What's new

Summer growin - HOT HOT HOT

theherbalizor

Veteran
Thanks guys.

Well today is day one. On Friday I installed the scrog nets. Gave them their 37 hour dark and these photos are from 1'hour into their first day flower.

As you can see, they now barely show any signs that they have been cut back. Except for their height of course.

Temps are a little high. 37 deg c at the side of tent parallel to the lamps and 32 deg at canopy.

I may install some dump fans which are an rvk 100 per lamp that just suck the coolest air from the base of the tent and then dumps it over the shade. Helps with equalising temps and with air movement.

Anyway, day 1.

picture.php
picture.php

Couple shots of lighting

picture.php
picture.php

drgr33nuk

Quality grow ! Will be watching. Gavita have released their controller but unfortunately you need the new e-ballast to use !! Not good if you just forked out best part of 400 quid for the old style :/

theherbalizor

Veteran
Quality grow ! Will be watching. Gavita have released their controller but unfortunately you need the new e-ballast to use !! Not good if you just forked out best part of 400 quid for the old style :/

Thank you.

Yes I was looking at their new controllers. Not something I need or would use so I'm happy sticking with my old original pro 600w 400v.

Ok so it's day 7 today. Boy what a hot week we have had. Doesn't really get any hotter here in UK and my night time temps ( plants day time ) have reached a max of 35 at canopy. And their night time, or basically the lowest temp has been 31 deg. So virtually no differential, less stretch, happy herbalizer.

Plants still on 1.2 ec with multizym, root lx and headmasta. The CJ looks like it needs a touch of calmag, which I have just applied to her. The rest will start getting cal mag from day 14 as I want to keep the stardawg happy and not over stretch her with N.

As you can see they are growing well, you would never know I hacked them in half about 10 days ago.

The tent day 7

picture.php

yts farmer

Veteran
looks good and glad im here at the start of this 1.

if i remember rightly the last 1 of these returned a seriously impressive yield for a 1.5mtr sq

do you think you can surpass your last return considering this flowering stage will be in the summer months?

a friend is trying to finnish off his grow in a loft and the heat is made his plants go a bit mental.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
temps are a major pain in the hole eh mate, I just spent a small fortune on cool tubes and a 1500m3 box fan (for 2 tiny little tents..lmao) I've been dragging air in from a room elsewhere in the house (north facing) all in all I'm managing to keep temps 2 deg below the ambient room temp (result).

so I was curious about your scrog technique? I see you fill the space then put the nets down... I always grow mine into the screen and fill it that way (about 50% before flip) and then let the rest fill in stretch...my question was, how much training do you do after flipping? is there any room to pull branches back under or do you just let it run wild?

cheers
j

theherbalizor

Veteran
looks good and glad im here at the start of this 1.

if i remember rightly the last 1 of these returned a seriously impressive yield for a 1.5mtr sq

do you think you can surpass your last return considering this flowering stage will be in the summer months?

a friend is trying to finnish off his grow in a loft and the heat is made his plants go a bit mental.

Well I always aim to get at least 20-25 oz per 600w unless I know the strain is a super lower yielder. My last few grows have been steadily declining to around 20oz per light. Had me scratching my head. But then realised I have never changed these bulbs. So I'm now rocking brand new bulbs. Been 2.5 years. Lol

I don't know about yield on these tho, they should be fairly good as large plants, but all the plants are unknown entities to me, all new strains.

Yes heat can be a bitch, but I never find it causes too many probs, so long as the air flow is up to scratch, all should be good.

temps are a major pain in the hole eh mate, I just spent a small fortune on cool tubes and a 1500m3 box fan (for 2 tiny little tents..lmao) I've been dragging air in from a room elsewhere in the house (north facing) all in all I'm managing to keep temps 2 deg below the ambient room temp (result).

so I was curious about your scrog technique? I see you fill the space then put the nets down... I always grow mine into the screen and fill it that way (about 50% before flip) and then let the rest fill in stretch...my question was, how much training do you do after flipping? is there any room to pull branches back under or do you just let it run wild?

cheers
j

Well done on your temps. I'm used to growing in high heats as been growing in lofts and attics for over 15 years.

I wouldn't really call these a true scrog, for the reasons you said. As said, these have been cut back in half and the screens are more to ensure equal distance between colas and equal canopies. I do do some tucking on some more wild stretchy branches, but mainly I super crop. Lots of bending and snapping, where required.

I also do not remove any lower growth until after day 14 and don't thin out till day 21. This gives the plants more bud sites to concentrate its energy on and not to stretch so much. This is the biggest mistake I see people make. They trim all the lowers and thin out far too early, causing excess stretch and in return lower yields and more unwieldy plants.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
Well I always aim to get at least 20-25 oz per 600w unless I know the strain is a super lower yielder. My last few grows have been steadily declining to around 20oz per light. Had me scratching my head. But then realised I have never changed these bulbs. So I'm now rocking brand new bulbs. Been 2.5 years. Lol

I don't know about yield on these tho, they should be fairly good as large plants, but all the plants are unknown entities to me, all new strains.

Yes heat can be a bitch, but I never find it causes too many probs, so long as the air flow is up to scratch, all should be good.

Well done on your temps. I'm used to growing in high heats as been growing in lofts and attics for over 15 years.

I wouldn't really call these a true scrog, for the reasons you said. As said, these have been cut back in half and the screens are more to ensure equal distance between colas and equal canopies. I do do some tucking on some more wild stretchy branches, but mainly I super crop. Lots of bending and snapping, where required.

I also do not remove any lower growth until after day 14 and don't thin out till day 21. This gives the plants more bud sites to concentrate its energy on and not to stretch so much. This is the biggest mistake I see people make. They trim all the lowers and thin out far too early, causing excess stretch and in return lower yields and more unwieldy plants.

cool... it sounds (and looks) like a good technique, I'm interested to hear about the supercropping aspect as I just had to do this on my latest scrog (and never had to before) in the end I went for a kind of stadium effect and left the ones around the outsides un-bent.. anyway, they seem to be flourishing so maybe I'll continue doing this later on too :)

also agree with you about people getting too excited and stripping out too early.. I think the main thing people fail to consider is that until theres lots of fat colas everywhere, that they should be trying to make a frame for these fat colas to sit on.. I learned early on to concentrate on the plant that it will be and not the plant that it is :)

anyway, your screen looks great mate.. she'll be bursting at the seams in no time :D

theherbalizor

Veteran
Cheers guys. Update coming shortly. Took the stuff out from under canopy today. I just love this technique. If I do a normal run with no cut back I find I can fill a bin bag with under canopy crap. This way I filled about half a Sainsburys carrier bag. Plants have put all their energy into creating colas.

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
Wow that node spacing is real tight. Looks like this technique has completely cut out the stretch! Those colas are gonna be solid batons!

Peace

Dank Demon

Growing herb is a way of life!
Veteran
Nice herbs mate, just out of interest what size tent are you using for the BM? sorry if you have posted it already :)

theherbalizor

Veteran
Thanks very much for the kind words guys.

Nice herbs mate, just out of interest what size tent are you using for the BM? sorry if you have posted it already :)

This is in a DR150. If had more room I'd probably go back to a dr240w and add a third 600w.