What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Strains with pleasant smells when burning

Ca++

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have 11 roses, a spin-off from sugar black rose iirc. The name 'Rose' is well deserved. The bank doing that first one, didn't expect the amount of interest it got. It's different enough to form it's own category. Not skunky, hazy, or as flat as ice cream. Far from flat, it's in the top 20th percentile I reckon. Lot's of Rosy smells, that are noted from early veg. Yet Roses. It is a little surprising. You can pick up notes from Cindy, but it's a loose relationship.

It's not more of the same old things, and lives right on the edge of sedative, about to fall to sleep. Not a mangled up effect, but a very satisfied mellow.

Still quite recent really. It's a big European banks product, so availability should be widespread.

Ca++

Worth adding, that if you want it to smell like it's still growing, you need moisture content. Good moisture content, that's not going to grind. Thankfully, you can add that moisture after rolling. Float a joint on a raft, in a bucket with the lid on. This can make even burnt up roaches taste near new again.

I know nobody will try it though. Not even a wet finger down the side of a half smoked J, to see the difference it makes for your pallet. This extends to simply inhaling a dry harsh tasteless J, in the stream from a humidifier. The moisture content isn't to change the green, it's to change the RH of the smoke. It makes a physical difference, that will help the taste and any gag reflex. Increasing the open airways enjoyment.

I could go on.... I do infact... but nobody has ever come back to me on this. On the contrary, I have had unknowing friends comment how nice a J is, then refuse it once they know. It's a mental block it seems. A refusal to accept they have missed such a fundamental truth.
Humidors are not just for tobacco smokers.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
Too much moisture is not good for taste but also too less. Imo remoisterizing weed will turn down the taste you want to keep the moisture from the initial drying.

I tried 2 different versions of a filter one with pumice and charcoal in it to dry the smoke. That one tasted better for me than just charcoal.
You could notice that more rh makes the smoke more dense and fuller but also kind of covered the taste.

goingrey

You're not wrong but I have had weed that still had a lot of taste when bone dry. Josh D OG from Karma for example. So it is possible.

Float in a bucket huh. I remember that old trick of rehydrating weed with an apple slice. :D Never tried it. The pro's do it with Bovedas of course.

Shua1991

20230502_121744.jpg
I had a Kandahar (ILE) hybrid that smelled like roasting pistachios. I thought it was going to be rancid, but it was Not offensive like advertised 😂 I loved it because it was unique but it had no kick, fast tolerance buildup. I guess some smells correlate with faster tolerance for me(orange too).
I have some 1.5 year old flower still and I can still smell the pistachios after smoking. It's like 100%cbn now.

Ca++

Too much moisture is not good for taste but also too less. Imo remoisterizing weed will turn down the taste you want to keep the moisture from the initial drying.

I tried 2 different versions of a filter one with pumice and charcoal in it to dry the smoke. That one tasted better for me than just charcoal.
You could notice that more rh makes the smoke more dense and fuller but also kind of covered the taste.
You were trying to dry it further? Most people are drying their hanging buds, just enough to stop them molding. Then sealing them at that, until it's time to use them. That's a global acceptance that the highest moisture level possible, is what they want. Though I don't expect everyone to want the same thing, I really don't like dry weed. I'm going to agree it's thinner, but something is missing. The best smell to me, it usually at around 6 weeks into bloom. That is my goal.

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Veteran
You were trying to dry it further?
There were dev some plants in my career that never went into a jar out of laziness. Yes those tasted and smelled less in the end of their existence.
Best smell and taste i get from vacuum sealing and freezing after the hanging. Imo the way to go to preserve the aromas. I have some one year old bags in the freezer that are almost like fresh.

kro-magnon

Veteran
There were dev some plants in my career that never went into a jar out of laziness. Yes those tasted and smelled less in the end of their existence.
Best smell and taste i get from vacuum sealing and freezing after the hanging. Imo the way to go to preserve the aromas. I have some one year old bags in the freezer that are almost like fresh.
I've smoked some 5 years buds who had been frozen for storage, they were so fresh I couldn't believe it was 5 year old. Freezing buds is the best long term storage method I've experienced, for good results you need to froze around -20°c and keep it at this temperature.​
Recently I've grown Black Cherry Punch from In House Genetics and it's one of the best smelling plants when smoked, very fruity smells and tastes, packed with terpenes giving grapes, berries and passion fruit aromas. When I smoke those buds in public people always come to ask a puff, same with the Sowahh buds but the smell profile is totally different.​

kro-magnon

Veteran
Biggest contributor to lovely room smells comes from not burning excess nutes, pesticides, bugs and fcking dust. ;) Feed light, use no pesticides and use high micron filtered air.

Almost any cannabis smells very nice.
I have come across some very offensive smelling plants and it was coming from them naturally as I am a light feeder some were awfully rancid like poop or vomit as a dominant smell that's not a very pleasant experience to smoke those type of buds. One of the most disgusting smelling female I had was from a Jillybean seed, the dominant smell was like a garbage in summer and behind there was some orange smells but the main smell was too disgusting even after a few months in the jars it was stinking badly, I couldn't smoke it.

I Care

Haha, most chem dawg staring smell straight up like dog shit and dog hair and wet dog all at the same time. When someone walks by you in the grocery store and they were smoking chemd dominant.

the one that I’ll always remember is the GDP having the best sweet smell that lingered for days after. smoked a Dutch Palma in a car one time, smelled like GDP for at least a few days even some other puffage couldn’t cover up that sweet haze smell.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Very true kro-magnon! lol Very true!
I never ended up growing those myself, but now I wonder what effect bunny poo would have on those rank strains!

Reactions: Cvh

kro-magnon

Veteran
Very true kro-magnon! lol Very true!
I never ended up growing those myself, but now I wonder what effect bunny poo would have on those rank strains
The feeding and soil play a big role in the smells/tastes that's true too, I have grown the offensive JillyBean indoor with Bio Bizz line at the time and I've grown her outdoor straight in the soil who was very rich in cow manure and there she was still offensive but it was a strong diesel/gasoline smell and taste who was also disgusting but different than the indoor grown plant. I never had such a different result with the same clone it was very strange but it shows how the food will influence the finished product, in this case the plant was still a awful stinker but with 2 different styles of stink.
The outdoor version was unsmokable for me as well but some people could and said the high was very good.

goingrey

The feeding and soil play a big role in the smells/tastes that's true too, I have grown the offensive JillyBean indoor with Bio Bizz line at the time and I've grown her outdoor straight in the soil who was very rich in cow manure and there she was still offensive but it was a strong diesel/gasoline smell and taste who was also disgusting but different than the indoor grown plant. I never had such a different result with the same clone it was very strange but it shows how the food will influence the finished product, in this case the plant was still a awful stinker but with 2 different styles of stink.
The outdoor version was unsmokable for me as well but some people could and said the high was very good.
The light spectrum makes a difference too. Sun for full flavor.

kro-magnon

Veteran
The light spectrum makes a difference too. Sun for full flavor.
The different plants I've made indoor and outdoor had the same terpene profile when grown in pots, the different light didn't change that.The only time I've seen differences was with different soil and food source.

goingrey

The different plants I've made indoor and outdoor had the same terpene profile when grown in pots, the different light didn't change that.The only time I've seen differences was with different soil and food source.
Interesting, not my experience. What lamp are you using indoors?

kro-magnon

Veteran
When I could grow indoor and outdoor I had some good old HPS, it was more than 10 years ago, I have not grown outdoor since 2011.
The soil and food will directly influence the molecules forming the terpenes, the light help the plants to function
The light intensity might do a difference in the % of terpenes and cannabinoids a bit like more sun will create more sugar in the grapes. I think grapes and cannabis are very similar and can thrive in similar soil, in grapes it's the soil who makes the taste, le terroir. I think it's the same for cannabis, the different soils will create different terpenes but not the sun.

Last edited: