people by dale Carnegie
Rich dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki

As you can see Im more the student of the mind/seeker of knowledge and wisdom type than the story book type. These books have permanently changed the way I think, Wish I would have started reading a long time ago...

Does anybody have any recommendations for books that have powerful/life changing wisdom and lessons in them, let me know! Im open to story books too as long as it has some good stuff in it like the alchemist, that book was amazing.

hellfire

The Alchemist is a great book.

Some similar books I can think of:
The Secret of the Golden Flower
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
The Kybalion (short, kind of beginner level)
The Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P Hall

If you want to dive deep...
Temple in Man by R.A. Schwaller de Lubicz

Green Squall

Rush by Kim Wozencraft

I've seen the movie many times but didn't know it was based on a book. Same basic plot buts its playing out differently.

edit: this book was fucking crazy. highly recommended.

St. Phatty

What's his name Connelly that writes who-dun-it type books staged in LA.

He makes LA seem NICE and neighborhoody and affordable and real. That is no small trick.

Bud_Man10

Veteran
Great read...

Peace
BM

Attachments

• book-testimony-robertson.jpg
    book-testimony-robertson.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 20
Everyone is reading such great books. I have been working my way through "The Cannabis Breeder's Bible" by Greg Green. It seems to be a great book on the depths of breeding a strain and the science behind it.

Every morning I also enjoy a few excerpts from "Confessions of a Barbarian" the diary of Edward Abbey. He was quite the philosopher.

Dr. Fred

I've read some great books lately Solaris by Stanislaw Lem and The Black Cloud by Fred Hoyle are a couple that really stand out.

Green Squall

Riding The Iron Rooster.

I'm really enjoying these Paul Theroux travel books. This one's about traveling China by rail in the 1980's.

geneva_sativa

Heh heh. . . yeah he has a lot of great insights into the cultures he traverses. . . but sometimes I have to cringe at some of his statements !

but at least he calls it as he sees it, good reads !

Green Squall

Heh heh. . . yeah he has a lot of great insights into the cultures he traverses. . . but sometimes I have to cringe at some of his statements !

but at least he calls it as he sees it, good reads !

lol yes, he can sometimes be a little cruel in the way he describes some people, but your right, he calls it as he see's it.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
"The Greatest Salesman in the World" By Og Mandino.

This one isn't just for salesmen, it's a reprogramming manual for replacing your accumulated bad habits with very good ones. Everyone wants to be successful in life, yes? :) Awesomely powerful information and method.

"Influence The Psychology of Persuasion"
This one will teach you the basic triggers present in every (normal) human brain and how to recognize and guard against being manipulated by them. Very cool stuff. :)

Green Squall

Scar Tissue. Anthony Kiedis's autobiography. There's some crazy stories in there.

After that I'm going to to read another Theroux travel book - Dark Star Safari.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Does anybody have any recommendations for books that have powerful/life changing wisdom and lessons in them, let me know! Im open to story books too as long as it has some good stuff in it like the alchemist, that book was amazing.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reading the current issue of Cooks Illustrated.

Which due to a glitch in their website software I have been getting for free since last year. Soon I will find out if it carries over again.

No, it's not a book. Haven't read much lately and can't even recall the last time I scoured a used book store.

Last edited:

geneva_sativa

Recently read Mowat's - Never Cry Wolf

I had seen and loved the movie back in early 80's and watched it again in the 90's but hadn't read the book.

Would definitely recommend it.

Simple and profound. Insightful, yet allows the reader to realize these on his/her own.

Add in a dash of comedy of the human condition, definitely a keeper for me !