What's new

~Star~Crash~ All & Everything

laszlokovacs

I just read about pruning vs. topping vs. thinning tomatoes. I knew what pruning and topping was, and assumed thinning was like pruning, but it’s not. Thinning is if you are growing large tomatoes, remove all but 1 or 2 flowers from each vine, so they can get bigger….. I know, I am little behind in the learning curve…. But this is cool,,, I figure why not try it on some of the cherries and plums tomatoes too, maybe not only leave one or two, but take a couple away, letting more room for the others,,, like the ones that have 20 flowers, remove about 10, or remove all but the tip on some, to see how it turns out…. 😊… but then there are different things that could happen during topping too. Like topping at the beginning will increase the bushiness, if you want a bush, and/or topping near the end of the season sends all energy to any remaining fruit. I never used to prune, but I did a little here and there this year. We will see how it all goes.
Yeah thinning is a huge thing with fruit trees. A lot of stone fruit will overset if you let it. If this happens it will reduce fruit quality and Brix (sugar) and occasionally ends up making the tree biennial. Like you say the tree can only support so much fruit. But yeah apples, peaches, plums etc will only get their best and biggest fruits if you thin.

Lots of big commercial ops use chemical sprays to kill/thin the fruitlets, usually right after shuck split. Its wild reading and learning about all the chemicals needed and used to grow some fruit commercially.
The tree will naturally abort some and some will fall prematurely but on a mature tree its usually important to thin, especially dwarf/semi-dwarf fruit trees. Heres an example- A green gage plum, this fruit spur was pollinated but 3 plums was too much fruit for this tree to handle from this spot. So it put its energy into one and aborted the other two- you can see the small aborts still attached to the stem but they stopped developing.
IMG_8514 2.jpg

Never heard about thinning for tomatoes, interesting. Only thing I make sure to do is prune the suckers and try to keep a single stem and grow vertically with trellis.

edit: lol just read you wrote cherries and plum tomatoes I read it as just cherries and plums!

Last edited:

Loriented

Lmaoo yeah bro thinning is a huge thing with fruit trees. A lot of stone fruit will overset if you let it. If this happens it will reduce fruit quality and Brix (sugar) and occasionally ends up making the tree biennial. Like you say the tree can only support so much fruit. But yeah apples, peaches, plums etc will only get their best and biggest fruits if you thin.

Lots of big commercial ops use chemical sprays to kill/thin the fruitlets, usually right after shuck split. Its wild reading and learning about all the chemicals needed and used to grow some fruit commercially.
The tree will naturally abort some and some will fall prematurely but on a mature tree its usually important to thin, especially dwarf/semi-dwarf fruit trees. Heres an example- A green gage plum, this fruit spur was pollinated but 3 plums was too much fruit for this tree to handle from this spot. So it put its energy into one and aborted the other two- you can see the small aborts still attached to the stem but they stopped developing.
View attachment 19023031

Never heard about thinning for tomatoes, interesting. Only thing I make sure to do is prune the suckers and try to keep a single stem and grow vertically with trellis.
Right. We have pear trees that we never pruned, thinned or anything, and the fruit is like the size of a dime now. The 1st few years they had fruit worth eating, but oh well, never had time. And there is a local orchard that went out of business, and the trees look like a jungle now.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m not getting stuff done quick enough :oops: :whip: Transplanting is going slower than I thought watering and feeding is taking longer than I would have imagined once again wow