What's new

SULFUR PLASMA LIGHTING!!!! 100% SUN

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Krunchbubble, did you have problems with radio frequency interference? Not sure if yours operated long enough to notice.

have not a clue, dont remember, this was 12 or 13 years ago!

FreeMan

mine was encased in a box with a glass shield and an exhaust fan. was vegging with it for close to week. the plants DID NOT like the light, the did the claw almost right away, but i still had faith with it, it cost some big money, had to work. but, the moms looked like absolute shit with this light, they degraded quickly.

came home on the 6th day of having it, exhaust fan burned out, blew the bulb and glass in the housing. went to the company with it to exchange it or at least something. they acted like i didnt buy it from them, even though we talked in great length about it before i bought it. they would not exchange or refund my money. so, i threw it at there glass entry door when i left....

Thanks for clearing that up man, this was exactly the discussion I had with the guy who demonstrated it to me. He said if the exhaust goes... boom! The bulb didn't spin or anything like that, it's just the exhaust blower. If it fails the bulb gets too hot and the whole thing blows. I don't really see how they can get around this problem. The exhaust would have to be guaranteed indestructible... surely no manufacturer can offer that kind of reliability.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
Hold up just a minute.

There is a new type of plasma out there. It's not the same as the old spinning-bulb light that nobody liked. It's VERY new and not many people have them, even for testing. I have a link.

http://www.gardenscure.com/420/soil-grow-journals/130296-plasma-light-test.html

It's a new light that isn't available for sale AFAIK, ]but it is not the same thing.

Googling this pays off. I'm waiting for them to come out with a vertical version.

It looks like this technology pairs well with red LED lighting as a supplement... so we'll see how it really turns out.

Any questions?
I keep telling people this but they love to hate

I am dumbfounded by all the experience out there when the product has not even hit the market yet.

Guess what guys products advance, remember atri or sega genesis???

krunchbubble

Veteran
I keep telling people this but they love to hate

I am dumbfounded by all the experience out there when the product has not even hit the market yet.

Guess what guys products advance, remember atri or sega genesis???

and i am even more dumbfounded by people who have never even tried the product, but they think its the shit and will revolutionize everything........

if this is the next big thing, i would already of heard about it or already of had it in my possession.......believe me.........

ROJO145

Veteran
Do you even grow weed Krunch?This is serious new shit for big time growers,not little closets like yours!!!

B. Friendly

Veteran
bulbs are due for a change
oh ROJO14 i have been doing this long enough, you sound like a groupy.
anyways, like i said for the millionth time half these products have not hit the market.
enjoy your comidor 64 krunch.
thanks for the imput
I'll wait til they are on the market, hope they are better than the dinosaurs you rode in on.

THC4SIM

There some new next gen of these sulphur plasma's

Plasma International to showcase next generation sulphur plasma grow lights at GROW 2010 Manchester
& also at the show they are doing in LA..

they have gotta be worth going to have a chat with about em,
they may have the spectrum sorted out these days??

we will see at grow2010.......

http://www.plasma-i.com/news-media.htm

S

secondtry

This is from a post I made to B. Friendly in a different thread:

Man that is expensive ($3,500) considering the SPD of the Hortilux Blue is better than the SP of the of plasma and a 1,000 Hortilux Blue lamp, PL reflector and NextGen ballast is only about $600-700. Hell, toss in a LightRail 3.5 for about $300 and a 6" in-line fan for about $200 for a grand total of about $1,200. And a grower has money left over to put in Co2 tank/emitter for about $300 and auto-Co2 control for about $350. That would be a much better option than spending $3,500 on a single lamp.

The SPD of that new lamp is not what I want, too much blue. Green is good and not enough red. Blue photons tend to heat up the leaf more than other photons because when the energy held in a blue photon that does not drive Pn (rate of photosynthesis) it simply heats up the leaf which isn't a good thing.

Thanks

De La Luz

750 watt

750 watt

I actually have one and have had some interesting results...

First off mine was purchased used for around $1500, I purchased it from some researchers. It's a 750 w unit and is easily as bright as a 1000w hps.

I've had great results in flower with the SP & hps 1000w side by side... fatter flowers and more of them.

In veg... the plants shot up in size VERY quickly but it's like they get way ahead of their root growth and did not perform as well after this SP veg cycle...

When i veg under T-5's and then flower under the SP it works great.

B. Friendly

Veteran

Man that is expensive ($3,500) much better option than spending $3,500 on a single lamp.
(rate of photosynthesis) it simply heats up the leaf which isn't a good thing
hanks
You'll be happy to know that the new plasma's are cooler than HPS, but i am not sure about MH bulbs. Probally similare or cooler the plasmas would be if they are recommending that they can be closer than HPS.
I use the Hortilux Blue bulbs myself but they are no good for flowering stages compared to HPS I have found over many grows.

The lamp is very simple; a hollow quartz sphere with sulphur and argon gas so it is environmentally benign and light output quality does not degrade in use.

I got that on the website linked by the OP. Is this saying that those bulbs don't burn out? Because that would be pretty sweet.

S

secondtry

Hey there,

2ndtry wrote:

The SPD of that new lamp is not what I want, too much blue. Green is good and not enough red. Blue photons tend to heat up the leaf more than other photons because when the energy held in a blue photon that does not drive Pn (rate of photosynthesis) it simply heats up the leaf which isn't a good thing.
You'll be happy to know that the new plasma's are cooler than HPS, but i am not sure about MH bulbs. Probally similare or cooler the plasmas would be if they are recommending that they can be closer than HPS.

You misunderstood what I meant. It's not radiant heat, it's the heat at leaf converted from the energy held in each blue photon. Blue photons hold the most energy, but offer the least QE (Quantum Efficiency; the ability to drive photosynthesis), thus when blue photons are not absorbed by leaf for Pn it simply becomes heat (which unfortunately increases VPD; Vapor Pressure Deficit). That is why I wrote the plasma has too much blue. Especially considering green and red photons offer the greatest Pn (rate of photosynthesis, ie. QE) than blue. What that means is the plasma lamp will heat a leaf on a per PAR range photon basis more than an HPS (with higher ratios of green and red photons).

Green photons drive Pn more than red and blue under bright white light, thus a good SPD will offer highest green and red vs. blue. That is why I like the Horltilux blue SPD, it has a lot of green and also decent red with more than sufficient blue.

BF wrote:

I use the Hortilux Blue bulbs myself but they are no good for flowering stages compared to HPS I have found over many grows.
Irradiance is what makes the biggest differentce, not SPD when the SPD's are decent for plants (ie. from a Hortilux blue, super HPS, etc). Thus a Hortilux blue at 1,000 PPFD should outperform a Super HPS at 1,000 PPFD. That is why I suggest using the Hortilux Blue 1,000 watt instead of the plasma. There is such as thing as "too much" light (ie. light saturation) and I assume the plasma can emit too much light (ie. irradiance over about 1,500 PPFD).

All that considered a Hortilux Blue 1,000w should be better for cannabis than the plasma if both are emitting the same irradiance (which is affected by distance to canopy).

I for one would SO much rather spend $2,000 (like I described above) and produce way more and way better cannabis than just buying a single $3,500 lamp...

HTH

krunchbubble

Veteran
I actually have one and have had some interesting results...

First off mine was purchased used for around $1500, I purchased it from some researchers. It's a 750 w unit and is easily as bright as a 1000w hps.

I've had great results in flower with the SP & hps 1000w side by side... fatter flowers and more of them.

In veg... the plants shot up in size VERY quickly but it's like they get way ahead of their root growth and did not perform as well after this SP veg cycle...

When i veg under T-5's and then flower under the SP it works great.

not sure if you can call that a side by side comparison, the light is overlapping each other coverage area. but, i would like to see maybe a grow diary or something of a true side by side...

krunchbubble

Veteran
Hey there,

You misunderstood what I meant. It's not radiant heat, it's the heat at leaf converted from the energy held in each blue photon. Blue photons hold the most energy, but offer the least QE (Quantum Efficiency; the ability to drive photosynthesis), thus when blue photons are not absorbed by leaf for Pn it simply becomes heat (which unfortunately increases VPD; Vapor Pressure Deficit). That is why I wrote the plasma has too much blue. Especially considering green and red photons offer the greatest Pn (rate of photosynthesis, ie. QE) than blue. What that means is the plasma lamp will heat a leaf on a per PAR range photon basis more than an HPS (with higher ratios of green and red photons).

Green photons drive Pn more than red and blue under bright white light, thus a good SPD will offer highest green and red vs. blue. That is why I like the Horltilux blue SPD, it has a lot of green and also decent red with more than sufficient blue.

Irradiance is what makes the biggest differentce, not SPD when the SPD's are decent for plants (ie. from a Hortilux blue, super HPS, etc). Thus a Hortilux blue at 1,000 PPFD should outperform a Super HPS at 1,000 PPFD. That is why I suggest using the Hortilux Blue 1,000 instead of the plasma. There is such as thing as "too much" light (ie. light saturation) and I assume the plasma can emit too much light (ie. irradiance over about 1,500 PPFD).

All that considered a Hortilux Blue 1,000w will be better for cannabis than the plasma if both are emitting the same irradiance (which is effected from distance to canopy).

I for one would SO much rather spend $2,000 (like I described above) and produce way more and way better cannabis than just buying a single $3,500 lamp...

HTH

"ya man, thats some heavy shit"

well put bro! i thought that green light could not be used by the plant, thats why people use them to see when "lights out".

what do you think about the sunpulse bulbs? id really would like your opinion on those........

S

secondtry

Hey,

Yea it's a myth that plants don't use green light, they use it better than blue or red. It has to due with the color of the leafs. Green light has much deeper penetration into the canopy (then blue or red) which is another reason I like the Hortilux Blue: it will better irradiate the lower buds/leafs than will a other HID lamps with less green than the Hortilux Blue.

I could go on and on about green photons but I am kinda tired now. The myth comes from the well known and misused chlorophyll A and B absorption spectra (wrongly used by LED makers most often) which shows peak chlorophyll absorption in blue and red. Problem being that was found with an aqueous extract from a leaf in virto (in a spectrophotometer)! Thus that absorption spectra doesn't show what happens to/from photons in vivo (i.e. the plant/leaf in it's real growing environment). We need to use PAS (Photosynthesis Action Spectra), but even that needed to be updated (and was been last year). Please see the "LED vs HID" thread for so much more info I posted to make your eyes bleed :)

I really don't like SunPluse at all! Mostly the owner (Chris?) is a total asshole and doesn't have the level of knowledge he should have (IMO). SunPluse rates their lamps with Kelvin which more stupid than rating plant lamps by lumens or watts. I once called the owner of SunPluse and asked him for SPDs and he won't give them, he says you can't compare lamps by SPD and he's right (kind of; that's a longer story). Anyway, he claimed to have many photobiologists and physicists working for him. Thus I asked to speak with one of them, or for their email; to each question he refused...I say stay far away! I like that the lamps are pulse-start vs probe-start but other than that I wouldn't spend money on them. Once I buy my spectroradiometer I told him I was going to make SPDs of his lamps and post them everywhere I can. The SunPluse could be worth it but due to the fact the owner refuses to give any useful info I say don't bother.

HTH

Latest posts

Latest posts