What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Smoking high strength cannabis may damage nerve fibres in brain

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Study suggests high levels of skunk use may affect the brain’s white matter, making communication between the right and left hemispheres less efficient
1176.jpg

The brain’s white matter seen from the front as obtained by diffusion tensor imaging. Photograph: Institute of Psychiatry
Ian Sample Science editor

High-strength cannabis may damage nerve fibres that handle the flow of messages across the two halves of the brain, scientists claim. Brain scans of people who regularly smoked strong skunk-like cannabis revealed subtle differences in the white matter that connects the left and right hemispheres and carries signals from one side of the brain to the other.

The changes were not seen in those who never used cannabis or smoked only the less potent forms of the drug, the researchers found.

The study is thought to be the first to look at the effects of cannabis potency on brain structure, and suggests that greater use of skunk may cause more damage to the corpus callosum, making communications across the brain’s hemispheres less efficient.

Paola Dazzan, a neurobiologist at the Institute of Psychiatry at King’s College London, said the effects appeared to be linked to the level of active ingredient, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), in cannabis. While traditional forms of cannabis contain 2 to 4 % THC, the more potent varieties (of which there are about 100), can contain 10 to 14% THC, according to the DrugScope charity.

“If you look at the corpus callosum, what we’re seeing is a significant difference in the white matter between those who use high potency cannabis and those who never use the drug, or use the low-potency drug,” said Dazzan. The corpus callosum is rich in cannabinoid receptors, on which the THC chemical acts.

1176.jpg

A DTI image of the corpus callosum, as seen from the side, is shown in red on and superimposed on a background MRI image of the brain. Photograph: Institute of Psychiatry

“The difference is there whether you have psychosis or not, and we think this is strictly related to the potency of the cannabis,” she added. Details of the study are reported in the journal Psychological Medicine.

The researchers used two scanning techniques, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), to examine the corpus callosum, the largest region of white matter, in the brains of 56 patients who had reported a first episode of psychosis, and 43 healthy volunteers from the local community.

The scans found that daily users of high-potency cannabis had a slightly greater – by about 2% – “mean diffusivity” in the corpus callosum. “That reflects a problem in the white matter that ultimately makes it less efficient,” Dazzan told the Guardian. “We don’t know exactly what it means for the person, but it suggests there is less efficient transfer of information.”

The study cannot confirm that high levels of THC in cannabis cause changes to white matter. As Dazzan notes, it is may be that people with damaged white matter are more likely to smoke skunk in the first place.

“It is possible that these people already have a different brain and they are more likely to use cannabis. But what we can say is if it’s high potency, and if you smoke frequently, your brain is different from the brain of someone who smokes normal cannabis, and from someone who doesn’t smoke cannabis at all,” she said.

So smoking skunk causes psychosis, but milder cannabis doesn't?
Read more
But even with the uncertainty over cause and effect, she urged users and public health workers to change how they think about cannabis use. “When it comes to alcohol, we are used to thinking about how much people drink, and whether they are drinking wine, beer, or whisky. We should think of cannabis in a similar way, in terms of THC and the different contents cannabis can have, and potentially the effects on health will be different,” she said.

“As we have suggested previously, when assessing cannabis use, it is extremely important to gather information on how often and what type of cannabis is being used. These details can help quantify the risk of mental health problems and increase awareness of the type of damage these substances can do to the brain,” she added.

In February, Dazzan and others at the Institute of Psychiatry reported that the ready availability of skunk in south London might be behind a rise in the proportion of new cases of psychosis being attributed to cannabis.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...rength-cannabis-skunk-may-damage-nerves-brain

CoCoSativas

I find indicas dummy me right out. I turn into a fucking zombie so I don't smoke em for the most part. Lol wouldn't that be crazy if strong indicas really made people dumb. This sounds like a propoganda study but what the hell maybe there's something too it.

I read about studies but even if they said dope would rot your brain and proved it I'd still toke I like it.

Lol someone 1 starred it pretty quick.

liftedinny

How stupid are some people . Studies like these make me wanna puke /hunt down the author and make them smoke some "high grade "skunk see how stupid they get after a couple days lol

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a stupid theory. Who pays this morons salary again?

Total B/S

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The study cannot confirm that high levels of THC in cannabis cause changes to white matter. As Dazzan notes, it is may be that people with damaged white matter are more likely to smoke skunk in the first place.

“It is possible that these people already have a different brain and they are more likely to use cannabis. But what we can say is if it’s high potency, and if you smoke frequently, your brain is different from the brain of someone who smokes normal cannabis, and from someone who doesn’t smoke cannabis at all,” she said.
this is why I ddn't post the article, though I don't say this to invalidate the original poster, but simply more and more this seems to eb the case, that marijuana bridges the gap with many mind disorders. In this light the study could be also interpreted as high powered cannabis relieves issues in people with bran nerve damage.

I can smoke an insane amount of very potent cannabis and oil and mentally function well. Seems a bit over the top that it causes never damage. We would have far more brain illness in pot smokers if this where the case.

youngsta

I love the way low potency cannabis is equated with high potency bud that's only diluted. We all know that smoking two grams of 5% and a half gram of 20% puts the same amount of THC in our system, but who's ever heard of organically grown schwag?

We call low potency bud "dirt weed" for good reason, and dirt is probably the least harmful adulterant you'll find in garbage bud. What's the long term effects of smoking seed, pesticide, bugs, dust, molds, and whatever else may have been spilled on the buds before you got it.

I've gotten bud that smelled like a wet sponge, and I refused to smoke it, but I'm just one person. There are probably metric TONS of bud in the world that fit the same description being smoked as we speak. Studies like this help no one.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
While some of the conclusions are dubious, as a whole it still has merit.

Who can't spot the difference between a hardcore dabber and an occasional toker of light sativa?

I've watched incredibly smart people dab themselves retarded and still think it has no effect on their performance. The more sober observers tend to disagree.

"Oh but I'm different, I'm just fine when I..."

Sure you are. And the alky stumbling over his own words and feet who claims the same is also correct (only within the confines of his own mind though).

Some of you sure get your knicks in a knot when your idols are questioned. Cannabis is a drug, to believe it only has positive effects is ostrich mentality.

The brain of an occasional drinker is different from a lifelong alcoholic. Few would question this. Who hasn't claimed LSD, mushrooms, etc, changed their perspective/outlook on life? Do you think it was a result of a change in your kidneys or gall bladder?

There is nothing special about cannabis. It has many medicinal and practical (manufacturing) uses, but then so do most drugs.

Knot those panties ladies.

Free this, freedom that, but don't question the one they hold close to their heart.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Note that this study was done out of Kings College of London. These studies always seem to come out of Kings College. Seems it's their bread and butter. When I started reading this I assumed it was from Kings College.

The article has a mix of authors speaking but it's somewhat confusing as to who's who.

The above statement is really out of place. It relates to the intent of the research project as they described... Kings College is always working to link cannabis and psychosis. But the brain tissue alteration was found to not relate to psychosis. It is a phenomena that seems only associated with heavy THC dosage but it didn't correlate with psychosis. So that sentence is a red herring I believe, placed by the article's author. (not you Al)

PTSD is associated with reduction of matter in the corpus callosum.

Here is another diffusion weighted imaging study with authors from Australia and Boston, who had findings similar to the Kings College study.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/766633

54 people in the study and they claim 2% higher risk?????? So one person in their study showed less active white matter? Great study "science." (sarcasm)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of you confuse a study with accepted fact or a declaration of believed truth. This is nothing more than a presentation of findings, from a dubious source at that, as CR has pointed out, drawn from a small group of subjects.

But please, continue to react hysterically...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i Smoked the "skunk", starting at an age of around 13 and upward for my whole youth from then on. I got honour roll average all through high school, and am generally looked upon as on the ball. I dont believe the long term heavy skunk use did nerve damage to the brain, if anything, it may have helped me, as many stoners in school wouldnt go to class and dropped out early. I always went to class, reeking like skunk :D

theclearspot

Some of you confuse a study with accepted fact or a declaration of believed truth. This is nothing more than a presentation of findings, from a dubious source at that, as CR has pointed out, drawn from a small group of subjects.

But please, continue to react hysterically...

Yes and also knowledge about the brain is in its infancy. Only the tip of the iceberg has been understood. Most of the 'knowledge' about language learning, for example is conjecture and one study contradicts another. There are large unanswered questions about the functions of various parts of the brain. The crew at Kings College, If I remember correctly, are funded by government in the UK. Being funded by government in the UK means towing the party line. So you have huge swathes of academia, hospitals, etc basically concocting lies to justify their paymasters. If you had a society based on honest discourse then this wouldn't happen.

* Reaches for the Skunk pipe...:tiphat:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
yes, it "may"...but, alcohol is PROVEN to destroy your brain & liver, but it is still legal & taxed. lets swap "possibly" damaging weed for "absolutely" damaging alcohol & put drinkers in jail for fifty or sixty years. turn about is fair play...:tiphat:

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
you should see all the US Vietnam veterans who tried to drink their pain away only to live with WET Brain. a Couple Residence towers worth, here anyway. The VA houses them for life

If your interested in cutting edge Brian Info i recommend the resent PBS Brain Documentary, 6 hour long shows

Here are the file names as I located them, Search your favorite Torrent under TV shows

PBS.The.Brain.with.David.Eagleman.6of6.Who.Will.We.Be.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.mp4
PBS.The.Brain.with.David.Eagleman.5of6.Why.Do.I.Need.You.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.mp4
PBS.The.Brain.with.David.Eagleman.4of6.How.Do.I.Decide.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.mp4
PBS.The.Brain.with.David.Eagleman.3of6.Who.is.in.Control.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.mp4
PBS.The.Brain.with.David.Eagleman.2of6.What.Makes.Me.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.mp4
PBS.The.Brain.with.David.Eagleman.1of6.What.is.Reality.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC.mp4

PBS is also adverting to buy the show on DVD so its up to you.

Last edited: