What's new

Smart Meters - a few common misconceptions cleared up here.

Double F

residential growing will become pointless soon, unless you are just doing a small room for personal use. CARE sends out a letter every single year asking to verify your income if you are in the program, if they dont believe you they will audit and you will need to send tax information.

everything will be shifting to commericial or business power....growing in residential houses sucks.

babelfish

quoting myself:
ok i was able to validate that in california the devices they have rolled out for RESIDENTIAL are measuring in 'ticks' per 15min. there are meters capable of 'seeing' a toaster or whatever (think measurement resolutions would be sub second), but currently they have not implemented devices capable of this. why?

1. they COST much more
2. they don't want their workers to be targets.

LITERALLY. organizations have asked and they refused. this could be different in other jurisdictions, but if i had a few model numbers to work with we could get a very good picture of what they are capable of in your area.

they are not connected to the network all the time, and are triggered remotely. these guys just want to charge you, and frankly would be happy to upgrade your transformer. sure, don't use 20kw in a 1 bedroom house, but in general they really don't give a shit as long as you're not stealing the power. _in socal_. again, ymmv.

now, in general one should expect in a _residential_ situation they will NOT see the flip flop. they will see a count of ticks over time. i.e. counter is at x. now counter is at y. they then see that over the interval you used __ power. if you feel sketchy about using power in a 12/12 cycle then work out a way to use it 24-7. and, i found out some other interesting stuff. most of the extra features the more expensive meters have have to do with power line quality and such. so, PAY YOUR MOTHINGFUCKING GODDAMN BILL. YOU USED IT, SO PAY IT. AND DON'T BE LATE. he even mentioned something about 'o geez i put in 3 of these super huge super freezers for my food, i needz me more power' as being FULLY legit. notice its an item that uses power 24-7? :)

so my advice of a UPS that's big enough to power any devices you want to hide from monitoring? yeah. totally good to go. again validated with someone involved in the rollout.

best piece of advice?
1. be as legal as you can in your area
2. pay your bills
3. don't be an asshole to your neighbors

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
And of course we now have "exploding smart meters"...WTF?

"STOCKTON (CBS13) — A power surge left thousands without power for most of the day in Stockton after smart meters on their homes exploded on Monday.

The explosions started after a truck crashed into a utility pole, causing a surge around 8:30 a.m. on Monday morning.

When the customers in more than 5,000 homes get their power back on will depend on how badly damaged their meters are.

Neighbors in the South Stockton area described it as a large pop, a bomb going off, and strong enough to shake a house.

“The neighbor across the street, his meter doesn’t look as bad but his receptacles are all blackened.” said Brad Abernathy.

PG&E says a dump truck crashed near its Alpine substation on Arch Road. When the truck hit the utility pole, the top wire fell onto the bottom wire, creating a power surge.

“The top lines are considered our freeways. The bottom lines are our distribution lines taking power directly to homes,” said PG&E spokeswoman Brandi Ehlers. “So when the two collide, they’re at different voltages and the higher voltage wins out, causing an overload.”

Power is expected to be back to most customers by Monday evening, but the damage varies by home."

Source: http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/03/30/stockton-smart-meters-explode-after-truck-causes-power-surge/

Asslover

Veteran
A high bill is what they used with old meters, with the smart meters the look for the electronic signature that spikes when you turn it on as well as usage pattern (timers).

as far as I know anyway

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me clarify; here in Florida myself and quite a few others all run several thousand watts of lights with multiple mini splits per room, etc. W regularly pull down 4 digit electric bills and no one has ever heard a peep from the electric company.
Now, if the POLICE is looking at your usage then they already have a clue as to what you're doing.
Pay your bill, don't blow transformers and you will be fine.

Last edited:

Therrion

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let me clarify; here in Florida myself and quite a few others all run several thousand watts of lights with multiple mini splits per room, etc. W regularly pull down 4 digit electric bills and no one has ever heard a peep from the electric company.
Now, if the POLICE is looking at your usage then they already have a clue as to what you're doing.
Pay your bill, don't blow transformers and you will be fine.
Do you have a smart meter? I live in Georgia and that shit has me nervous as hell. I only use 2600w. My old house didn't have one , but my new one does.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Never leave your bills unpaid!

The electric company intsalled a smart meter at my old place about a year before I moved. Nobody else within a few miles had one that I'm aware of. Now the entire grid is being replaced w smart meters.

sshz

I've had a smart meter for over 2 years now.......using two 1000 watt HPS lights. No problems, just pay your bill on time.

redlaser

Veteran
Opt out of the smart meter, say your concerned about radiation or rfi on your health. It’s an option with PGandE in California at least.

A guy I know used to install them when they first came out in California.

He gets one mostly to avoid the peak pricing tiers, but also to avoid being monitored.

Costs 20$ extra per month for the analog, they say to come out to read it, but they only read it every other month

His monthly bill is 350-450, has about 2,500 kWh worth of a grow, plus a three person household in that bill.

I need to ask him more about the billing part because they must show a kWh charge somewhere. It’s hard to believe they give much of a break for analog, but it seems he is saving 200$ possibly compared to some of my bills.

I currently don’t have analog, my usage is pretty low, but may switch meters this year.

sshz

I looked into switching back before.....I'm on the east coast mid-atlantic. I believe they want to charge me $35 monthly to have someone come out to read it. No tier pricing here, but one county over where I lived years ago did tier pricing since i was a "heavy" residential user. My bills range from $260-$525 monthly, with summers and the A/C the worst.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Idgaf about snoopers trying to catch me i use massive wattage on my property on all sorts of equipment in a day my issue with these fucking things is more the micro pulsing of high frequency electromagnetic signals every 6 seconds.. just so once every 6 months or whatever a guy can lazily just drive by and collect the info..

If all these so called "smart" devices are just going to be filling my living space with none native electromagnetic pollution then its just the next generation of invisible lifespan reducing toxins.. being slowly microwaved to death.. imo..

Living cells dont like being exposed to electromagnetic frequencies that are unnatural like bluetooth or wifi or microwaves operate within.. it increases cancer cell division and suppresses branches of the immune system as well.

Dont freak out just be suspicious of "smart" this and "smart" that because "smart" cities and citizens are where the pseudo neo liberal (hidden hard right fascists) think tanks and their politicians are trying to take us to supposedly stop climate change and terrorism.. both of which are big govt. invented bullshit..

The parish records here in the UK that go back to the 1600s show these patterns are totally normal within the sun and solar systems electrical cycles. If anything things have been very calm for a long time now but shit is changing. "Smart" devices are inherently dumbing us down in the name of saving some cash for the money lenders.

Humanities co2 production within the scale of the carbon cycle and the truth that all of the energy here comes from the sun and electromagnetism, is so negligible it borders on insane or childish to link it with changes that are so obviously correlected with the suns activity. Excess co2 is easily reduced and fixed by algal blooms in the oceans as well.. green is the new red and black.

dddaver

Veteran
I felt bad about giving disagreeing rep. I never do that but the system won't let me go back in and give agreeing rep, negating that. Even though I still feel that's just your opinion, contradicting itself and entirely devoid of facts.

So no climate change effects but microwaves and electromagnetic radiation are bad for cells? Did I get that right?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I felt bad about giving disagreeing rep. I never do that but the system won't let me go back in and give agreeing rep, negating that. Even though I still feel that's just your opinion, contradicting itself and entirely devoid of facts.

So no climate change effects but microwaves and electromagnetic radiation are bad for cells? Did I get that right?

Climate change is real.. it always has been.. where im stood has been a desert, tundra, under water and a jungle.. is it caused by man made co2? Thats absolutely utterly laughable to me, but ive got science degrees etc and spent multiple 1000s of hours going through research and reading books dont get me started, ive got a library.. ive got my own brain ya dig? I dont just listen to "scientists"..

Your opinion means less than nothing to me. The people that know know, the sheeple just go with the tide :ying:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts