What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Thai Sticks: S̄̀ng xxk kạỵchā 1960 -1980s

acespicoli

Thai Sticks - S̄̀ng xxk kạỵchā 1960 - 1980s

1727963679310.png

Interested in imports & exports from 1960s - 1980s from South East Asia please share info
Current landrace Sativa status in SE Asia would be interesting to hear about

Old news paper clippings and photos :thinking:
:smokeit:

เชิญ - Welcome :huggg:

Attachments

• screenshot-www_icmag_com-2024_10_03-10_32_39.png
    screenshot-www_icmag_com-2024_10_03-10_32_39.png
    61.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Southeast-Asia-Map.jpg
    Southeast-Asia-Map.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 7100000.jpg
    7100000.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Thai Cannabis 1977.png
    Thai Cannabis 1977.png
    997.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Dang I miss those. The all time pinnacle of Canabis breeding, cultivation, and presentation.

I did get some Sumatran which were loose, golden brown, larger buds. They weren't as cleanly trimmed so I could see the crocodile tail type of serrations that the Thai leaves also had. Very similar taste and high. I heard later that Thai Sticks where in such demand that they started growing it in other regions. This was the early 70s.

I'm trying to tease out the Thai genetics out of "modern" (spit) hybrids. The ones that seem to lean Thai, drop their leaves. I spend a significant amount of time pulling off dead or dying leaves off the buds. It's similar to your picture above.

20240304_101452.jpg
20240312_105935.jpg

This is often how a young Thai plant looked.

GypsyThaiTall.jpg
AgypsyThai.jpg
GypsyCrossNevPhenoSerrations.jpg

I appologize if I am too much off topic. These are not from Thailand, but the genetics, though diluted, are originally from there.

Last edited:

SaveTheBrains

Dang I miss those. The all time pinnacle of Canabis breeding, cultivation, and presentation.

I did get some Sumatran which were loose, golden brown, larger buds. They weren't as cleanly trimmed so I could see the crocodile tail type of serrations that the Thai leaves also had. Very similar taste and high. I heard later that Thai Sticks where in such demand that they started growing it in other regions. This was the early 70s.

I'm trying to tease out the Thai genetics out of "modern" (spit) hybrids. The ones that seem to lean Thai, drop their leaves. I spend a significant amount of time pulling off dead or dying leaves off the buds. It's similar to your picture above.

View attachment 19077875 View attachment 19077874

This is often how a young Thai plant looked.

View attachment 19077881 View attachment 19077879 View attachment 19077880

I appologize if I am too much off topic. These are not from Thailand, but the genetics, though diluted, are originally from there.
Do u see any similarities?
Copy of DSC02598_result.jpg
DSC02573_result.jpg
1728282983742.jpeg

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
100_0385.JPG

Kroeng Krawia from Northcoast. These 3 are clones, with one on the top of pic failing to grow much. The clone in the bottom of pic is not wanting to grow even after two applications of rooting powder and several weeks in the cup.

The bigger plant in the middle is finally growing a bit after a long time in the pot. It required two doses of rooting powder to even get roots. The smoke I feel would satisfy most old time Thai smokers. I never had actual Thai smoke but did get to look at it. It looked like the pics in the op's post. hehe

This is the best of the Asian lines I have tried. The Burmese was about as trippy but this Kroeng is longer lasting, more potent and more euphoric. ILE was the Burmese but I think RSC is the same line.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Do u see any similarities?
Sure do! Most of what I got in the old days had pretty darn skinny leaves, but one time I grew a seed from a stick that had fatter leaves just like the one in your last picture. Just beautiful Brains.

Hempy, look at you throwing down the goods with those pictures! Dang, dude! Looking GOOD. :dance013: You've been holding out on us. LOL.

I'm so pleased all you peeps are keeping these genetics and this thread alive.

acespicoli - I know you are looking for some old photos. I have some, but I think they came from the same source as the pic that you posted. Should I post them here? I'm guessing you might have them also. Are you O.K. with people's living examples and closely related living examples? I know I'm digging what has been shared so far.

Thanks for starting this thread ascespicoli.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
1728312279312.png

Is this a picture on the day of harvest?

The best weed I ever grew or smoked was harvested after every single pistil had died. To be fair, other strains seemed to be better when they looked like your picture, a tiny scattering of white pistils left. Another plant I had indoors would never stop throwing pistils even after nine months! That was from the seeds I'm growing outdoors now. It's killing me. I'm attempting to manipulate nitrogen starvation and drought to get them to look finished completely.

elchischas

Veteran
View attachment 19079893

Is this a picture on the day of harvest?

The best weed I ever grew or smoked was harvested after every single pistil had died. To be fair, other strains seemed to be better when they looked like your picture, a tiny scattering of white pistils left. Another plant I had indoors would never stop throwing pistils even after nine months! That was from the seeds I'm growing outdoors now. It's killing me. I'm attempting to manipulate nitrogen starvation and drought to get them to look finished completely.
Which one was that strain? A Thai?

Did you grew it outdoors?

ThaiBliss

Veteran
O.K., I'm trying to build my karma back up for veering off track so much on this thread. I believe this is is a screenshot I grabbed from a special on Netflix. This is an old photo they used when discussing the history of Thai Stick production.

Thai Stick Netflix.png

I tried looking for a picture of a young Thai plant published in the book "Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers" by Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hofmann & Christian Ratsch. If anyone can find that, the picture would be a great addition to this thread.

In that book, I remember a quote, something to the effect that Thai people would plant cannabis plants in the most honored place in their garden, next to the compost heap. This reinforced my belief that better ganja comes from plants that have a nitrogen deficit as the buds ripen.

Anyway, I remember that picture being very representative of the numerous plants I attempted to grow with the rare seeds found in Thai Sticks.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Here is a sister of that jagged leaf serrated plant I posted at the beginning of this thread. This sister is not the spitting image of how I saw Thai Stick plants looking back in the day, but it is one of the skinnier leaved examples I have from Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick x (Neville's Haze 21 x Mullumbimby Madness) seeds this year. I believe both of the grandparents in parenthesis have Thai Stick in their ancestry.

I admit that I think this looks more like a Haze plant, but then again, I don't think the Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick plant looks representative of the experience I had of plants from Thai Sticks back in the 70s. It does have the aroma, with it's sharp, sour citric, spicy aroma that triggers my memories.

20241007_090445.jpg

Here is another picture of the same plant, but with last year's most Thai looking plant that reveged, and is flowering again. It's leafy as heck. I pull off dead and dying bud leaflets often.

20241007_090639.jpg

Latest posts

Latest posts