What's new

~Star~Crash~ All & Everything

Loriented

Yeah thinning is a huge thing with fruit trees. A lot of stone fruit will overset if you let it. If this happens it will reduce fruit quality and Brix (sugar) and occasionally ends up making the tree biennial. Like you say the tree can only support so much fruit. But yeah apples, peaches, plums etc will only get their best and biggest fruits if you thin.

Lots of big commercial ops use chemical sprays to kill/thin the fruitlets, usually right after shuck split. Its wild reading and learning about all the chemicals needed and used to grow some fruit commercially.
The tree will naturally abort some and some will fall prematurely but on a mature tree its usually important to thin, especially dwarf/semi-dwarf fruit trees. Heres an example- A green gage plum, this fruit spur was pollinated but 3 plums was too much fruit for this tree to handle from this spot. So it put its energy into one and aborted the other two- you can see the small aborts still attached to the stem but they stopped developing.
View attachment 19023031

Never heard about thinning for tomatoes, interesting. Only thing I make sure to do is prune the suckers and try to keep a single stem and grow vertically with trellis.

edit: lol just read you wrote cherries and plum tomatoes I read it as just cherries and plums!
cherries and plums!... LOL
We have a Plum tree too. Same story. It has some kind of blight now. But yeah, I learned alot but the main thing is, not everyone agrees (Imagine that) So I an trying all kinds of things I never did, to teach myself. Also, never knew there are Determinate vs Indeterminate Tomatoes. Det* sets fruit all at once, so if you remove any flowers they will be lost. Indet* keeps growing until the frost kills it.
Not sure what is on this Plum tree
1000012559.jpg
1000012560.jpg

Loriented

Yeah thinning is a huge thing with fruit trees. A lot of stone fruit will overset if you let it. If this happens it will reduce fruit quality and Brix (sugar) and occasionally ends up making the tree biennial. Like you say the tree can only support so much fruit. But yeah apples, peaches, plums etc will only get their best and biggest fruits if you thin.

Lots of big commercial ops use chemical sprays to kill/thin the fruitlets, usually right after shuck split. Its wild reading and learning about all the chemicals needed and used to grow some fruit commercially.
The tree will naturally abort some and some will fall prematurely but on a mature tree its usually important to thin, especially dwarf/semi-dwarf fruit trees. Heres an example- A green gage plum, this fruit spur was pollinated but 3 plums was too much fruit for this tree to handle from this spot. So it put its energy into one and aborted the other two- you can see the small aborts still attached to the stem but they stopped developing.
View attachment 19023031

Never heard about thinning for tomatoes, interesting. Only thing I make sure to do is prune the suckers and try to keep a single stem and grow vertically with trellis.

edit: lol just read you wrote cherries and plum tomatoes I read it as just cherries and plums!
1000012561.jpg

Tiny pears, due to not pruning/thinning

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, laughing kookaburra, they're cool birds, not timid at all, sometimes you can pat em if you feed em

They're such cool birds. I wake most mornings to their laughter, either them or a pair of grey butcher birds which have a beautiful song.

Check this lyrebird it can imitate a kookaburra, chainsaw, camera shutters, motor drives and other sounds they hear in the forest.

Jump to 1.14 to skip the intro.

Lyrebirds Are remarkable

laszlokovacs

cherries and plums!... LOL
We have a Plum tree too. Same story. It has some kind of blight now. But yeah, I learned alot but the main thing is, not everyone agrees (Imagine that) So I an trying all kinds of things I never did, to teach myself. Also, never knew there are Determinate vs Indeterminate Tomatoes. Det* sets fruit all at once, so if you remove any flowers they will be lost. Indet* keeps growing until the frost kills it.
Not sure what is on this Plum tree
View attachment 19023359 View attachment 19023361
That is black knot pretty sure. Not a great thing to see on trees. You can cut it out and burn/cauterize the stubs to get rid of it. But thats a pretty bad infestation and might be a lot to cut out and the tree might already. Plums can be a pain to grow especially here in the northeast where I am, a lot of trees will develop this and decline or die unless they get a good spraying schedule.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is black knot pretty sure. Not a great thing to see on trees. You can cut it out and burn/cauterize the stubs to get rid of it. But thats a pretty bad infestation and might be a lot to cut out and the tree might already. Plums can be a pain to grow especially here in the northeast where I am, a lot of trees will develop this and decline or die unless they get a good spraying schedule.
would love to have my own set a fruit trees it’s always been on my mind I end up being so busy with growing cannabis nothing else gets done horticulturally speaking

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
I had a tree that looked like that in my backyard. Now it's cut up and deep in the woods. Couldn't beat whatever it was on the tree and it was just dying slowly so had to get rid of it. Good luck @Loriented

Loriented

its on the whole tree, everywhere. it looks gross

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a bit worn out went hard yesterday and then took advantage of the early evening light hopped on my tractor did the backyard in the village until 9:20 PM yes indeed think today gonna kick back and take it easy a little bit at the point for
more trellising securing staking, etc.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Showing off my new machine to the young guy who used to do the backyard for me. He noticed I was missing the cap & washer and the clip that holds left the front tire on for goodness sake. went got the parts(set me back two hours.)