What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

led05

Chasing The Present
a buddy collected these while traveling to Madagascar last year or year before...... He's a wonderful soul, fantastic younger grower and gentleman, if you'd like to be named please speak up, imagine quite a few already know whom got these....

Ampakafo Village

1661899925714.png

1661899935124.png

1661899946276.png

1661899952716.png

Cambodian x Molokai Frost, later to become known as Cambolokai

1661899981955.png

1661899988819.png

1661899997044.png

1661900005423.png

1661900018065.png

1661900025397.png

led05

Chasing The Present
Dang what a thread!!
Thank you
I totally agree :love:
—————

This thread is amazing. I can feel all the work you do in my bones as well :giggle: Still stunning!

Cheers,

Calle
and to you too as well

@ 4 years or so ago a buddy gave me a bunch of old Santa Marta Gold seed, seed that is not attached to any banks, but given to him by an older women decades ago, he then shared with me to do a reproduction, I call this bulking, effectively the same thing...

I found a few old pictures, unfortunately most have been deleted but here's a few..... I made thousands of these seeds, shared them with many, donated them to a store etc, they are around..... they grew nearly like clones, had very much an old heirloom feel to them all around, very slow out the gates.... I used 14 males and 14 females, that just happened to be how many seeds came up and the split that was....

I grew I believe these start to finish in 2 liter containers, maybe 3, I forget for sure..... They turned out OK considering, they are not the easiest plants to grow but exceptional for breeding and offering back vigor to many of the other Colombian lines around. IMO They are mostly unrelated or related far back in the distant past, they give back very good vigor to things like the Purple SMC, 1970's Colombian, all the varying Hazes many of which are extremely inbred, PR, Colombian black etc, while keeping it all Colombian.....or mostly in the case of haze(s)

1661995157425.png

1661995206129.png

1661995220429.png

1661995240695.png

1661995305378.png

1661995324119.png

1661995337926.png

1661995356438.png

1661995374067.png

1661995396337.png

laszlokovacs

This is exactly How it all begins my friend ! You’re doomed for sure :love: - I originally planted 22 apple trees, I’m down to 14 and 11 varietals IIRC, however none are espaliered - not sure pic you’re referencing, we’ve also got raspberry, serviceberry, blueberry, peach, pear and Asian pears growing here…
Haha yeah I'm doomed no doubt about it. I think I can live with it if I end up with anything a fraction as nice as your space though! Lots to do for next year and the planning never stops.

Those are some really beautiful and unique plants. I've always really loved the super NLD style plants, I only wish they could finish outside in the northeast- but never tried to be fair. They all look great indoors- you're killing it(y). Whats with the two types of seeds on the second to last post if you don't mind me asking? Are they all SMG or crosses w the SMG/different parents or something?

Mattbho

Wow epic!!!! brother , those cukes were like canadian footballs . The colors oh my. You sir have 2 green thumbs !!!

Can I ask a couple questions ? What kind of inputs did you add to the dead soil . I imagine a butload of compost year after year . Did you do much soil testing ? How long did land take to become productive . Did you grow much the 2nd season?

Looks mostly organic farming except for the sativas, i have to ask whats your secret? Those outdoor beauties look damn near flawless just past flowerset . Like perfect not too dark not too light green .

led05

Chasing The Present
Haha yeah I'm doomed no doubt about it. I think I can live with it if I end up with anything a fraction as nice as your space though! Lots to do for next year and the planning never stops.

Those are some really beautiful and unique plants. I've always really loved the super NLD style plants, I only wish they could finish outside in the northeast- but never tried to be fair. They all look great indoors- you're killing it(y). Whats with the two types of seeds on the second to last post if you don't mind me asking? Are they all SMG or crosses w the SMG/different parents or something?
Just keep experimenting every year & improving and it never gets old :)

Seeds in one pic are SMG on right and just average sized ones I did as comparison; SMG seeds are small, well over 100 / gram… I’ve got lots seeds; these are just ones I leave in a drawer so I don’t have to fish thru fridges or freezers

E4D2B934-788F-489C-8F4C-8975D9ECD86F.jpeg

Wow epic!!!! brother , those cukes were like canadian footballs . The colors oh my. You sir have 2 green thumbs !!!

Can I ask a couple questions ? What kind of inputs did you add to the dead soil . I imagine a butload of compost year after year . Did you do much soil testing ? How long did land take to become productive . Did you grow much the 2nd season?

Looks mostly organic farming except for the sativas, i have to ask whats your secret? Those outdoor beauties look damn near flawless just past flowerset . Like perfect not too dark not too light green .
Thank you

The top soil here was largely pulled off, what was left wasn’t dead just needed working, actually what is left limestone, shale & clay loam is great but with necessary improvements… I built a lot of things here (barn, GH, tons pavers etc), and dug deep into earth moving that @ while bringing in hundreds of yards of sand, compost, top soil and built that up over the years… everything is organic here…

I’m sure the one volunteer NLD that’s Laos x Cambodian won’t finish but the 30 yr old EP/Sk x Sk is likely too….

They are actually growing in like a 300 gallon fabric pot that I just stick a lot of rotten fruit in fall in, plus leafs etc - it’s pretty much a 300G worm bin..

Maybe That’s why the plants look like this without doing anything at all… I may have watered twice when it didn’t rain for 6-7 weeks, that’s it…., let the plants do the work for us, leave ‘‘em alone… sing sweet nothings to ‘‘em every now & then

FD091E83-A150-4E2E-9D8F-A2560FD83496.jpeg

6E8D3387-7083-4C4F-B9F7-39ECF23837E1.jpeg

0B44DD84-28FD-4191-BB4F-5533372FC79F.jpeg

1E5227FB-D9D2-437B-B612-52F5B79C9D37.jpeg

18A16D52-25CD-406B-A8FC-532B74D25400.jpeg

7D309337-2A7B-405F-BF2B-2F8F3A34D12E.jpeg

5152C1FF-06B5-4A60-ADC6-7BA3C7785A53.jpeg

4CF3E66B-B05E-40F1-A02D-BFC0AF7DF7A2.jpeg

funkyhorse

Ledo, what you do is very interesting. I think this is how a succesful microsociety in a overpopulated world could survive and make it a sustainable living
I started growing outdoors just 2 years ago, I got stuck here with coronavirus so I rented a place a 5th or 6th of your area and thats how I started. I never grew anything in my life before being a nomad, so I have no clue. I learn with experience
I have questions I hope you dont mind, you show different interesting things
Do you have wildlife, bugs, plant pests over there? If you do, how do you manage not to bring the outdoor bugs indoors?

I see you live in a cold full of ice environment. What is your outdoor season? Can you heat the outdoor greenhouses?

I use the vegetables to renew the soil. Half year or less is cannabis and 6-7 months is my salad and tomatoes
I dont like lettuce, I am growing rocket/arugula I like very much. I just tried some kale but it flowered out, I will try again. This is a new greenhouse and it gets real hot, tropical rainforest weather far from the tropics. I am trying beetroot for the first time too
Rúcula (3).jpeg

This year I am trying garlic for the first time. How long it takes until ready?
I just planted them a week ago and they are happy.

I can imagine how your cambodian smokes, I smoked cambodians for almost 20 years. I can imagine how your vegetables taste
But for beef and pizza things are much more difficult. Every beef lover country has different ways of cutting beef cuts, different ways of growing cows and different styles of cooking and eating. Same goes for pizza

I have never been in Usa so I am curious
What is this you are showing? You buy it like this frozen at the supermarket or in vacuum bags from butcher shops?
It looks like different pieces of beef ensambled together with fat. Is this beeflot? I see you use oil on top of it. I would use the own fat to grease the surface of the cooking area. Do you cook this with electricity? If you do, is there any way you can control the temperature while cooking with electricity? I found you cant regulate it well as you do with gas cooking
1AF98895-755E-4601-AD6C-227D6CC24C19.jpeg

Is this rump stake? How do you cook it? Very high fire in a short time? How many minutes cooking? Looks like 5-10 minutes at most
5759F826-2F56-4030-A91D-D81410607533.jpeg

What is this cut?
457482D3-7BFA-4BF5-8463-2B73987673FA.jpeg

This one looks like natural unprocessed cut beef for stews, what cut is it?
323C198F-646A-477F-AA72-1BB0DFC7B056.jpeg

This is for comparison, it is not easy to find this stuff where I live, I am lucky
This below is a striploin I cut myself. I buy about 4 pounds of striploin at the butcher and I cut it transversally instead of longitudinally
This is from grass fed cow. I dont eat feedlot beef. For me grassfed is sativa and feedlot is indica
This is Punto Rojo steak. This is one pound/450grams. You laugh and are happy at life after eating this marvel
I cook it 45 minutes in a beefsteak pan in very low gas fire, almost as low fire as the one you use for cooking rice. I like it well done and well cooked. Tenderness is not related to fat
The difference in the amount of fat in Usa beef and southamerican grass fed is h-u-g-e
corte transversal.jpeg

Same like with cannabis, all market here is for indicas and sativas are a bad word and all beef is beeflot and grassfed is disregarded.
Thanks for showing, this is very interesting. Gravy is also very difficult to imagine what is their taste
Have a nice day!

Attachments

• Garlic,spring onion arugula.jpeg
    Garlic,spring onion arugula.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 58

led05

Chasing The Present
Ledo, what you do is very interesting. I think this is how a succesful microsociety in a overpopulated world could survive and make it a sustainable living
I started growing outdoors just 2 years ago, I got stuck here with coronavirus so I rented a place a 5th or 6th of your area and thats how I started. I never grew anything in my life before being a nomad, so I have no clue. I learn with experience
I have questions I hope you dont mind, you show different interesting things
Do you have wildlife, bugs, plant pests over there? If you do, how do you manage not to bring the outdoor bugs indoors?

I see you live in a cold full of ice environment. What is your outdoor season? Can you heat the outdoor greenhouses?

I use the vegetables to renew the soil. Half year or less is cannabis and 6-7 months is my salad and tomatoes
I dont like lettuce, I am growing rocket/arugula I like very much. I just tried some kale but it flowered out, I will try again. This is a new greenhouse and it gets real hot, tropical rainforest weather far from the tropics. I am trying beetroot for the first time too
View attachment 18751520
This year I am trying garlic for the first time. How long it takes until ready?
I just planted them a week ago and they are happy.

I can imagine how your cambodian smokes, I smoked cambodians for almost 20 years. I can imagine how your vegetables taste
But for beef and pizza things are much more difficult. Every beef lover country has different ways of cutting beef cuts, different ways of growing cows and different styles of cooking and eating. Same goes for pizza

I have never been in Usa so I am curious
What is this you are showing? You buy it like this frozen at the supermarket or in vacuum bags from butcher shops?
It looks like different pieces of beef ensambled together with fat. Is this beeflot? I see you use oil on top of it. I would use the own fat to grease the surface of the cooking area. Do you cook this with electricity? If you do, is there any way you can control the temperature while cooking with electricity? I found you cant regulate it well as you do with gas cooking
View attachment 18751526
Is this rump stake? How do you cook it? Very high fire in a short time? How many minutes cooking? Looks like 5-10 minutes at most
View attachment 18751528
What is this cut?
View attachment 18751529
This one looks like natural unprocessed cut beef for stews, what cut is it?
View attachment 18751527

This is for comparison, it is not easy to find this stuff where I live, I am lucky
This below is a striploin I cut myself. I buy about 4 pounds of striploin at the butcher and I cut it transversally instead of longitudinally
This is from grass fed cow. I dont eat feedlot beef. For me grassfed is sativa and feedlot is indica
This is Punto Rojo steak. This is one pound/450grams. You laugh and are happy at life after eating this marvel
I cook it 45 minutes in a beefsteak pan in very low gas fire, almost as low fire as the one you use for cooking rice. I like it well done and well cooked. Tenderness is not related to fat
The difference in the amount of fat in Usa beef and southamerican grass fed is h-u-g-e
View attachment 18751531
Same like with cannabis, all market here is for indicas and sativas are a bad word and all beef is beeflot and grassfed is disregarded.
Thanks for showing, this is very interesting. Gravy is also very difficult to imagine what is their taste
Have a nice day!
Things coming inside and out - it's part of our life, and growing organic.. I bring thousands of lbs of food from outside inside and store it in various parts of my home, I balance this with my indoor growing - balance is the key to a lot of things in life, growing teaches you this daily in my experiences

Growing Season - My frost free season is 165-170 days - I extend this a lot, I can heat the GH, and I do to keep it to about minimum 33F when I am finishing things in there and / or to around 25F if growing root veggies, I'll probably set it to 40F for the cannabis in there this fall as they are just starting to shoot pistols now.....

Greens and Root Veggies - for the most part they are cool / warm season crops, when it gets hotter they bolt on you, or taste like shit IME, depending on where you are consider this..... Garlic here I plant in the fall, normally late Sept or early Oct so it can set roots, then go dormant and get covered by snow.... They start growing early spring, often up through the snow, garlic planted here in fall vs spring doubles or more in size - everywhere is different, even 10 miles down the road from me gets 100 inches less snow a year than I do :)

Cuts of meat & food - we buy 90% + our meat from a local butcher (not many left) that specializes in grass fed and free range, one of the cuts you pictured I shared was not from this butcher the others were... 1st meat cut was called a Ribeye, second is a full cut of Brisket (flat & point) and the last was Beef short ribs, all are easy to find where I live and in most all the states, it's why everyone is so fat here :) - I can buy here SA grass fed beef, Japanese, Australian etc, or local grass fed, the local is cheaper, fresher, similar quality..... The grocery store, hormone raised mid-western bulk beef, cheap is cheap, you get what you pay for - it feeds a lot of people for what they can afford, many too much so....

You should watch this documentary, I want to visit Korea - some amazing quality beef and neat cooking methods within :) -

PS: you can sous vide your beef too buddy, then sear it at the end, perfection :) - I like to cook my super hot 650F or so, put a sear on outside, lock all juices in then turn it down.. that's fast over gas, I also have a couple smokers. and a large fire pit setup I cook over coals, low and slow.... Lots of great ways to cook meat, when there's 4-5' snow on the ground, the gas grill just outside the door, shoveled out, next to the jacuzzi, also shoveled out, is clutch :)

led05

Chasing The Present
Saw the invite to here on the other thread and wow, you are busy and killing it. K+
thank you for kind words and swinging by

It's official. I would volunteer to be your neighbor...Don't think that honey wants to move again, tho...
howdy lady - you can bring the bees, I don't have any yet though been thinking about it, we are already feeding them, and there's thousands , might as well collect from them.....

Latest posts

Latest posts