What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

led05

Chasing The Present
Volunteer plant - most likely Laotian & Cambodian but could be Cambodian x 12 Fingers Oaxacan

Plant on right
B13CCF40-331A-46E3-8DF6-BA47082A792D.jpeg

69F3EFBA-7BC3-42AC-8CBC-D7066EC2FA17.jpeg

0CB7D09B-D565-4EFE-9035-39838E011749.jpeg

29710942-7C37-4AAD-A29D-0CE8610EFDC3.jpeg

DA70EE53-D901-4AB4-9677-F39E358CE26E.jpeg

15047F28-FBDB-4775-8F71-92C19CAFC0E6.jpeg

599E61BD-350B-4457-BAD9-E92FE4206BBA.jpeg

laszlokovacs

You nailed it with every single post bro :love:
Seriously impressive man- hes right every pic is stunning!

Id guess you have at least 35lbs romas there? Either way their all pretty little beauties- do you know what theyre called? I'm guessing you make sauce out of the paste type tomatoes. What do you do with the heirlooms/slicers if you preserve them or anything? I had an overwhelming amount of big beefsteak type heirlooms of a couple types and can't keep up with eating them all. Vac-sealed about a dozen in batches and froze them- dont think they'll hold up to well for fresh eating. Been trying to give away a bunch of tomatoes, zucchini, eggplants to the neighbors. Last couple weekends I carried 60+ lbs of food over a mile to a community fridge/pantry in my city- would do it again every week but i end up with a huge bruise on my hip from the bags swinging when I walk lol.

Interesting looking ghosts. How many generations have you taken them. Do you eat em? cook with them? dehydrate them? I have a bhut jolokia plant but not sure I really want to eat them, getting cold feet now! the other hot peppers are super hot already lol. I think the drought intensifies the spiciness and its been a super dry one here.

I really admire your self sufficiency. I'm quickly learning that if you want something done right you pretty much have to do it yourself! Made some nice looking but ok tasting pizzas on saturday with some margherita some eggplant + peppers. Thought I would save time/work and buy premade dough/crusts from the local 'artisan'/well regarded bakery. Big mistake! The pizza dough(s) I usually make are always way better!! Here are some pics of recent pizzas, I really dont take many pics, always finish eating something that turned out nice and realize I forgot to take a picture lol. Anyway these turned out ok- homemade dough all day long- big fan of the 00 flour. My san marzanos were a bit late to produce, hope I can get a bunch of nice jars of pizza sauce out of them before the season ends soon.
IMG_4493 2.jpg

IMG_3319.JPG
IMG_1786.JPG

led05

Chasing The Present
Seriously impressive man- hes right every pic is stunning!

Id guess you have at least 35lbs romas there? Either way their all pretty little beauties- do you know what theyre called? I'm guessing you make sauce out of the paste type tomatoes. What do you do with the heirlooms/slicers if you preserve them or anything? I had an overwhelming amount of big beefsteak type heirlooms of a couple types and can't keep up with eating them all. Vac-sealed about a dozen in batches and froze them- dont think they'll hold up to well for fresh eating. Been trying to give away a bunch of tomatoes, zucchini, eggplants to the neighbors. Last couple weekends I carried 60+ lbs of food over a mile to a community fridge/pantry in my city- would do it again every week but i end up with a huge bruise on my hip from the bags swinging when I walk lol.

Interesting looking ghosts. How many generations have you taken them. Do you eat em? cook with them? dehydrate them? I have a bhut jolokia plant but not sure I really want to eat them, getting cold feet now! the other hot peppers are super hot already lol. I think the drought intensifies the spiciness and its been a super dry one here.

I really admire your self sufficiency. I'm quickly learning that if you want something done right you pretty much have to do it yourself! Made some nice looking but ok tasting pizzas on saturday with some margherita some eggplant + peppers. Thought I would save time/work and buy premade dough/crusts from the local 'artisan'/well regarded bakery. Big mistake! The pizza dough(s) I usually make are always way better!! Here are some pics of recent pizzas, I really dont take many pics, always finish eating something that turned out nice and realize I forgot to take a picture lol. Anyway these turned out ok- homemade dough all day long- big fan of the 00 flour. My san marzanos were a bit late to produce, hope I can get a bunch of nice jars of pizza sauce out of them before the season ends soon.
View attachment 18753386
View attachment 18753384 View attachment 18753385
Definitely been a year of feast, everyone I’ve talked to just trying to unload lol, speaking of; I just finished the farm stand ! Thanks for stopping by & kind words; especially these days & food self sufficiency is paying off hugely… We can’t get a comparable meal out no matter how hard we try or spend, so have just stopped trying… Eat in

Beautiful work up there buddy

The romas are two types, Speckled Roman & Amish Paste, I’ve tried many types over years, and selected down to these for here… that proofing tray weighed 56.4lbs !

Ghosts Chillies are blend of a few, Carolina Reaper being one of them, been growing them & selecting at least 10 generations now as I do inside too… they are 1-2mil scoville range peppers, perhaps more some are just insane… I pickle them, dry them, sauce them, salsa them

Heirloom tomatoes you can sauce too, we do just not nearly as efficient… we give hundreds of lbs away ever year and still feed the compost beast twice that… but it’s all circular and gets used here again, nothing ever leaves but true trash….

This way it’s still my work bench, and a huge farm stand when needed, umbrella is 11’ x 8’ so decent size… I have tall garage and I plumbed natural gas heater in there, insulated it - 600 SF + - with 11’ tall ceilings man cave, and sometimes part Sativa Palace :)

CBD11591-A4E8-47D7-89B4-4C4CA6DB605B.jpeg

Last edited:

laszlokovacs

Ohh I see you with that farm stand pal! Yup you know the deal, trying to unload as much as possible and still have too much. First time I gave stuff to my neighbors they asked if I sold them all the time, I think i'll try to sell some next year- i'm sure I could get a nice return in NYC if i get all my stuff in order.

I've heard of the famous amish paste, will definitely give those a shot next year, probably the speckled romas too! Cheaped out on my vegetable seeds this year cuz i spent so much on cannabis seeds lol. My favorite part about winter and the growing season being nearly over is I can start looking at and buying more seeds for next year! Can't wait till croptober too, if this is how good homegrown food is I can't wait for homegrown cannabis.

Those bunches of carrots a couple posts back look flawless, like almost fake/plastic to me. I'm sure that lady will claim its all natural beauty but she looks so good like she had some work done. Totally giving everyone else veggie-dysmorphia :ROFLMAO:

Oh and I see you posting some beautiful bundles of garlic, gonna try my hand at planting some in a couple weeks I think. Any suggestions for varieties that do well in the area? I think im a little further south than you at 42N but relatively short growing season (Avg first frost sept 30ish)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Same deal here, 8’ tall or so not to poke too much above the fence; yesterday I bent over 25-30 tops on the SE Asian Volunteer, the tallest ones easily 10’ - no matter how many times I tie or bend this girl down she keeps reaching for the stars

View attachment 18755501

@Donald Mallard - reminds me some of your one GH Laotian huh buddy :)
View attachment 18755502

View attachment 18755503

View attachment 18755504
yes has that out of control look to her for sure ,
any ideas what she is mate ??? i love vigorous girls like that ...

led05

Chasing The Present
yes has that out of control look to her for sure ,
any ideas what she is mate ??? i love vigorous girls like that ...
Octopus’s to extreme

Laotian x Cambodian is most likely, could be Cambodian x Oax 12 Fingers too; I’d say 90/95% chance it’s pure SE Asian; she’d be over 15’ tall if I’ve not broken and tied her down 4-5 times now….

If I get seeds out of her I’m lucky; you know what begins here soon enough…. :)

40ACD427-BC0D-47BF-A1C6-FA145D1464B3.jpeg

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yea she looks like an asian lass to me also , lovely sprawling habit on her ,
probably only just start to flower by the time it gets too cold ,
you ll have to build a green house over the top of her i think ledo , hehe ..